January 2017 Moms

Advice on 1-Hour Diabetes Test?

Dear All, I'm 26 weeks and going in for the 1-hour diabetes test.  Does anyone have any advice for what worked for them?  During my last pregnancy (4 years ago), they gave me an orange drink that tasted awful, and I had to fast.  I failed the test, so I had to then do the 3-hour test.  This time, the drink looks clear, and the directions say I do NOT need to fast.  I friend of mine said to freeze the drink, then blend it into a slushee (to help it go down).  Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Re: Advice on 1-Hour Diabetes Test?

• They probably gave you the lemon-lime one. The slushy idea sounds pretty good, though I've never done it. Whenever I have to drink something that I think will taste bad, I let myself get thirsty and then down it really quick, before my brain has time to figure out the taste. Not sure it works with the crazy sweet Glucola stuff (I'm one of those weird people that doesn't think it tastes that bad), but you could give it a try. Good luck on your test!
  • With my first pregnancy I was also told to fast, failed then passed the 3 hour (clear lemon-lime drink for 1 hour, fruit punch for the 3. Lemon-lime wasn't awful, fruit punch was disgusting) This time I was told just not to eat anything sugary the day of my test so I ate an egg about an hour before I had to drink my drink (orange this time) They called to say I passed within a few hours of my test. I didn't pass simply because I had the protein in my system but I did notice I didn't crash as hard or feel as yucky after the test this time. 
    The thing with the test is, if you have GD you're gonna fail no matter what you do.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, what @katesmama0706 said. If you have GD, you'll fail no matter what you do. That being said, a lot of people fail the one hour and then go on to pass the three hour. I did the first time around.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What PPs said. Just wanted to add that the drink they gave me this time is clear instead of orange but still orange flavored. Also, if you make it into a slushie, will you be able to chug it in the five minute timeframe? Sounds like brain freeze waiting to happen! Pouring it over ice works fine.

If you're not sure about the fasting, definitely call and ask. I wouldn't risk having to retake it. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I second @LastMango. Can you drink it in 5 minutes if it's a slushie? I find just downing it helps and having it cold helps. Also, I've heard some people say a straw makes it better.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I was recently giving blood for my hypothyroid when a woman came in for the GD test and she brought her own straw.  I am planning on bringing a straw with me tomorrow when I do mine.  I also will be staying away from carbs and sugary food tomorrow before my test- Eggs for breakfast, left over chicken for lunch and maybe some peanuts to snack on... nothing that would increase my sugar levels prior to chugging the sugary drink.  Good luck!
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Question for PPs: What is the volume of the drink for the 1 hour test? 
  • I had a 1hr around 14 weeks and it was a small plastic cup - half of the bottle. My guess is about 6 oz?
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• @michellewfhs my 1 hour is 10 oz and 20 for the 3 hour. 
  • Yeah, if you have GD, you'll fail no matter what. If you're doing the non-fasting one, it is possible to have carbs you eat affect the outcome though. My OB recommended having a light breakfast before the test. Unfortunately, I took that to heart too much and went all-protein no-carb and puked everywhere shortly after drinking the drink, thus failing the test. I basically never want to eat eggs again after that experience, that's how gross it was.

I'd be curious to know if the ice is even allowed though with the dextrose drink they give. Before I threw up during my 1-hour, I asked if I could have some water and they said absolutely not, so it seems like ice would be the same deal.
  • ThePax89ThePax89 member
    edited October 2016
    I didn't have to fast with my first one. I don't have to fast with this one- but with this one, I have to drink it at the doctors office. I was told to avoid sugary foods prior to the test, even fruit. With my first one, I drank it at home, played music very loud, set a timer, and chugged it. I'm terrible at drinking things. I'll be in public this time, so no loud music. 
  • @ThePax89  I have to take mine at the testing lab supervised... seems like a lot of trouble to me and I feel like it will just cause anxiety but we shall see. I plan to do it Wednesday. 

• I was supervised when I had the orange drink. The straw is a great idea! I feel like it would have gone down easier.
  • I took mine today and used a straw to get it down quickly. Mine said do not freeze on it so I would double check it's ok to freeze it before you do so. Also I chewed sugar free mint gum a little afterwards to clear the taste and help the nausea afterwards.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • @aishmc and @sarahmsoda the word "supervise" is funny to me. Like you are going to sneak in contraband. 
  • My sister did an alternative test (due to life threatening allergies, and the possibility to react to the drink). She was able to eat 60 of her organic jelly beans in the time limit. It actually sounded worse than the drink. She said it was terrible. 
  • I haven't done the glucose yet, but I had to do the 3 hour one last year due to health issues. They gave me the lemon lime in a bottle from the fridge, no ice allowed. It was like a thick syrup. I had to fast and I know my body hates sugars on an empty stomach, so I ended up throwing up and nullifying the test within 15 minutes. It was the worst 15 minutes UGH. My MW said I can eat for this one, to have some eggs and avocado for breakfast and I know that's going to make a world of difference in my case. If you don't have to fast, it should be a better experience.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• ThePax89 said:
    My sister did an alternative test (due to life threatening allergies, and the possibility to react to the drink). She was able to eat 60 of her organic jelly beans in the time limit. It actually sounded worse than the drink. She said it was terrible. 
    This is what I was offered when I asked about an alternative. It sounds way worse than the nasty drink, so I'll just do the drink.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dear All, thanks for all of your feedback and advice.  Just to clarify, I was looking for advice on how to handle the test, as far as becoming sick with nausea and vomiting due to the sugary drink. With my last pregnancy, I had severe nausea and vomiting throughout the pregnancy, so doing both the 1-hour and 3-hour diabetes tests were bad, with the 3-test making me shaky, trembling, and lightheaded after 3 hours of the drink only (on an empty stomach); I did not end up having gestational diabetes.  And of course, I wasn't trying to "manipulate" the test into passing, as the point is to diagnose gestational diabetes (if you have it) and to treat it so you and the baby are ok; good luck to everyone! Please let us know how the test went!
  • @michellemikeliu I haven't done it yet, but was told not to fast for mine. I'm assuming the criteria for fasting/non fasting tests are different, and also that it would be much tougher to do on an empty stomach. So might be worth asking if you can do it without fasting. 

