Babies on the Brain

Vasectomy Reversal ???

Anyone considering, booked, or SO have had a reversal done ? We are booked for a consult and hoping to find someone who has experienced or will be experiencing this in the future.  Looking for some support and positive vibes to get me through.

Me 27 <3 DF 44
TTC post VR Sept 21/16
SA 6 weeks post op 50.7 mil count 40% motility

Re: Vasectomy Reversal ???

• No experience with it but I will keep my fingers crossed for you and your SO and I am sending positive vibes to you via internet @FLAshley
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• My friend's DH had a reversal done a couple of years back and everything worked out perfectly. They had a healthy baby shortly after. Positive vibes!
  • Loading the player...
  • (Lurking from Sept 2015 birth board)  Sorry for lurking, but I just wanted to tell you our 4th and 5th were conceived after a vasectomy reversal.  Long story short, we had three kids very close in age and thought we were done but changed our minds.
    It's microsurgery and it's certainly not cheap, but for us it was definitely worth it.
    How long has it been since your partner's vasectomy?
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • My friends DH had his reversed last year after 3 years. She is 14 weeks pregnant!
  • My husband had his vasectomy reversed after 15 years! He had the surgery in November and conceived the following April, so it took 5 months. Our perfect little boy is now 6 months old. (That was much faster than we expected-- we had been told it would likely take a year after the procedure to conceive).

We opted to speak to several surgeons before selecting one. We also went to San Francisco (about an hour away) rather than using someone local to make sure we were getting the very best! It cost about $10,000 but we felt like it was money well spent. If it hadn't worked we would not have been second guessing our choice. The surgeon we chose actually charged more than our 2nd choice, so we asked him to match the other surgeon's cost and he did. When you're paying out of pocket there's some more negotiation possible. 

Best of luck to you!!!
  • mill1020 said:
    (Lurking from Sept 2015 birth board)  Sorry for lurking, but I just wanted to tell you our 4th and 5th were conceived after a vasectomy reversal.  Long story short, we had three kids very close in age and thought we were done but changed our minds.
    It's microsurgery and it's certainly not cheap, but for us it was definitely worth it.
    How long has it been since your partner's vasectomy?
    I didn't expect so many positive responses ! How wonderful !!

My SO had his vasectomy about 5 years ago with his ex wife. Our surgeon sounds optimistic about the surgery due to our previous history. My SO has had a testicle removed but he did conceive his youngest after the surgery.

We feel positive ! And excited !  

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• I know three couples who have had a vasectomy. All had children before getting the vasectomy. The first has never regretted it. The second successfully reversed it and had another child. The third (my in-laws) were unable to reverse it. They tried unsuccessfully to adopt a baby several times (issues with domestic adoption and the mom changing her mind) and ultimately adopted two older children from overseas. But I know the whole thing was extremely hard on my MIL. 

I hate to put a damper on it, and I truly wish you all the best and hope you are successful. However, there is always the chance it might not work. 
  • We are prepared for the worst as well as the best. We know it doesn't always work. We are doing a sperm aspiration at the time of the surgery. If we cant conceive after surgery we are going to try IVF. 

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• Appointment booked and paid for September 20th !!!

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• Good luck, @FLAshley .  Let us know how everything goes!
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Surgery has been done. Our Doctor was very pleased with how everything went. He said there was very little scar tissue as the vasectomy was not done that long ago. He sounds very positive. DH is feeling pretty good !! No pain, a little discomfort. 

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• @FLAshley I remember that when my husband had his reversal, he didn't want to "abstain" as long as the dr had wanted.  But I didn't want any chance of it not working, so I made him promise me he wouldn't do anything for a month!  I think our doctor was pretty conservative with wanting him to wait that long, though.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

• Our Doctor said 10 days before sex but about a month of no strenuous activity ! He will be calling today to follow up so I am going to drill him with the questions !!

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• @FLAshley So happy everything went well!! Hope DH is feeling better soon :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @secicc12 !
    He has felt no pain - a bit of discomfort and very minimal bruising/swelling ! 
    Feeling hopeful and appreciate everyone's kind words ! 

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• The Doctor called today and said he was very happy with how everything was reconnected. There was a lot of fluid with sperm present ! 

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• FLAshley said:
    The Doctor called today and said he was very happy with how everything was reconnected. There was a lot of fluid with sperm present ! 
    @FLAshley

Glad it turned out well for you and your DH
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• That's great news, @FLAshley !

I know I should just go look on the other threads, but please remind me, are you trying right away?
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

• We are ! Our Doctor actually told us at the consult some couples wait before TTC after the procedure which isn't a great idea as scar tissue will build up overtime and success rates can drop. He says "make hay while the sunshines" !

He advised to wait 10 days after surgery. When the 10 days are up I will be meeting up with AF so we will be TTC in October !!

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• @FLAshley that's so great! I think my husband would be REALLY jealous to hear the 10-day number-- we were told four or six weeks (I can't remember now, but I'm sure he would!). He did get permission from the doc to return to sex before that deadline, but only by a few days. 

That there were already sperm present is great!! Best of luck to you guys as you TTC. 
  • Yeah, we were told 10 days. I have been looking into it a lot and it seems there are all different time lines ranging from 10 days to 6 weeks. I'm not sure why such a difference. It's been over two weeks since surgery and we still have had sex. I ended up with AF and he is still pretty tender so we are waiting until everything feels good before we start TTC. @mamadcb has your DH had surgery recently ? How did it go ?

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• @FLAshley He had the surgery in Nov 2014 and we conceived in April 2015. Our perfect little dude is 8.5 months now. Good luck to you!
  • That's great ! So glad it worked out for you !

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16