January 2016 Moms

Feeding baby!

I wanted to start a thread to help some mommas with ideas on what to feed baby. We do baby led weaning, so if your baby has had purees i wouldn't recommend this approach. I've been fortunate to have a baby who loves food. It's been a busy few days so we kept it simple this morning and had some halved grapes.

Re: Feeding baby!

• Our girl loves just about everything! Our biggest successes are cucumber, berries, pasta, and corn. She LOVES green beans. She also loves meat! We usually go the "big" route. Instead of cutting meat up really tiny, we give her one big strip (like a fajita strip, or we'll cut a strip off of a pork chop.) She loves it! She gnaws on it, and will suck the juices out, but no concern of choking. (She has one tooth.) 9 months today! Here she is this past weekend, devouring a pancake. 
  • ETA: Dont know why they didn't post together. Pancake girl!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah we do big pieces too. Haven't tried pasta yet, daddy is convinced she'll choke on everything. I have some zucchini noodles we're going to try tonight. Violet has 4 teeth!
  • Thanks for this thread! I feel I get boring withmeals for her as we dont alwaysssss eat healthy so the nights we don't, I make her a seperate dinner.  This isnt often just once a week. Lunch is where I get stuck. Anyways heres some stuff we eat:

breakfast: quiche (with spinach and broccoli, eggs milk garlic powder) scrambled eggs, toast with a tiny bit of jam or butter. Havent tried pancakes yet. We do french toast too. Also no matter what we make she has some fruit. Bananas, berries, apples. She loves whole apples, so we peel it and give her the whole thing. 6 teeth so she just gnaws and gets tiny chunks off. 

Lunch is tricky. We do veggies with chicken, "pizza" (pita with sauce and cheese), avocado with berries. 

Dinners easy. Pasta. Meat and veggies. Beans and lentils. 
  • Does anyone give raw veggies? How do you go about it without them choking? Like peppers, carrots, cucumber. Stuff thats hard. 
  • cali1710 said:
    Does anyone give raw veggies? How do you go about it without them choking? Like peppers, carrots, cucumber. Stuff thats hard. 
    We cut them into thin strips, about 3-5 mm thick. For harder veggies, like carrots, I put them in water and nuke them in the microwave for a minute or two to soften them first. But LO can handle raw peppers and cucumbers no problem. She also loves pickles, which was a surprise!
  • Breakfast:
    -Egg
    -Apple
    -Avocado
    -Quick Oats (I just pour boiled water over them and let them sit for a few mins)
    -Toast with peanut butter (crusts removed, cut into strips)

Lunch:
    -Lentil soup
    -Any Breakfast Foods

Dinner:
    -Chicken Breasts (cut in strips)
    -Salmon or Sole (strips)
    -Potato (Mashed or cubed)
    -Wild rice
    -Squash (halved, shucked and baked for 45-60 mins)
    -Broccoli/Carrots/Corn/etc.

Basically, I'm really into lazy, single-ingredient food for LO. We minimize dairy and avoid sugar as much as possible. In a similar vein, we are trying to eat healthy as a family, so we can usually give LO a component of whatever we are eating and then we fall back on veggies if our meal isn't appropriate. I'm a huge fan of squash right now because they are a cheap, healthy super food with tons of varieties in stores, and they are big--every 2-3 days we eat half a squash with dinner and then save the other half for LO to eat at other meals. 

• Am I the only one doing small pieces of meat already? He has eight teeth so if I give him strips of things he bites off enormous pieces haha he's been doing it fine for a month now so I guess it's ok? Haha 
  • We do raw veggies, we just do them in large pieces. Cucumber spears are her favorite! They feel good on her gums!
  • kaym6 said:
    Am I the only one doing small pieces of meat already? He has eight teeth so if I give him strips of things he bites off enormous pieces haha he's been doing it fine for a month now so I guess it's ok? Haha 
    Yeah we're doing tiny bits and/or shredded chicken, tiny chunks of meat balls or cooked ground turkey.  But we are still at zero teeth haha
  • We just give her whatever we're eating. I've used it as an opportunity for us to eat healthier and use less salt. I had a turkey sandwich for lunch so i gave her some turkey. Low sodium of course. I've even given her pieces of chicken curry, and i make mine spicy. Tomorrow is enchilada night so we will see how that goes.
  • We've given her raw broccoli and baby carrots and she just gnaws on them
  • kaym6 said:
    Am I the only one doing small pieces of meat already? He has eight teeth so if I give him strips of things he bites off enormous pieces haha he's been doing it fine for a month now so I guess it's ok? Haha 
    We've always done small pieces of meat. I thought thats what we were supposed to do!  I thought strips happened when she got a bit bigger.. but I agree she would take off huge chunks if I did it that way.. hmmm. 

