Pregnant after IF

Low but doubling HCG... spotting & cramping

Hi ladies, 

New to this board!
I just had my first ever bfp this week with my 6th IUI.  My betas have been super low but still doubling so I'm feeling cautious and in limbo, haven't been able to feel really happy or excited about this yet.  I've been checking wondfos and they do seem to be gradually getting darker.  My first beta was 14.5 on 16dpiui, then 28.7 on 18dpiui, then 58.8 today (20dpiui).  I'm resigned to the fact that it's probably a chemical but I'm still hoping for a miracle.  

I've been having mild weird cramping (sort of an uneasy feeling in my lower belly) the last several days but this morning woke up at 4am with more intense uncomfortable cramps, like I couldn't go back to sleep and had to pace around the house.   Then I had more red (tmi - kind of mucousy?) spotting mostly when I wiped.  If it was any other month, I'd say this is Aunt Flo starting.

Ugh.  Anybody have any similar experiences?  Any idea what my chances are of this actually working out?  Next step is an US on Monday to see if it's intrauterine and another beta.  

Re: Low but doubling HCG... spotting & cramping

• Hi @lady_grey!
    Congrats on the bfp. 
    The first few weeks are very insecure and nerve racking.
    I had a low HcG, but only got tested twice. Once after my positive and again at 6 weeks after bleeding.
    First one wasn't very high, the second one was normal.
    My bleeding was bright red and I did cramp, but not like I had to stop doing what I was doing.
    Its difficult to know what it means, try to find something to do to take your mind of it. Find something to relax.
    Ill keep my fingers crossed that it's just a slowly start, but that you have a little fighter in you.
    Good luck while you go through yet again a nerve racking weekend to know more on Monday.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Hey there! I'm so sorry you find yourself in this limbo when you want to be sooooo happy to get that BFP! I do want to say though that your numbers ARE doubling appropriately (and CP's usually do not) AND you fall within normal range according to this chart:

Fingers crossed that this is a viable, healthy pregnancy for you!!!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you @wifeinraleigh28!  All I can do is wait and hope at this point.  I hope you are feeling well, so happy that you got your bfp! 
  • @lady_grey

Your Beta levels are rising, which is typically not the case with a chemical. Do ask them to check your progesterone. With respect to the cramping, I had some very severe cramping (I could not even stand up straight TMI both pelvic and back cramping with pain radiating to my legs) the day before my Beta, the day after my Beta and it continued the following week as well. The intense cramping resulted in some severe nausea (its not like MS related because it was too soon, it was just from the cramping & resolved after). I did have very little red spotting as well. I spoke to my IVF nurse coordinator multiple times and she said, it was all very normal and expected in the first trimester. The only time they get concerned is if you are using up a pad per hour to two hours. They did ask me to take it easy though, so I had to stop working out for a week or so. They also asked me to get more sleep and make sure I drank electrolytes (I use Nuun) and drink 1 glass of water per waking hour. That helped with the cramping and the spotting stopping last week.

I wanted to share a few positive stories with you:
    My friend (who got naturally pregnant), had spotting until month 5 & that baby is now a 3 yr old toddler. She actually had what looked like full blown AF like flow with her second one & he is a healthy 5 month old now. 
    The other positive story is my cousin who actually had a couple -ve Betas after missing her period, then very low Betas with spotting and her son just turned 12 yrs old.

Hang on to the positive stories and congrats on your BFP. Take care, take it easy this weekend & stay hydrated with electrolytes. Hope you have a healthy pregnancy.

DH :  36, has Chronic Kidney Disease, on dialysis & is waiting on the transplant list (average wait for B+ is 5 years)

Me:   36, Hypothyroidism, PCOS, BMI 32, need to be done with "child bearing" ASAP so that I can be a Kidney donor (was fun realizing we didn't as much time as we thought :-/ )

We're TTC#1

IUI #1 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + Ovidrel Trigger + Had the one follicle = BFN  (March 2014)

IUI #2 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + 150 iu Bravelle on CD9 (after much begging!) + Had the one follicle = BFN (April 2014)

7th May 2014 - changed REs, this one seems to care (we think....)

