Sick again! Third time in month and half — The Bump
January 2017 Moms

Sick again! Third time in month and half

I got sick right before my daughter went to daycare with a bad cold, got better and then my daughter picked up a cold from daycare, got sick again....and then better but she still has a cold. My parents came to visit and they just caught colds, assuming from my daughter and now I am sick again. I usually get one to maybe two colds a year if that. This is crazy! And I am supposed to get a flu shot at my next dr apt, which means I will probably get sick again. Is there any other way of building immunity besides the vitamins we are all taking? Any home remedies?

Re: Sick again! Third time in month and half

  • No tips for preventing getting sick... pregnancy is a big butthole to the immune system, but totally going to recommend raw garlic once you are sick. 

    I've gotten two colds this pregnancy and bronchitis and have found that adding a chopped up clove of raw garlic to some green tea (if you're letting yourself have a little bit of caffeine) with honey is really awesome at kicking illness's ass. Both the garlic and the honey have very strong antiviral effects. 

    Normally, when I get colds, they last over a week and if it turns into bronchitis, I'm suffering for 2-3 weeks... tea, garlic, and honey got me through a cold in about a day and bronchitis in about 3-4 days.

    Hope you feel better!
  • My immune system has been through the ringer over the past 2 years. The best advice I can give is to load up on vitamin C-rich and anti-inflammatory foods, including lemon/orange, leafy greens, ginger, and turmeric. Healthy fats are good too. I also think the state of my gut has a big impact on my immune system, so I take a probiotic daily, and am conscious of how much sugar I eat. Bone broths are also good for boosting immunity and promoting a healthy gut. And dairy can sometimes exacerbate congestion and cold symptoms, so that might be something to limit while you're feeling sick. 

    Finally, you should check with your doc, but I don't think you're supposed to get the flu shot while you're sick or your immune system is compromised. So it might be better to wait till your symptoms clear up before getting the shot. 

    Hope you feel better soon!
    ccarrozza1
  • Loading the player...
  • @krbell22 Is it cool to do the probiotic while pregnant?  I was taking one while I was breast feeding last year. I probably should eat less sugar right? Usually I don't eat much sugar but this pregnancy I seem to want it more. I ate tumeric coconut noodle soup today for lunch and chicken soup for dinner. 
    KRB22
  • @ccarrozza1 my doctor actually gave me samples of Align (a probiotic) to try and said they are pregnancy safe. Most supplements are but it's great to check with the OB anyways. 

    I also swear by essential oils. We have been diffusing On Guard (kills bacteria) and we haven't got sick the last two rounds of colds in our care home. 

    ccarrozza1
  • I feel ya! I got a cold almost 3 weeks ago, H got over it in 4 days, I feel better, but I still wake up with a stuffy nose that takes several hours for it to go away.
  • With my first, I was sick once the whole pregnancy. I've already been sick twice this time because toddlers are germy critters. 
    ccarrozza1
  • @ccarrozza1 yep, both my regular doctor and MW recommended I keep taking probiotics while pregnant. Think they are potentially helpful for building a healthy biome in the baby, and also for preventing GBS. It doesn't hurt to double check with your doc though. 

    That coconut soup sounds delicious! 
    ccarrozza1
  • KRB22 said:
    My immune system has been through the ringer over the past 2 years. The best advice I can give is to load up on vitamin C-rich and anti-inflammatory foods, including lemon/orange, leafy greens, ginger, and turmeric. Healthy fats are good too. I also think the state of my gut has a big impact on my immune system, so I take a probiotic daily, and am conscious of how much sugar I eat. Bone broths are also good for boosting immunity and promoting a healthy gut. And dairy can sometimes exacerbate congestion and cold symptoms, so that might be something to limit while you're feeling sick. 

    Finally, you should check with your doc, but I don't think you're supposed to get the flu shot while you're sick or your immune system is compromised. So it might be better to wait till your symptoms clear up before getting the shot. 

    Hope you feel better soon!


    I agree with @KRB22

    I drink a probiotic smoothy most mornings with orange juice and other fruits/seeds high in vitamin C and Omega-3.

    Also, Echinacea and garlic are really good at boosting your immune system, my midwife confirmed it's safe. I took a few every day the last time I got sick to help kick it, I got over it in a couple days. 

    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker



    Pregnancy Ticker
    KRB22ccarrozza1
  • @ccarrozza1  My wife takes Vitamin C (emergen - c) and drinks lots of fresh ginger tea it seems to help when she got a cold or of she feels one coming on.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    ccarrozza1
  • ThePax89 said:
    With my first, I was sick once the whole pregnancy. I've already been sick twice this time because toddlers are germy critters. 

    Yes! This is the issue. My daughter never got sick when we had the nanny but as soon as we switched to daycare...it's been one cold after another. She literally infected everyone in my house. Myself, my husband and my parents that were visiting this week. I am actually hoping whatever she has will pass but it's like a non stop runny nose and a slight cough. We brought her to the dr last week and they said she sounded ok that it could take awhile to clear. :(

  • HJMorgan said:
    KRB22 said:
    My immune system has been through the ringer over the past 2 years. The best advice I can give is to load up on vitamin C-rich and anti-inflammatory foods, including lemon/orange, leafy greens, ginger, and turmeric. Healthy fats are good too. I also think the state of my gut has a big impact on my immune system, so I take a probiotic daily, and am conscious of how much sugar I eat. Bone broths are also good for boosting immunity and promoting a healthy gut. And dairy can sometimes exacerbate congestion and cold symptoms, so that might be something to limit while you're feeling sick. 

    Finally, you should check with your doc, but I don't think you're supposed to get the flu shot while you're sick or your immune system is compromised. So it might be better to wait till your symptoms clear up before getting the shot. 

    Hope you feel better soon!


    I agree with @KRB22

    I drink a probiotic smoothy most mornings with orange juice and other fruits/seeds high in vitamin C and Omega-3.

    Also, Echinacea and garlic are really good at boosting your immune system, my midwife confirmed it's safe. I took a few every day the last time I got sick to help kick it, I got over it in a couple days. 

    A probiotic smoothie sounds awesome right now. 
  • @ccarrozza1 When did she start daycare?  The same thing happened with my daughter when we switched from a nanny to daycare at 15 months old.  After she got over the initial colds (which were like 3-5 weeks of nonstop runny nose and varying other symptoms starting and stopping), she's been ok ever since.  I hope we make it through winter without too much fuss this year. 

    BabyFetus Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ccarrozza1
  • @colleenkevin She started September 4th...we have been sick on and off since then. We are in the 3-5 weeks of runny nose stage. Will this stop? Feels like it's never ending! And so is my cold, it will stop for a week or so and then I am sick again!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards