September 2015 Moms
Options

What would you do?

BabyBugutskyBabyBugutsky member
edited October 2016 in September 2015 Moms
So my day care options are few. I have called every day care and none will take kids unless they are 18 months old or if they do I need to pay double the price daily. Home day cares only want full time when I only need 4 days a week which is considered part time apparently.

Now I'm looking for a nanny or a babysitter as I have no family to watch my kiddo unfortunately. (unless I move)

What would you do? Does anyone have a nanny or a full time sitter? What should I look for when looking for either? Any advice would be great!

Edit to add I've been lpoking since LO was 6 months old and I've had no luck. 

Re: What would you do?

• Options
    We did in home first. I loved her and so did he. Then I found out she let her state license lapse and then took on like a total of 18 kids among other things. So I decided to send him to a center. And it's been amazing. The peace of mind for me is worth the added cost. And now I can claim it on my taxes which I couldn't with the in home as she didn't claim it herself. And use a dependent care account at work that lets me use pre taxed money for the childcare. And they provide diapers and wipes. My in home lady wouldn't use cloth so we had to buy diapers for her house. So I really only pay about $20 more a week than I did at my in home provider when I look at the tax savings, diapers, better hours, more reliable, etc. we use Rainbow Child Care in case there is one in your area. I love it. He is happy and learns so much every day. 
  • Options
    Could you stay home until they're 18 months?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Could you stay home until they're 18 months?
    I can work from home but I can't stay home every day. Right now DH is working on call but for the days he works we need something.
  • Options
    jht4jht4 member
    edited October 2016
    We had a nanny from 3-12 months and now my LO goes to school with his sibling. A good, reliable nanny is likely to be expensive so you may not save much compared to paying a double daily rate for a center. We paid 3X his current daily rate at school for our nanny. We've used care.com and sittercity and had good experiences with each. You can also check on a local moms Facebook group and ask around as to who other moms have used. Talk with your DH and have a good idea of the type of person and qualities you want. Give a really good description to your applicants as to what you are looking for and what your expectations are so they can also decide if they are a good fit and are going to like the job. The last thing you want is to hire someone only to have them quit two weeks in. We spend one to two days interviewing people with multiple applicants each day. Actually meeting with someone was very revealing and we could tell pretty quickly as to whether we were a good match or not. Let me know if you have other questions, good luck!

eta: Something else to think about is whether or not your nanny will need to drive LO. Ours drove our oldest to/from school and also did grocery shopping and ran errands. She took DS to weekly story time at the library and to the pool in the summer. We provided a car for our nanny to use. 
    BabyFruit Ticker