September 2016 Moms

Birth Control after baby

Just wondering what everyone else is doing for birth control after having a baby. I had a phone call with a midwife from my doctors office yesterday and I have to make a decision about what I plan to do by my 4 week post partum appointment. The hospital OB and my doctors office's midwife both suggested an IUD because I am breastfeeding. I guess I am leaning towards that, but I've never had one before. Anyone have any insight?

Re: Birth Control after baby

• Not sure yet. We will be discussing birth control when I go to my 4 week appointment. I used the pill in the past so I was hoping to do the same thing, though I know nothing of how that works with breastfeeding. We will see I guess. 
  • Curious as to those who've had experience with the para guard? Not sure of spelling, been looking at that but haven't heard much on it irl from others. 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sort of sad about it but will be having a tubal ligation some time in the future (waiting on consult).  Hubby is out of town for 3 weeks so no worries there!  when the stars align and there is somehow a way we're not exhausted and also home at the same time, we'll use condoms.  

I did have a mirena once and it was great until about six months before it was due to be changed out.  it moved in such a way that i had pelvic discomfort.  it bothered me enough after two months of that, I had it pulled early.  it was lovely not to think about birth control for so long!  

I hate hate hate BCP's.  I am bad about remembering them and even when I am a super compliant patient, they make me moody.  I know there is pretty much something for everyone out there.  Just thought I would chime in on my prior experiences.  I'm almost 40 so I've pretty much tried it all!  
  • I had the Mirena for 3 yrs after my first daughter and loved it. Took it out to have my son and then got another Mirena. I had that one close to 3yrs, and found out I was pregnant, with it still in. It's not common, but it does happen! We couldn't find it, so ob and midwife think it perforated my uterus and is in me somewhere. Fun. We were done with 2 kids, so we thought, so now with 3, my husband got a vasectomy while I was pregnant. Honestly I'd do the Mirena again because it was so great, but yeah... 
    I think the mini pill is the only pill you can take while breastfeeding? 
  • @hejo2016  i cant get over your mirena just floating away!  crazy.  hope it is easily located and not troublesome in any way
  • @hejo2016 how long after giving birth did you have the mirena placed? My doc said there is a higher chance of uterine perforation if placed in the months following birth.  My plan is to get another paragard but not until my first pp period, which took over a year last time. 
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• @jensou it was QUITE the shock when I figured out I was pregnant...
    @mamadomino I was almost 5mo postpartum when I got it. The first one I got at my 6wk pp appt.
  • 618mom22boys618mom22boys member
    edited October 2016
    I got my tubes tied during my C-section.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • I'm taking the mini pill while breastfeeding!
  • Waiting list at my hospital is 12 - 18 months for a tubal ligation!!! Crazy. 

Good news is i I have to wait 12 months anyway to get my abdominal muscles repaired (have had a rectus diastasis since 1999 with first kid) so I'll have both surgeries at once. 

Think il do an IUD for now.  12 months of condoms is a long time LOL 
  • I'm planning on going back on the pill.  My doctor had said it would a good option.  I have a history of depression, so I am reluctant to try IUDs and such because it is a more long term solution, and I'm concerned it could cause a relapse. 
  • My husband is getting the good old snip so we are DONE! ;-)
  • @hejo2016 You got pregnant on Mirena?!? I just had mine placed today and that freaks me out!!!! I would not be a happy camper...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • frogdog06frogdog06 member
    edited October 2016
    I am pretty good about taking my BCPs and am back on it with the mini pill, Nora-Be. I've been taking it for three weeks now (started 6 weeks PP) and haven't noticed any effect on my breastmilk supply. Also, no word on how effective it is...! Haha I'm too scared.
  • hejo2016hejo2016 member
    edited October 2016
    @noelani42 I did. It's very uncommon but happens! Like I said, I loved it up until that happened, ha! My husband has since gotten a vasectomy while I was pregnant.  He was NOT HAPPY when we figured out I was pregnant. I was not so thrilled either and bawled for weeks.  But time went on and we both got excited about this little one and now of course I can't imagine it any other way ❤️
  • So my midwife gave me a script for Micronor which is what I believe is what some of you have called the Mini pill. I haven't started it yet , I have some hesitation for some reason. BF moms who are taking this pill, any issues or concerns with it?
  • I recently started that same pill. My OB said it was the one she gave breastfeeding moms as it didn't seem to have an effect on supply at all. I have been on it for a week and have not noticed any changes. I was warned by the pharmacist that it has a very small window of effectiveness so taking it at the same time everyday is super important. I set an alarm on my phone as I'm usually distracted a lot these days!
  • @jenkar01 after my first baby I start to take the mini pill while breastfeeding. My doctor told me that it shouldn't affect my milk supply at all but within a week of taking it my milk supply almost completely diminished. I stopped taking it and it came back but definitely not as much as it was before.