January 2017 Moms

Symptoms Thread (10/3-10/10)

Saw there was one for last week, but not this week, so figured I'd start it up a bit late!

Re: Symptoms Thread (10/3-10/10)

• Has anyone else been having rib pain yet? I thought it was just pain from my bra's underwire digging into my skin or something but I woke up at 3AM this morning experiencing the weirdest pain ever around my bottom left ribs. It basically feels like... having a sunburn except inside of my body or something.

Googling around, it sounds like it's from the baby putting pressure on nerves around the ribs and organs getting displaced :| I've been feeling his toes in my ribs for a while now, so not shocking, but when people said "oh you'll have pain in your ribs!" I assumed that they just meant "sometimes the baby will kick you in the ribs and it'll hurt!" not "your ribs will literally feel like they are burning." Ice pack to the area felt really, really good.
  • With my first two babies I had rib pain almost constant in the last few months. So far it hasn't started with this one, but I think she is sitting lower then the other 2 did. 

So far I've been feeling pretty good until I try to walk much. Then I feel all tight in my lower abdomen. Once I stop and take some deep breaths and drink water it goes away.
  • Loading the player...
  • With my first two babies I had rib pain almost constant in the last few months. So far it hasn't started with this one, but I think she is sitting lower then the other 2 did. 
    Aw man. I am not looking forward to this lasting the rest of pregnancy :(

So far I've been feeling pretty good until I try to walk much. Then I feel all tight in my lower abdomen. Once I stop and take some deep breaths and drink water it goes away.
    Sounds like Braxton Hicks! I get it too from walking, usually keeping a slower pace helps prevent it if you know you're going to be walking far. Also, not walking somewhere immediately after eating... apparently having a full bladder or stomach can make it worse.
  • Still puking and still having awful acid reflux and heartburn no matter what I do. 

Also having what I'm assuming at BH, my belly button area feels really tight and kind of sore and then it goes away. It comes and goes for an hour or so and then stops all together. 

With a little over 15 weeks to go, I'm more than ready to meet this little guy and bid pregnancy adieu!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • christac1010christac1010 member
    edited October 2016
    I feel big. I know I'm going to keep getting bigger though. Especially with my suddenly steady weight gain. I've pretty much given up on cute shoes at work and live in my Ugg moccasins. My ankles are starting to swell, but my feet just straight up hurt some days. I have no patience to be cute right now.

My ribs hurt but I assumed it was the pain of my comedically large boobs resting on them. The baby tends to hang out around my belly button in a ball. Sometimes I get a foot to the rib or bladder. The other night he was all up in my ribs. It hurt so much worse than I ever imagined. I immediately text my mom to tell her I love her. Also the rolling - holy nausea and discomfort. DH thinks it's so cool though.

Otherwise, leaky boobs and boob pain/soreness/tingling seem to be my most prominent symptoms right now. The Lansinoh therapy pads have been a life saver. 
  • Not really pregnancy related but allergies. Allergies. Allergies. Plus I do think pregnancy congestion makes it worse. I'm irritated that you can only take Claritin or Zyrtec once/24 hours because I can for sure tell when it wears off after about 10 hours. Does anyone have better experience with Claritin v. Zyrtec or other remedies? So much post- nasal drainage. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I feel big. I know I'm going to keep getting bigger though. Especially with my suddenly steady weight gain. I've pretty much given up on cute shoes at work and live in my Ugg moccasins. My ankles are starting to swell, but my feet just straight up hurt some days. I have no patience to be cute right now.

My ribs hurt but I assumed it was the pain of my comedically large boobs resting on them. The baby tends to hang out around my belly button in a ball. Sometimes I get a foot to the rib or bladder. The other night he was all up in my ribs. It hurt so much worse than I ever imagined. I immediately text my mom to tell her I love her. Also the rolling - holy nausea and discomfort. DH thinks it's so cool though.

Otherwise, leaky boobs and boob pain/soreness/tingling seem to be my most prominent symptoms right now. The Lansinoh therapy pads have been a life saver. 
    Oh dear Lord, yes! I'm so happy to feel him moving, but when I'm already not feeling the greatest, it almost always causes me to dry heave. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @KAShock Have you tried a Neti pot? Those generally give me some relief and are perfectly safe to use during pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I feel big. I know I'm going to keep getting bigger though. Especially with my suddenly steady weight gain. I've pretty much given up on cute shoes at work and live in my Ugg moccasins. My ankles are starting to swell, but my feet just straight up hurt some days. I have no patience to be cute right now.

