February 2017 Moms

Controversial Topic Ahead : Wiener Talk

Hopefully we can keep this discussion respectful and open minded.  :# 

For those that have to or have already faced this decision, what made you decide to circumsise or abstain from circumcision? 

Do people feel that it's becoming more common not to circumsize? 

Is anyone else in disagreement with their husband over this? (I actually agree with him and all of his reasons for making his choice but am still held back due to culture and tradition.) 

Re: Controversial Topic Ahead : Wiener Talk

• We only stopped having this argument as soon as I found out we're having a girl. H is c'ed, and is sort of bitter about it. I had always thought that it's just what you do, but he always thought that if he had a son, he'd not force it on him, and let the kid decide for himself when he got older. I probably still would have pushed for it, but I'm sort of glad it's not really an issue (for now). 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • srscott3srscott3 member
    edited October 2016
    We are not circumcising. We are having a girl.

Joke's aside though, we would have if we were having a boy. H is a doctor and has seen quite a few infected uncircumcised penises and UTI's stemming from being uncircumcised. He also showed me quite a few medical studies on why you should circumcise. We (obviously) didn't look into it further when we found out we were having a girl, but we do know that we will circumcise any future boys..unless the medical evidence changes before then.
  • Loading the player...
  • We aren't finding out the sex. I don't want to circumcise and DH does...I think it should be the choice of the individual...I also don't intend to pierce ears if it is a girl. What if she doesn't like earrings? That's her body...not mine. 

**Triggers**

Me: 32  DH: 35  Married 10/4/14

TTC  #1 May 2015 BFP: July 21, 2015  Stillborn January 8, 2016

TTC #2 April 2016 BFP: June 17, 2016

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Girl Shih-Tzu and Baby Boy Boston are my furbabies

• H is for it, I'm ambivalent but would rather err on the side of letting the kid decide later in life. Became a non-issue this time around, at least. :)
  • I think this is something that is best discussed with your husband/wife/partner and your doctor. There are so many opinions and reasons but which are best are really going to depend on the person deciding. There are good reasons on both sides. I know people can talk about whatever they want but I don't think this sort of discussion helps very much.

I live in Ontario, Canada. It is not that I feel it is becoming less common, it actually is much less common. I don't think that really matters when making a decision.

I have two boys so I have made the decision already.
  • If we were having a boy, we would circumcise due to religious beliefs and science that backs it up.  However, I have talked to several men who are not circumcised, and they've said they've never had any problems keeping it clean.  So, if it wasn't for our religion, I would maybe let the boy decide. I'm not totally sure on that.  

• We did with both of our older DS. We are having a girl this time, but would do it again if we were having a boy. Mostly for the medical benefit like @srscott3 mentioned. Also, it's an easier recovery when they are little. I wouldn't want to put my 7 year old son through that if that was something he decided he wanted done! DH said no way would he want to got though it as an adult!
  • tishb said:
    We did with both of our older DS. We are having a girl this time, but would do it again if we were having a boy. Mostly for the medical benefit like @srscott3 mentioned. Also, it's an easier recovery when they are little. I wouldn't want to put my 7 year old son through that if that was something he decided he wanted done! DH said no way would he want to got though it as an adult!

This is us as well.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • DH is not circumcised. I don't want to circumcise our son, but DH is on the fence. I basically laid out the reasons why I don't want to circumcise, but told him since he's the one with a penis, I will ultimately let him decide. We'll see where it goes, but right now I think we're leaning more towards uncircumcised.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • blush64 said:
    I think this is something that is best discussed with your husband/wife/partner and your doctor. There are so many opinions and reasons but which are best are really going to depend on the person deciding. There are good reasons on both sides. I know people can talk about whatever they want but I don't think this sort of discussion helps very much.

I live in Ontario, Canada. It is not that I feel it is becoming less common, it actually is much less common. I don't think that really matters when making a decision.

@blush64 This is an ongoing discussion I'm having with my husband and so I'm simply looking for outside perspectives.

And I do think the prevalence is important, at least for me. Most of the people we discuss it with are extremely vocal and negative and that's a concern I have.  
  • This is such a tough topic. H and I don't entirely see eye to eye about it, but he's the tiebreaker as the only weiner-holder in our relationship. I've never seen an uncircumcised penis so I don't really know what it would be like. I'm relatively uncomfortable with having him go through a painful procedure so young, but H is very glad he was circumcised as a baby so I think we'll be following his lead and going ahead with it. 
  • @Xstatic3333 I've have been with both circumcised and uncircumcised penis, and I have to say, I love uncircumcised. I wish all men were uncircumcised.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

• homemake said:
    blush64 said:
    I think this is something that is best discussed with your husband/wife/partner and your doctor. There are so many opinions and reasons but which are best are really going to depend on the person deciding. There are good reasons on both sides. I know people can talk about whatever they want but I don't think this sort of discussion helps very much.

