February 2017 Moms

Anatomy Scan Thread

13»

Re: Anatomy Scan Thread

• paigeedpaigeed member
    edited October 2016
    @JulesFo you keep me updated too! At least I know someone else who's having the same issue. Fx our babes are just the special ones. :)

@ohstars I have an anterior placenta and placenta previa. The OB mentioned I would need a c-section of the previa doesn't correct itself. I didn't assume it would be a problem. Am I wrong though? 

I can feel kicks with this anterior placenta, but mostly only where the placenta is not located. So up high or on the sides of my belly. 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
    Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
    4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
    Cancelled-no response
    5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
    No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
    septate uterus.
    6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
    Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
    Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
    Chart Stalk Me

• @silvercamaro77 I also have previa (and anterior) and my Dr. didn't mention anything about pelvic rest. Is that pretty standard until it moves? Should I be taking it easier than I am? I know you're not a Dr haha but still.
  • Loading the player...
  • @silvercamaro77 I also have previa (and anterior) and my Dr. didn't mention anything about pelvic rest. Is that pretty standard until it moves? Should I be taking it easier than I am? I know you're not a Dr haha but still.
    I'm the same way and we are on a no sex regimen for now.
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• paigeed said:
    @silvercamaro77 I also have previa (and anterior) and my Dr. didn't mention anything about pelvic rest. Is that pretty standard until it moves? Should I be taking it easier than I am? I know you're not a Dr haha but still.
    I'm the same way and we are on a no sex regimen for now.

Jeeze, my doctor didn't mention any of that. I've been working out and we've had sex a few times since the A/S.... not comforting
  • I was on pelvic rest from 20w last time as soon as the previa was diagnosed. I would ask if I were you - just to be safe!
  • just got back from our A/S, add me to the previa club. everything else looks good. 

I had to press the doctor about what to do and not do to help the situation. Finally she said "normally we recommend nothing in the vagina."

I found it odd that she wasn't going to say anything at all until i pressed the issue. Maybe that means it's not that big of a deal, but I want to do everything in my power to help. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • @Jllellis603 The difference might be the severity of the previa. I had a complete previa so my placenta was completely covering my cervix. If you have a partial previa (i.e. the placenta is touching or partially covering the cervix) it might be different.

• @DontMakeMeAdult0903 Awww! I'm so happy for you!! I almost got teary eyed reading your post. (I don't cry easily. )

• AfKash said:
    @DontMakeMeAdult0903 Awww! I'm so happy for you!! I almost got teary eyed reading your post. (I don't cry easily. )
    Thank you. I'm over the moon excited. I was telling my paralegal how the appointment went and I broke down crying in my office. I'm definitely not getting anything done today. 

**Triggers**

Me: 32  DH: 35  Married 10/4/14

TTC  #1 May 2015 BFP: July 21, 2015  Stillborn January 8, 2016

TTC #2 April 2016 BFP: June 17, 2016

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Girl Shih-Tzu and Baby Boy Boston are my furbabies

• @dontmakemeadult0903 congratulations!! That's wonderful news :) I definitely did cry though. Because everything makes me cry these days
  • @DontMakeMeAdult0903 Congratulations on the positive scan!!!  <3
  • @Jllellis603 The difference might be the severity of the previa. I had a complete previa so my placenta was completely covering my cervix. If you have a partial previa (i.e. the placenta is touching or partially covering the cervix) it might be different.

Ohh gottcha. Yeah the doctor drew a wonderful sketch so I could see where it was in relation to the cervix and where he expected it to move haha. It was only partial from what he drew so maybe we are in the clear. Thanks!
  • @DontMakeMeAdult0903 YAAAAYY!!!! I'm so happy for you!
  • @DontMakeMeAdult903 Aww, I am getting all teary eyed all over your post! Congratulations!! I am so happy for you!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Such wonderful news @DontMakeMeAdult0903. I would have cried too. I imagine anyone would.
    J (Ma--I'm the one posting) & E (Mommy--I'm the one carrying)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Such wonderful news @DontMakeMeAdult0903. I would have cried too. I imagine anyone would.
    Just not a cold hearted bitch, like me.  

• @DontMakeMeAdult0903, that's awesome news!!!  
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • AfKash said:
    Such wonderful news @DontMakeMeAdult0903. I would have cried too. I imagine anyone would.
    Just not a cold hearted bitch, like me.  
    I'm sure that's not true! Emotions are messed up. 
    J (Ma--I'm the one posting) & E (Mommy--I'm the one carrying)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • That's a legit cool story, @Partyof6?!!

• @DontMakeMeAdult0903 that's wonderful news! Congrats on your blessing!!!
  • Hooray! Congrats on Team Blue @NiceyMeany!
  • @niceymeany congrats! Yay team blue! 
  • ms12345 said:
    A little late on the anatomy scan party... I pushed mine off to give Baby Boy some extra growth time (last time I was in there at 18 weeks exactly! This time was 21 weeks!) I wasn't as eager to get in there since we had the Panorama done and I already knew I was having a boy. :smile:

Everything looked great except for a minor (I hope) thing - turns out I may have a velamentous cord insertion. Anybody have that before and did it affect anything? MFM didn't seem overly concerned but of course I went to Dr. Google which has me scared. I go back for a fetal echo in a few weeks and they're going to take a closer look at the end of that appointment.