IUI #3 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 3 follicles (2 under 15mm) = BFN(May 2014)

IUI #4 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 1 follicle + DH gave best sample so far = BFN(June 2014)

IVF#1 -  ER Only Cycle Sept-Oct 2014, 17  eggs Retrieved, 14 mature, 10 fertilized, 6 made it to Blast & post PGS  5 were not viable due to chromosomal abnormalities
    Not sure where we go from here...

We're parents to two very adorable, bratty, affectionate & goofy Bernese Mountain Dog pups who would very much like a 2 legged baby brother or sister of their own!

• Thanks so much for your message @ddvj79!  It means more than you know.  The cramps and spotting let up yesterday, and today I've had mostly nothing!  I've been so tired, took naps both days this weekend.  I am hoping that is because of a rising hcg level... we'll see!  All I can do is wait.  Best wishes to you with your pregnancy!!!
  • @lady_grey Congrats on the BFP! Fx that your betas keeping doubling!!!!!!!
    Me: 31 / DH: 32
    Married 10/14/2011
    TTC since 11/2011
    DX: unexplained infertility

1st IUI 12/23/15 Clomid + Ovidrel - Beta 1/8/16 BFN
    2nd IUI 1/22/16 Clomid + Ovidrel - Beta 2/8/16 BFN
    3rd IUI 2/27/16 Clomid + Ovidrel - Beta 3/15/16 BFN
    4th IUI 3/27/16 Clomid + Ovidrel - Beta 4/11/16 BFN
    5th IUI 4/26/16 Clomid + Ovidrel - Beta 5/11/16 BFN
    *****TRIGGER*****
    6th and final IUI 5/27/16 Clomid + Ovidrel - BFP!!!
    1st Beta on 6/8/16 @ 12piui: 22; 2nd Beta 6/10/16 84.4; 3rd Beta 6/13/16 300; 4th Beta 6/16/16 1168; 5th and final beta 6/20/16 4188
    1st U/S 6/23/16 - Two babies! One measuring 6w1d with a visible heartbeat!!! The other is measuring small and isn't likely to make it
    2nd U/S 7/5/16 - Baby #2 didn't make it :cry: Baby #1 is measuring right on schedule and has a FHR of 143!!
    3rd US 7/15/16 - Baby #1 right on schedule! FHR 168!!! Discharged from RE!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks so much @NurseTMD85, it's so nice to see you on this board.  I held on to your story of success with iui #6, it gave me hope!!

@LSatturo126
    So my US today didn't show a sac and the covering doctor seemed pessimistic like this is most likely a miscarriage.  I was on pins and needles all day till they just called with my beta: 252 (from 58.8 on fri), so that is actually encouraging!  And from my googling, it's not like they should expect to see a sac yet at that hcg level anyways.  So here I am, grasping so tightly at hope.  So I go back for US with my actual doctor and blood work on Thurs.  I'm excited to see her and see what she thinks.  So much waiting!
  • I keep thinking of you @lady_grey, if it helps on staying positive, my first ultrasound didn't show what it should but it was early, so got told it could go either way.
    Good luck on Thursday.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

• @lady_grey I'm a bit confused as to why they would do an ultrasound so early. Of course they didn't see anything! I could barely see anything on my first one and my beta was over 7,000! It seems likely that Thursday may be too early to see anything either, but hopefully you do!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• @AandDM2014 I know, right??  It seems like they are over doing it with data collection and giving me unnecessary stress!  I will have to sell my soul to get away from work for an hour.  But on the other hand I'm like maybe I just have to trust them.  Not sure!? 
  • Oh @lady_grey I really hope they are worrying you for no reason!! I hate that you're in a position like this. But do hold onto hope for that little bean of yours!!! The HCG level is a fantastic sign that he/she may be a fighter!