@christac1010

This.
    I am starting to just feel so huge. Like my stomach is CONSTANTLY stretching. It doesn't quite itch yet, but it just feels like there a balloon slowly inflating inside my core area. Which I guess is literally what your uterus is doing.... But it's soooo uncomfortable! If I'm up cleaning for very long or working I just need to sit down , not necessarily from being tired, just my stomach feeling like it wants to jump out from my body.... My poor husband, I complain almost every night about it.... lol.
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Newer one- my left hip (just the left) hurts so badly that it wakes me up from my rare and too infrequent sleep. Just a deep ache, sort of "growing pain" type? I live on heating pads currently 
  • Not thrilled about having acid reflux already :( I feel like I didn't get it last time until I was like 36 weeks - I remember I felt HUGE and I definitely am not at that point yet! I read last time that the more reflux you have and the earlier you get it, the more likely that the baby has a full head of hair.  Totally an OWT, but DD had very little hair when she was born. Her hair growth, texture, and color has been pretty much identical to what mine was.  I would bet money that this baby has DH's thick, dark hair from day 1. Of course, I also said I'd bet money that we were having a boy and anatomy scan said girl, so...

Also, it's been really interesting to experience the difference in movement with an anterior placenta this time.  With DD, her movements usually felt like pokes or jabs.  With this new baby, I'm feeling more movement now, but instead of a poking sensation it almost feels like there's a water bed in my stomach that someone keeps rolling on.  It's super weird, but in a good way!
  • @karaelaine1991 I had acid reflux and heartburn from about 12 weeks on with DD, and she was born with a full head of hair. I've had it since 12 weeks with this little dude as well, and I'll pretty much guarantee another full head of hair on him. So the OWT was true for me :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • katesmama0706katesmama0706 member
    edited October 2016
    @karaelaine1991 @Emy730 when I was pregnant with DD I actually read a study that proved the OWT about heartburn and hairy babies had some truth to it! I'll try to find the link when I'm not mobile and post it!
    ETA link:
    I can't find a link to the full study but here's part of it. It was done at Johns Hopkins in 07, which surprised me cause I came upon it in 13. 
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2006.00128.x/abstract
  • @karaelaine1991 @Emy730 when I was pregnant with DD I actually read a study that proved the OWT about heartburn and hairy babies had some truth to it! I'll try to find the link when I'm not mobile and post it!
    ETA link:
    I can't find a link to the full study but here's part of it. It was done at Johns Hopkins in 07, which surprised me cause I came upon it in 13. 
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2006.00128.x/abstract
    My SIL is a physician and she's talked about this being one of the OWTs that tends to be on the more truthful end. She explained some reasoning with it, but honestly, it went over my head :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @emy730 something to do with relaxin and whatever it is that makes hair grow haha it went over my head too but it's always nice to know that sometimes the things little old ladies tell you is actually real.
  • @TinaBelcher my left hip hurts like hell when I wake up too, especially after a particularly deep sleep. I assume it's from holding all my weight when I'm on my side, and I've found it helps if I put a pillow under my hip/left thigh (in addition to the 6 other pillows propping everything else up). 

Otherwise, my middle back has been really sore, kind of right below my ribs. I'm not sure if it's nerve pain or just a function of my muscles being strained due to all the extra weight in my stomach and boobs. I don't have much upper body strength to begin with. 

And the reflux is back with a vengeance. I had pasta for dinner last night and felt so awful afterwards I was actually hoping I'd throw up. Nope, just lots of puky burps. 

Also, sorry if this is tmi, but does anyone else have watery discharge lately? I've had this on and off for the past few weeks, and according to dr. Google it sounds fairly normal for 2nd tri. But the crazy, paranoid voice in my head keeps wondering if it could be fluid leaking...
  • @krb22 I'm fairly sure it's normal too, but after running out of fluid last time and then asking me over and over if I had been leaking fluid and going "I don't think so but you keep asking like I should say yes" I figure when mine starts I'll be asking them to check it for fluid a bunch. It's just a dip strip essentially so if you're really worried it might be worth a check 
  • @krb22
    Yes. I've had a lot ofwatery discharge. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just peeing myself. ... lol
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @katesmama0706 thanks! That's kind of what I'm worried about. I mentioned it at my last appointment and my MW didn't seem concerned, but I am definitely going to bring it up again next time. 