I forgot we also gave her lasagna. Homemade. She lovedddd it
  • Lasagna is a huge it with us too!! Also zucchini and cheese casserole
  • What kind of yogurt does everyone feel their LOs? Normal? Greek? And do you feed plain or flavoured? I tried giving her plain and she was not a fan... not that I blame her
  • We use a full-fat organic plain yogurt. He does like it plain, but I also add mashed banana, diced peaches or pears, or smashed berries. Then he's really a fan!
  • My LO loves yogurt by Gerber! She loves the strawberry banana flavored. She also loves raviolis and  Shepard pie. 
  • We do the yobaby yogurt it comes in flavors which he likes and has less sugar than the other flavored ones I looked at. We tried plain Greek but he hates it and I can't say I blame him I don't like it either lol 
  • I like plain greek yogurt as a condiment. Like on curries or in place of sour cream. So does baby! I have a weird yogurt obsession. I like trying different yogurts. It can get pricey lol. I really like yogurt to be more tart and less sweet so that's what she's had
  • Zucchini noodles and turkey Bolognese!
  • I gave my LO roasted sweet potatoes with string beans tonight. She seem to really like it!  Is everyone's LO eating a lot? Or is it like a few bites and they're done? 
  • We do the whole milk baby organic yogurt that's flavored. It was too hard to find small cups of full fat whole milk plain so I gave up. 

As as for how much she eats it really depends. Sometimes I'm shocked at how much food she can eat other times I'm positive it's all ended up on her, the high chair and floor and none made it into her mouth. 
  • This is great for some new ideas! For breakfast we have done toast strips, pancakes, scrambled eggs, waffles, French toast, usually with a fruit. She's in the hate baby oatmeal category but I tried regular with her and she tolerated it. Lunch is tougher. She loves avacado so that's a regular, leftovers from supper, or toast with a fruit and/or veggie. Supper is usually what we are eating unless it's not baby friendly. Tonight we had homemade pizza so I gave her some and she gnawed on the crust and ate some of the toppings, along with some pear. 

@JanuarysBaby1 My little one only eats a few bites and she's done. She usually sits content in her high chair and plays until I'm finished eating. Especially if I give her a cup of water or a spoon. Slowly she is getting more but I keep telling myself she is getting what she needs from nursing. 

What do you do when they are getting bigger chunks off the spears of things? I gave banana the other day and she got too big of piece and ended up throwing up. 
  • Is everyone doing sippy cup with water? My LO doesn't seem interested yet. 
    I tried a few different kinds and she is actually mostly using a straw type sippy cup. Sometimes she will spit it all out and be soaked. Every so often I will give her a plastic no lid cup and help her drink that way. She probably doesn't drink more than a 1-2 ounces a day though. 
    My LO uses a sippy cup but its hit and miss. She will drink it when eating but thats really it. Also my LO eats a lot. Some meals no but then others I think she eats more then me. Sometimes i cant believe it and I assume its in her chair and when I go to pick her up theres barely anything there. Then other days its all in her chair. 
  • I'm kind of cracking up reading this feed. I'm thinking some of these not-quite-one-year-olds have more diverse diets than I do. By the time I get home at night, we've got an hour before bed, and I'd rather not spend that time cooking. That's why she gets a lot of piece-y fruit/veg. She really only gets breakfast if we go out and she mooches off our plates. Otherwise, since she's at daycare, she just has oatmeal. (I don't expect them to monitor her BLW and 7 other babies. That's not fair to them or safe for her.)
  • @stephanienjer my child definitely eats wayyy better then I do lol. I'm the kind who could eat breakfast and then be ok until dinner so making lunches is throwing me off. Even then I usually have cereal for breakfast lol. 
  • I also can't do "spears" of food. LO only has two teeth, but the few times I've tried to do "true" BLW, she's gotten off huge chunks of food, choked on them, and then threw up. I almost had a heart attack. I know that it takes time for them to figure it out, but my heart couldn't handle it! Luckily, her pincer grasp is impressive. so small, precut chunks of food work just fine for her. 

Breakfast: Usually some kind of fruit puree since she's at daycare. Fruit is the ONLY thing she'll eat in puree form.
    Lunch: LO loves meat, so I usually give her rotisserie chicken, or nitrate free lunch meat with peas, or carrots.
    Dinner: Some form of meat with a veggie or fruit. We've also done a quinoa/brown rice pasta and beans. 

We haven't gotten too adventurous yet, but I'm wanting to try yogurt and Kodiak pancakes with her this week. She also loves bread, and will happily gnaw on some while out to dinner. We also gave her a french fry while out to dinner last weekend, and she of COURSE loved it.