1st Trimester

Doctor concerned about hcg levels.

I went to the ER today for ectopic pregnancy symptoms. The good news is that they didn't find anything whatsoever in the tubes, so it's definitely growing in the uterus.

However, the doctor said she was concerned about an impending miscarriage because my hcg levels were low. My levels were 1146 and I am 4 weeks 4 days. Isn't that completely normal? I'm going in in another two days to have it measured again, but I'm confused as to why 1146 is concerning.

Re: Doctor concerned about hcg levels.

• I went to the ER today for ectopic pregnancy symptoms. The good news is that they didn't find anything whatsoever in the tubes, so it's definitely growing in the uterus.

However, the doctor said she was concerned about an impending miscarriage because my hcg levels were low. My levels were 1146 and I am 4 weeks 4 days. Isn't that completely normal? I'm going in in another two days to have it measured again, but I'm confused as to why 1146 is concerning.

Seems like you and your doc are having a lot of miscommunication.   First you had a negative pregnancy test when they tested you and now she's saying you are going to have a MC? That HCG number is within normal range, so unless you are leaving out part of the story I would suggest maybe seeing a different doctor because I'm not sure why she would say that SOLEY based off of a HCG that is completely in the normal range. 
    Now, I know you said in another post that you have been experiencing bleeding... So, If she was warning you about the potential of having MC (because of the bleeding) then that makes a lot more sense.  
  • edited October 2016
    This was a different visit and a different doctor. 

I haven't been bleeding now at all for about 4 days, so I don't think she was considering that at all. She was only talking hcg.
  • Loading the player...
  • This was a different visit and a different doctor. 

I haven't been bleeding now at all for about 4 days, so I don't think she was considering that at all. She was only talking hcg.
    Hmmm yah I don't know why she would say that then because that number is totally within normal range.    Did you call your doctor after the visit to the ER? If so, what did he/she say?
  • Call your ob, tell them what happened and see if they want to see you early.  Good luck with your next draw. That initial number does fall in the range of normal. What were the ectopic symptoms you were having that took you to the ER?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Pro tip: just about any time you go to the ER related to pregnancy issues, such as spotting, the diagnosis will be Threatened Miscarriage.  The ER doctors are not trained OBGYNs, and pregnancy is not their specialty.  Call your OBGYN to get a real diagnosis.  I would guard against going to the ER at all unless you are in very serious pain or have a lot of red blood flow - not spotting, actual flow.  The ER is generally not helpful for pregnancy symptoms, unless you have an actual ectopic tube eruption and need surgery (and believe me, you will know if that is happening to you).  If you are miscarrying, there is nothing any doctor can do to stop it once it starts, so if you have the ability to wait until your OBGYN office is open in the morning, that is a better option.  Call your OBGYNs after hours line if something is going on.

The only time I would ever go to the ER for a pregnancy concern is if I called my OBGYNs after hours line and the nurse specifically told me go there.

• Your HCG is within normal range but doctors care more about the doubling rate. What was your level prior?
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • I finally got my results back from the second draw two days later, and it was 2490. So it did double.

I only went to the ER because I was worried about ectopic pregnancy. They didn't see anything abnormal on the ultrasound so it's likely just cramps. They're happening on mostly one side which is what made me concerned.

So I guess I'll just hang out until the 19th when my regular doc can see me. I've actually been thinking of switching to another doctor because this one just has too many patients. You're lucky if you can get in within a month of scheduling. 
  • Wonderful news,   I'm glad it showed that ur HCG did in fact double!