• @lady_grey  hang in there! If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process, it's that no 2 pregnancy's are the same! My betas also started low, but consistently doubled. RE was concerned it might be ectopic or chemical so he did an u/s when my hcg was only in the 500's. WE saw a gestational sac and yolk sac and I was measuring at 5 weeks as I should be. I'm now 10 weeks and everything is progressing normally so far. I don't want to give you false hope, but keep in mind that everyone is different! I'm hopeful that you'll have good news soon!!
    *TW* Pregnancy/Loss Mentioned
    Me: 37 /PCOS DH: 37/no issues TTC: 7/13
    Started with RE 12/14; 3 failed rounds of clomid, started letrozole
    IUI #1 & #2- BFN
    IVF #1 - 9/15 Cancelled Day 9
    IVF #2- started stims 10/24  ER- 11/15 6 eggs- 5 fertilized/ 1 frozen
    FET #1 -1 embryo-12/9/15- BFN
    IVF #3- started stims 1/22/16  ER- 2/8 33 eggs(!)- 21 mature, all 21 fertilized - 6 snowflakes!
    FET #2- 2 embryos- April 4th-BFN
    ERA-June 8- results show need 12 addt'l hours of PIO
    FET #3-  2 embryos transferred August 14,2016  BFP! on 8/24! Beta #1-22  Beta #2-83 Beta #3-368 
    Confirmed singleton-Heartbeat on 9/19-160bpm! EDD: May 1, 2017, It's a girl!!
    Pre-term labor/loss-stillborn at 18w. 
    FET #4- 1 embryo-Aug 12th-BFP on 8/23 Beta #1-112 Beta #2-298 Beta #3-1010
    Confirmed Identicals!- Heartbeats seen on 9/8  Miscarriage on 9/18
    FET #5- 1 embryo- 1/12/18-BFN
    Lots of testing and finally determined I have elevated natural killer cells. Will begin prednisone and IVL treatment before next round.
    IVF#4- April 2018 8 eggs, 7 fertilized/3 frozen
    FET #6- 1 embryo- 6/11/18- BFP on 6/21 Beta #1-446, Beta #2-1841 
    Confirmed singleton- 6/29/18 HB-157 EDD: February 22, 2019. It's a Boy!

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • @lady_grey Been following your story, hoping for good updates - great beta #!!! All that data collection is stressful, but I think it would be more so if they made to you wait FOREVER with no updates. There's always a silver lining! Hoping you get great news on Thursday. You have my T&P!
    *TW - Pregnancy mentioned*
    Me: 28 DH: 33, Married May 2014
    3 failed IUIs Dec '15 - Feb '16
    IVF April/May 2016 - 1 failed fresh transfer. 11 snow angels.
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
    Lawson arrived on 4/24/2017 at 7lbs 15oz, 21 1/2 inches long!
    Surprise pregnancy!! Baby #2 due 10/11/18 <3
  • @lady_grey I know what it's like for the numbers to be so low but as long as they keep doubling have that hope. Maybe the US today wasn't ready and Thursday you will see something. Try to be positive, I know so easier said than done but just think if there is a baby growing you must stay positive for him/her. Best of luck! 
     *****Trigger Warning, Loss and Pregnancy Mentioned*****

Married my best friend in 2013 (I was 33), After 1.5yrs of TTC got my first BFP naturally on 2/7/15 but ended in DNC on 4/14/15, not viable. In 2015 I was 35...Found out I had only one working ovary, which was DOR, with scar tissue and I ovulated at 7 days, with a small cervix opening and a tilted uterus... Needing an RE was a must.....IUI#1 Sept 2015,,, BFN IUI#2 Oct 2015,,,BFN IUI#3 Dec 2015,,BFN IVF#1 2/1/16- BFN IVF# on 3/29/16 retrieval only - 1 healthy chromosome tested embryo. IVF#3 retrieval 4/23/16- 0 healthy embryos. IVF#4 retrieval 6/17/16- 1 healthy embryo. FET#1-Transferred Both Healthy Embryos on 9/6/16 BFP!! 9/15/16 Beta 22.3, 9/17/16 Beta 60.5 & 9/19/16 Beta 195! 1st US on 9/23/16, only 1 Gast Sac & Yolk Sac found, US 9/30/16 US 6wk 1day saw and heard Heartbeat 120bpm!! EDD 5/25/2017 Had a healthy baby girl via CSection on 5/18/17 8lbs 15oz. Then four months later got pregnant naturally and had a healthy baby boy on 6/13/18 7lbs 6oz (at age 38). Needless to say, anything is possible! I'm keeping my signature open so it gives someone out there hope that anything is possible. Message me if you ever have any questions or just need someone to talk to. DON'T GIVE UP!