Also, I was given then option of drinking orange juice or apple juice (specific brands and amounts) in lieu of the glucose drink. I will probably do the apple juice just because I'd rather avoid the artificial flavors and colors in the glucola, and I'd need to drink a lot of OJ in the 5 minutes - I think like 18 oz. 
  • Carly79Carly79 member
    edited October 2016

The 1 hour test is more of a screening test to see if you may have GD. There are certain ranges that if you fall within you would move to the 3 hour test which actually diagnosis GD. There is a point for the 1 hour test that if you come in high enough, doctors will automatically diagnose you without the 3 hour. If you don't have GD, and don't want to get stuck sitting through the 3 hour test, it is definitely good to understand some of the tricks to help with that (protein and healthy fat breakfast, limited carbs 1-2 hours before the test, things like that). That way you get a good read on how your body reacts to the volume of sugar being ingested and not wondering if it's because of that bagel you ate 20 minutes before your appointment. The 3 hour test has 100g of sugar in it and the limits that are set for your blood draws are based on that. The number you need to be below after the first blood draw is definitely higher than where your numbers should normally be after an hour but that's because very few people ingest 100g of sugar in one sitting. It's 3 hours for a reason and after 3 hours your body should have efficiently processed that amount of sugar.

The tests are a pain but if you have GD, you have it and there is no manipulating the tests. However, if you don't have it there are ways to make sure the 1 hour is as accurate as possible to prevent the need to have the 3 hour test. The 3 hour test is definitely harder on the system, I know I was queasy after drinking that much sugar on an empty stomach and it made for a long 3 hours.

ETA: Even if you follow all the tips/tricks to pass the 1 hour test, you may still fail but that still doesn't mean you have GD. Be thankful there is a second test you have to take :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Chug it. The faster you drink it the sooner it'll be over. My ob gave it to me ice cold and that helped so much! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Chug it. The faster you drink it the sooner it'll be over. My ob gave it to me ice cold and that helped so much! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • I had no problems doing the 1 hour during my last pregnancy.  I had the orange flavored drink.  It wasn't something I would drink by choice but it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared it would be based on what people said.  They gave me 5 minutes to drink it but I just chugged it in a minute or so and was done. It doesn't have to be terrible.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you're worried about nausea, and it's non-fasting, definitely eat a light meal before. When I threw up at mine, the first thing the nurse said was, "I bet you didn't eat breakfast..." Just don't eat a super, super carb-y or sugary breakfast and it'll be fine. Also have heard that walking around outside during and getting some fresh air (if they let you) is helpful.
  • We no longer do the 1 hour or 3 hour test here.  It is one 2 hour test and if you pass, you don't have GD and if you fail, you do.  No second test needed.  
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• @ladysaceb Is the 2 hour test a fasting test? That's kind of nice to not have to wonder and get it all done in one test.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Carly79 Yes, you still have to fast and I am not allowed to leave the lab. It is done at the hospital and I have to stay there for the entire 2 hours but they have a private room with a tv and a comfy chair to sit in so as long as I manage not to throw up, it's not to terrible.  
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• I'm bringing Zofran with me, just in case :)
  • @ThePax89 good plan they offered me some too
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • ThePax89 said:
    I'm bringing Zofran with me, just in case :)
    Heck yes I took mine the mornings of both tests with my OB's blessing! Still felt like hell but just glad I didn't barf  :s
  • Not that anyone would be running or exercising within that hour after drinking the glucose drink, but if you do it can create a false negative. I was just talking to one of my girlfriends who's a doctor and I was telling her I'd have to run to my OB's office for my glucose test after dropping off my daughter at preschool bc the timing was tight and she told me to take it easy and not to run bc it can have an effect on the test. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @awknyc Yeah I've heard that too! Also, on the opposite end: falling asleep. Your body processes sugar less efficiently when you're asleep so you're more likely to fail.
  • Dear All, Just an update: I ate two pieces of turkey-sausage and a piece of toast the morning of my 1-hour diabetes test. About an hour later, I drank the clear drink, which tasted like a sweeter version of Sprite/7-Up (without the carbonation). Using a straw (and having the drink cold) helped, although it was hard to keep it down; it took me 10 minutes to finish the drink (with some breaks).  I got the results today, and I passed (so I am relieved).  Good luck to everyone else going through it in the next few weeks!  I hope some of these techniques help!
  • Anyone with a midwife doing this? My midwife hasn't mentioned it yet.
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HJMorgan yes I see a midwife and I'm doing this at my 28 week appointment. My MWs offer the option of drinking apple juice or OJ instead of the glucola drink, though. Also their test is non-fasting. 
  • @KRB22 That sounds far more pleasant... lol
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HJMorgan I hope so! Though the nurse warned me that the amount of OJ required is a LOT to down in 5 minutes... So I'll be going with the apple juice option.