@blush64 This is an ongoing discussion I'm having with my husband and so I'm simply looking for outside perspectives.

And I do think the prevalence is important, at least for me. Most of the people we discuss it with are extremely vocal and negative and that's a concern I have.  
    Just out of curiosity, why is this a discussion you have with others aside from your spouse?  Not saying it's a bad thing but ultimately, it's not up to them.  

When it comes to issues like this, I think it's truly a personal discussion for the parents-to-be and doctor.  Besides, I can't imagine how invested other people can be about the state of your child's penis.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • @BumpasaurusRex We've been asked by many family members. I come from a Jewish family and so from their point of view there are not two options there's only one. 
  • homemake said:
    @BumpasaurusRex We've been asked by many family members. I come from a Jewish family and so from their point of view there are not two options there's only one. 
    I gotcha.  It's much harder when dealing with family.

I think I'd still be firm in not discussing it with them (not saying you should!)  Then again, I have family members who have difficulty with boundaries.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • The doc who did DS made it clear he didn't agree/approve and I did not appreciate that. We were strangers to him. 
  • With us, my DH is the one with a penis therefore he has the final say. He says he wants his kid circumcised so we will be doing it. It would be nice to let the son be old enough to decide on their own, but it is not as safe when you wait longer so it is up to us to decide. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
    edited October 2016
    @moonovergoldsboro That was one of the studies H showed me. Just note though it also states that "All policy statements from the American Academy of Pediatrics automatically expire 5 years after publication unless reaffirmed, revised, or retired at or before that time."...That will be next year, so be on the lookout for an update

edit to add that they could always reaffirm. Wasn't trying to make it sound like their position will change next year or anything. I just know 5 years is a decent amount of time in medical research world, and *possibly* something has changed
  • I'm having a girl, but DH and I had a talk about this before we knew, and I basically said, "You're the one with the penis and know what it's like, therefore you get to decide." DH is circumcised, but he said if we were having a boy he probably wouldn't get him snipped. It's just unnecessary unless you're doing it for religious reasons.
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • Funny you mention that, @srscott3, because I was really hoping for something more recent than 2012! Looks like that will be coming soon. :)

For what it's worth to all, the 2012 AAP statement is definitely more of an endorsement for circumcision than the previous one, and from what I can tell, American organizations overall (like the CDC) are becoming more pro-circ, though I haven't found any that actually recommend universal circumcision...just that the benefits outweigh the procedure's risks.

Spending a lot of time with wiener on the brain lately...(you know, like usual)
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Well, we will be getting our son circumcised. DH is circumcised and wants the baby to be as well, and I feel the same so it wasn't something we talked about too much. 
  • Out of curiosity I asked H, a non religious circed man, if we had been having a boy if he would want to and he said no. 
    He said that there's little to no medical benefit and uncut men have greater sexual pleasure. 
    So go H for thinking of our non existent future sons sex life  :D
    This is my husband too. A big part of him wanting to abstain is because of the increased sexual benefit for both the uncircumcised man and for the partner. 
  • My H is Jewish and even if he weren't, we're both pro circ. DS is circumcised and had this LO been another boy, he would have been as well.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • MrsDramaK said:
    So, we're having a girl, but we're Jewish so we'd definitely be doing the snippity snip.

However I once dated a guy who was uncircumcised and he said BJ's didn't really feel good (not that they felt bad, he just wasn't into them) cause he had the foreskin, so I'd definitely not want to subject my child to a lifetime of subpar blowjobs from his future significant other.  

I don't know if this is true across the board. DH is not circumcised and he loves BJ's...the foreskin has never been an issue.
    Maybe it's my technique.  Most of the guys I've blown are Jewish and they come circumcised standard ;) 
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We will be circumcising. But we're Jewish, so that's the only option for us. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

edited October 2016
    @blush64 I get what you're saying, but we're still going to circumcise if/when we have a boy. H did offer research as to the consequences of circumcision too. And I did my own research as well. To us, the benefits outweigh the risks. Even if the benefit isn't high enough to make it universally recommended, they are enough that I would be upset with myself if my son was one of the few to have those infections, STIs, cancer and I could have possibly reduced his risk. A circumcision is not an elimination, I know, so I'm probably overthinking it, but we're happy with our (very far in the future) decision.