(I just saw a few of the ladies on here with SUA this time - I had that with my first pregnancy. I can't seem to get away from cord issues. From what I learned in my first pregnancy, SUA most often occurs by itself with nothing else wrong - but it can be the tip-off of physical birth defects. My daughter did have two related minor-ish birth defects but both are/were fixable albeit scary to send your baby into surgery. SUA plus the two birth defects put her on the radar for VACTERL association - she had three of the characteristics and it takes four for a VACTERL diagnosis. However, they have no effect on her cognitive development nor physical quality of life. That said, I was extremely excited to find out this baby has two cord arteries!)
    I have velamentous cord insertion as well and as a FTM I was a nervous wreck! My OB sent me to a MFM to get a second scan and he was not concerned either and I won't have to see him anymore. He said that cord insertion issues are an "incidental finding." Apparently (in my area) ultrasound techs did not check cord attachment/placement until relatively recently and many moms did not know they had a cord placement  issue until after birth. I was very lucky to have an experienced ultrasound tech that was trained to look at cord insertion, she even said herself that not all techs look at this during the a/s.

I will just be getting monthly growth scans at my regular OB to make sure baby girl is still on track. She is healthy otherwise.  

I asked the MFM a few questions and he was pretty reassuring. I asked about the chances of early labor and he said for my situation it was not very likely. During labor, baby will just have to be monitored to make sure she is not under stress. He also said *Possibly TMI* the doctor may have to reach separately for the placenta after birth and be careful not to pull too hard on the umbilical cord.  

I hope this helps!
  • I had my anatomy scan just yesterday, and so far so good. I got partial results today when I went to the clinic with some pelvic pain; apparently my little kiddo is kind of tall in there. The doctor said some things I didn't fully understand but mentioned it being at 90% already, so my ligaments in the pelvic area are being stretched a little sooner than they normally would be. Since I stand literally all the time at work she's put  me on 4 days off and as little time of my feet as possible. It sucks I'll lose out on a bit of cash, but the rest will be nice. I'll have a more complete idea of what's going on with the rest of the scan Tuesday when I see my midwife.

Also @DontMakeMeAdult0903 I'm late to comment but I wanted to say congratulations. It's awesome news and I really liked reading something so positive and uplifting today :)
  • I had a velamentous insertion with my first. No issues including with labor - I had him full term and a vaginal delivery.  I delivered at a teaching hospital and some residents came after delivery to take a look at my placenta . . . other than it being a "teaching moment" for them, it was of no consequence.
  • ms12345 said:
    A little late on the anatomy scan party... I pushed mine off to give Baby Boy some extra growth time (last time I was in there at 18 weeks exactly! This time was 21 weeks!) I wasn't as eager to get in there since we had the Panorama done and I already knew I was having a boy. :smile:

Everything looked great except for a minor (I hope) thing - turns out I may have a velamentous cord insertion. Anybody have that before and did it affect anything? MFM didn't seem overly concerned but of course I went to Dr. Google which has me scared. I go back for a fetal echo in a few weeks and they're going to take a closer look at the end of that appointment.

(I just saw a few of the ladies on here with SUA this time - I had that with my first pregnancy. I can't seem to get away from cord issues. From what I learned in my first pregnancy, SUA most often occurs by itself with nothing else wrong - but it can be the tip-off of physical birth defects. My daughter did have two related minor-ish birth defects but both are/were fixable albeit scary to send your baby into surgery. SUA plus the two birth defects put her on the radar for VACTERL association - she had three of the characteristics and it takes four for a VACTERL diagnosis. However, they have no effect on her cognitive development nor physical quality of life. That said, I was extremely excited to find out this baby has two cord arteries!)
    I just had my follow up AS with an MFM due to my SUA. My little boy doesn't show signs of any heart or kidney defects. Did your daughter show them before birth? Or did you find them after? 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• Glad to hear the reassurance on the velamentous cord!

@paigeed They had an idea about something being off in her heart prior to birth but couldn't pinpoint the exact issue on either the Level II or a fetal echo. Turned out to be a cleft mitral valve which was confirmed when she was born, the reason it took until birth is that the cleft is so small. They did not know her other issue (imperforate anus) until she was born, so that was a surprise. They CAN look for that on ultrasound at MFM, it's just not a routine one to watch for (they did look for this baby given the history, and yay he has an anus lol). That said, my feeling is this - if it's something severe, it should show up on ultrasound at MFM. Does it suck that she has/had those two issues and was it tough to hear? Absolutely. But they are not severe, life-altering, or life-threatening in any manner. I'm confident enough in my MFM to believe that any severe life-altering issues would show up on ultrasound prior to birth.
    STM due Feb. 2017!