@HJMorgan that possibility has crossed my mind too! 
  • In case anyone else was having aches and pains that tylenol hasn't been able to relieve:

Went to my regular chiropractor appointment this morning and mentioned the rib pain in passing. He was like, "Well, normally chiropractic adjustments only really make an impact on moving parts, so I don't really know that there's much I can do to help with that... where exactly does it hurt though?" So I show him and he pokes the spot, which of course hurts, and he remarks, "Yeah, that's cartilage. And it's inflamed. Almost certainly a side effect of pregnancy growth. Nothing I can do is going to make that better, sorry. You're just going to have to ride that one out and give birth and it'll go away naturally..." 

But. He did say that turmeric (in normal dietary quantities, not huge oral supplements, which apparently can be cause uterine contractions) and extra fish oil can serve as a good natural anti-inflammatory and relieve a lot of pregnancy aches and pains when tylenol isn't cutting it (also pointing out: "Also the fish oil doesn't hurt when you've got 2 brains inside of you and 1 is actively growing")
  • I've also heard that pineapple is a great anti-inflammatory. I put it in my green smoothies every day!
  • johnnydrojohnnydro member
    edited October 2016
    Hi All, Wifey is having some pain from her left hip like @krb22 and @Tinabelcher but hers moves  towards the front of her belly its not bad and comes and goes, she contributes it to gas lol, but she also spends all day on her feet at work, that could have something to do with it too.  She's taking more and more breaks at work and said that hot water with honey and cinnamon helps relieve the gas pressure.  has anyone else tried the hot water with honey and cinnamon trick?

14 weeks to go!
    John
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @canavara thank you for the reminder about fish oil! I have been taking a supplement since before I got pregnant but ran out about 2 weeks ago. I get it at my doctor's office and have been lazy about going over there. Also hadn't made the connection to my back pain, but am now going to make a point of going to pick up a jar today. 

I I am also going for my first chiropractor appointment on Monday. Really hoping that helps with the back and hip stuff. 
  • @KRB22 Ok I can't remember if you are the one I cautioned about this or not but if you've never been to a chiropractor make sure they are aware of it and be prepared for some soreness afterwards. We found that my chiropractor had to use the little activator device for the first few visits instead of doing manual adjustments. It was gentler while my body got used to being adjusted. With all the hormones and stuff going on with pregnancy (and relaxin) I don't think my body knew what to do after my first adjustment and I was miserably sore. Lots of water and a little Tylenol helped me too (and I hate taking any sort of meds while pregnant). Since I got through the first 3 adjustments I've been feeling great, very little pain, and sleeping much better.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @carly79 yes I think you mentioned this before but thank you for reminding me! The chiropractor I'm seeing is trained in Webster and specializes in treating pregnant women, but I will definitely be sure to let her know it's my first time ever. 
  • ^^ what @Carly79 said. I was definitely sore after my first two adjustments since being pregnant. Heating pad on the lowest setting can also help if you're sore afterwards. I went to my third today and haven't had any soreness this time, thankfully. Warning him in advance that I was pregnant was also useful because they're able to adjust the table you lay on for adjustments to accomodate your bump.
  • Yes, my chiropractor is trained in Webster technique too. I think that's what's really helped the RLP pains. She warned me I may be sore but neither of us expected it to be as bad as it was, and I have a pretty high pain tolerance. But it's worth it :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Does anyone else's belly button feel like it's going to rip open? Mine started feeling like that last night. It's so sore!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • @shlecka omg yes. I hate making any kind of sudden movements when laying down because it feels like something awful is about to happen. "about to rip open" is a really good description of the feeling!
  • Just going to whine for a second. Had a rough day here. Started having loads of BH yesterday afternoon, can't get them to stop for more than 30/45 minutes. OB's office told me as long as they aren't painful and I have no unusual discharge, to just take it easy and drink lots of water. So I've pretty much been crashed out on the couch most of the day, feeling anxious and frustrated. It is not time for this baby to get here, so if these BH could just chill out, that'd be great.