• lady_grey  

When I had the spotting, my RE had also mentioned that they would do an early US (my HcG was 436 at that point) if it didn't stop but they had also said that would not be able to see much except for when something is actually going wrong.

Sounds like in your case, nothing seemed actually wrong but they are just assuming it is ? You beta is doubling, so I don't understand why this person would think something is off. I am firmly holding on to hope for you that you are pregnant and you will eventually have a good US. Hang in there, there's a lot of us cheering for you!

DH :  36, has Chronic Kidney Disease, on dialysis & is waiting on the transplant list (average wait for B+ is 5 years)

Me:   36, Hypothyroidism, PCOS, BMI 32, need to be done with "child bearing" ASAP so that I can be a Kidney donor (was fun realizing we didn't as much time as we thought :-/ )

We're TTC#1

IUI #1 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + Ovidrel Trigger + Had the one follicle = BFN  (March 2014)

IUI #2 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + 150 iu Bravelle on CD9 (after much begging!) + Had the one follicle = BFN (April 2014)

IUI #3 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 3 follicles (2 under 15mm) = BFN(May 2014)

IUI #4 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 1 follicle + DH gave best sample so far = BFN(June 2014)

IVF#1 -  ER Only Cycle Sept-Oct 2014, 17  eggs Retrieved, 14 mature, 10 fertilized, 6 made it to Blast & post PGS  5 were not viable due to chromosomal abnormalities

We're parents to two very adorable, bratty, affectionate & goofy Bernese Mountain Dog pups who would very much like a 2 legged baby brother or sister of their own!

• @lady_grey u/s today?! GL!!
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
  • Thank you for all your support ...

*TW*loss 

We just had a very sad day.  Well the good thing is the uncertainty is over.  Ultrasound this morning didn't show a sac.  And I just got the phone call from my doc: Beta was only 281.  So it is reaching a plateau, which is consistent with most likely an early miscarriage but ectopic is still possible.  Now I have to wait for nature to take its course...or help it along if we have to (ugh I hope it doesn't come to that).  I started out the day in denial, then was angry, then got the beta result and have reached a point of acceptance.  I'm going through the stages of grief!  Ugh.  

Good luck to all of you lovely ladies and hope to join you back on this board one day soon.  <3
  • @lady_grey I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you are coming to terms even though I can't imagine how difficult it must be. My T&Ps are with you today. I have a feeling we will see you over here in near future! Hugs!
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
  • I'm sorry to hear about your loss @lady_grey.
    I can't imagine what you go through and I hope you have the support of your loved ones to get you through this.
    Wishing you good luck on this journey, and I hope we'll get to welcome you soon on this board.
    Stay strong xoxo

• I'm so sorry @lady_grey :cry: Sending you virtual hugs! I hope to see you back here really soon.

• lady_grey  , I am so sorry for your loss. :'(  You are in my thoughts, just sending you hugs and will hope to see you back here really soon. Please take care of yourself in the meanwhile. 

We're TTC#1

• @lady_grey sorry for your loss. Stay positive lady it will happen. You and DH should spend some time together alone and decide when you want to try again. Good luck and keep us posted 
  • So sorry @lady_grey. I wish the outcome had been different. Hugs to you.
    DX PCOS + mild male factor
    TTC since Dec. 2015
    Current Treatment: Metformin, Provera, Letrozole, Trigger, IUI
    Past Treatment: Clomid + Metformin x 3 BFN
    Letrozole 5 mg + Trigger shot + IUI = BFP!
    Beta confirmed 8/22
    EDD 5/1/17
  • I'm so sorry for your loss . I have been through a loss and know how painful it is . You will get through this . I remember feeling like I wouldn't get through the pain but you just gotta take it one day at a time . You are strong . Take extra good care of yourself . I hope to see you on over here again soon with good news . 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • @babylonghorn16, @tvh1982, @wifeinraleigh28, @ddvj79, @ultratomato@clt2pwm11@mskeenan.  

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I really appreciate it.

• @lady_grey I'm so sorry to read this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and DH. Take care of yourselves. I hope you come to peace with this soon and are happy in the next steps. FX we see you here soon!!
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012