January 2017 Moms

GD Check-In 10/10

Ok, I know there are a few more of us out there so I hope others check in. Posting a few questions if people want to answer them.

1. How have your numbers been?

2. How are you doing with the diagnosis?

3. Any snacks or foods you've found that don't spike your sugar that you really enjoy?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GD Check-In 10/10

• 1. How have your numbers been? I'm over 3 weeks with no high numbers. I'm trying something different for breakfast and my after breakfast number was very low (yippee) so I'm going to add in another carb to this breakfast meal. Overall my numbers have been running lower than they were a few weeks ago so that's good, just hoping there isn't a too low number :) I've been feeling good so I don't think I'm having any lows.

2. How are you doing with the diagnosis? Now that I've been at it for almost 6 weeks pretty good. I get tired of having to be aware of everything that I eat and still working on some protein only/free snacks for when I need something extra but all in all I'm doing good (now).

3. Any snacks or foods you've found that don't spike your sugar that you really enjoy? Really when I eat in the right portions there isn't much I can't have. I've had trail mix, caramel corn, apple donuts, cake, and ice cream. I just pay attention to the portions and fit it in to my meal plan. Cheese and Crackers has been a big addition to some meals to just give me a little more substance.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Morning! 
    1- numbers have been excellent. A little higher than the week before (stupid busy/ stressful week with a lot of take out and stress eating) but still in range
    2- still pissed lol and can't wait to throw this log in my OB's face tomorrow 
    3- learning the things that affect my numbers either way is pretty interesting- white rice? Holy cow. It makes me wonder how the Japanese metabolize it so well! Apple juice and apple cider are fine but orange juice makes my number high. I've also learned that 1/2 a giant donut is my limit and a whole one will keep my numbers trending up for most of the day  :p  ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Carly79Carly79 member
    edited October 2016

@TinaBelcher I love apples and have definitely found that they don't impact my numbers much so it's a go to for me. Bananas are my enemy when it comes to numbers.

ETA: I hope everything goes well tomorrow and your OB says you can stop checking or has some other answer for you.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Ugh, still have to check 4x a day, because "twins". I told him as long as my numbers stay ok I'm not counting my carbs and I'm eating what I want and he's fine with that, so that's something.

Question- do you ever squirt blood like a horror movie? I've done it 3 times! A nurse told me to never take the first drop of blood in case there's something on my skin so I squeeze a drop, wipe it off and squeeze again and 3 times now shoot blood like a foot away  :o so gross! And interesting that that's even possible from these tiny holes lol! 
  • Oh my, no, I haven't run in to that. Is your lancet on a 3 or less? Maybe you are going too deep? The nurse told me to just make sure I wash my hands before checking. Seemed really worried about potential food residue which makes sense so I just try to make sure I've washed my hands shortly before checking.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Carly79 it's set at 3 and usually it's the perfect depth, I guess I must just get a weird spot every once in a while? 

I got an error on my monitor a few times (invalid hematocrit) and called tech support- they've told me that IF I use alcohol swabs (which I do when I'm out and have to check) to let the alcohol dry well first or it could throw off the monitor (in case you run in to that?) also said I might be severely anemic which I guess I'll ask to have checked again at my next appointment just in case!
  • So I was just told I failed my 1 hour with a 142.  I took the test over a week ago, so I'm pretty annoyed no one called me sooner.  I am going in for my 3 hour test tomorrow.  The doctor seemed unconcerned because 142 is not that off that mark, but still, would have been nice to know this as soon as possible!
  • @LoneStart21416 Sorry to hear you didn't pass the 1 hour, I can't believe they waited so long to tell you. FX you'll pass the 3 hour, keep us posted.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks @carly79 I passed the fasting, and then had the drink. Hopefully the next 3 draws will go as well as the first. I actually thought this drink was not as gross as the first. So bizarre! For the one hour test, I had a clear drink and I don't even think it had a flavor. If it did, I couldn't pinpoint it.  And I thought it was pretty terrible. This one was orange and I thought not nearly as bad. Maybe because it actually had a flavor to it. 
  • At my lab the clear is lemon lime and I much prefer the orange to lemon lime. It reminds me of orange soda. They were out of orange for my 3 hour test so I had to have the lemon lime and it was terrible. Congrats on passing the fasting draw. I love that your lab keeps you posted on each draw. That's how mine did it. I failed my fasting, but then passed my 1hr draw. I was only like 5 points from where I needed to be on the 2hr draw so I thought I was doing great. Then my 2hr draw went way up (so weird). My third I passed but didn't matter :) Hoping all your other draws go as well and you can put this behind you!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I spoke with my doctor.  She said I passed.  I hadn't looked at the abnormal guidelines until after my visit though and now I'm wondering if I need to follow up.  I had a 76 fasting, 159 1 hour, 156 2 hour, and 125 3 hour.  Based on my googling, it appears that I was within the range on everything but the 2 hour -- which I would have been 1 point above the range (Google tells me greater than 155 is "abnormal").  My doctor didn't even mention this.  I'm a little frustrated.  I did read that 2 failures is a GD diagnosis and that 1 failure may just warrant dietary changes without strict monitoring, but my doctor didn't even mention this.  Not sure how to feel about this.
  • @LoneStar21416 Yippee! Touch base with your doctors but everything I've heard and read is that if you have 2 draws above the threshold you are diagnosed with GD. Miss 1 and you are fine. And really, in looking at your numbers they are going down each time. I'm not a doctor but don't think I'd stress much about that one number (especially since it's so close). And, it never hurts to watch how many meals you are having large amounts of carbs at.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks @carly79. I'm in agreement. I think I have just been so frazzled by this! I called her this morning and put in a message for her to call me back just so she can explain it to me and I'll have peace of mind. I am considering speaking to the nutritionist too. I think I generally do a good job, but maybe I could benefit from incorporating some of her expertise. Like you said, it definitely doesn't hurt to be more mindful and I just want to do everything I can to keep baby healthy. Thank you so much for your input. I have been reading your updates on other threads after I failed the one hour and I think you have great advice and a wonderful attitude. 
  • Thanks @LoneStar21416! I have unfortunately had 5 weeks to figure this out and come to terms with everything so I'm glad I can help.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I just wanted to jump in on @LoneStar21416's comment. @Carly79 You've been beyond helpful to anyone worried about their testing results! Thank you so much for your patience and great advice! I think I'm going to follow your advice on carbs regardless of my test outcome this weekend. I've been quickly gaining weight the last few weeks and I tend to feel really shaky and light headed if I don't eat every few hours. It would probably benefit me to keep better track of my carbs throughout the day even if I pass the three hour test. 
  • It's funny (sort of). A fitness/nutrition plan that I followed years ago that really stresses life changes over dieting is built around a nutrition plan of 6 small meals a day every 2-2.5 hours with a carb and protein at every meal. So similar to my meal plan for GD except I need a lot more carbs for my GD meal plan.

Since food is fuel, refueling our bodies every couple of hours with a balanced meal is really a good plan regardless of whether you have GD or not. I definitely was not following the old meal plan still when I got pregnant but it helped to jump back in when I needed to. My biggest struggle at some meals is having enough carbs. My meal plan calls for 45-60g carbs at lunch and dinner, that's actually a lot when you are eating healthier choices.

But, I do indulge here and there because I have a sweet tooth and definitely believe that depriving yourself of something is going to make you want it more. I just don't sit snack on candy without paying any attention anymore.

Thank you @christac1010 and @LoneStar21416 for your kind words. I'm glad I can take some of what I've learned and help someone else out.

Pregnancy Ticker