January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 9/26

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 9/26

• DD has worn an amber necklace all the time since she was 4 months old. I know a lot of people don't believe in them, but she got all four one year molars at the same time and I didn't realize until I could see them. Teething has never been an issue for her at all.

I'd like to get another one for DS for when he's a few months old, but the place I bought hers closed recently. I can't remember the brand and want to get a good one. Any recommendations?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @emy730 How much have you looked into the amber necklaces? FTM here, so no judging at all, but I've heard way more bad about them than good. Like the chemical that the amber supposedly releases on contact, "succinic acid" is a) released in such small amounts (if any is released at all) that it could in no way do any good, and b) that it is actually a skin irritant. And in the two scientific articles published on them 1 concludes that the necklaces are a danger to babies, while the other urges pediatricians to advocate for children by educating the parents about the dangers of the necklaces. Abstracts linked below. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22925538
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27503268

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Loading the player...
  • @cjs260 That's crazy! I have never heard anything bad about those necklaces! I just assumed it was going to be a must-have, but now I feel like I need to read up a lot more. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • emy730 said:
    DD has worn an amber necklace all the time since she was 4 months old. I know a lot of people don't believe in them, but she got all four one year molars at the same time and I didn't realize until I could see them. Teething has never been an issue for her at all.

I'd like to get another one for DS for when he's a few months old, but the place I bought hers closed recently. I can't remember the brand and want to get a good one. Any recommendations?
    I got mine from Amazon but can't remember the brand. I just made sure it was real Baltic Amber I think?? I actually noticed a difference in my DD as well when she wore it. 

Although I will be checking out the articles that @cjs260 posted because #science

Pregnancy Ticker

• This is a local shop that has good quality amber necklaces. They have a shopping page but I don't know if they sell everything in their shop or just some of the items. May be worth checking out https://www.babytimeia.com/shop-baby-time/

I think what worries me most about the amber necklaces is the strangulation risk. There is a specific way they need to fit in order to help reduce the risk. I see a lot of pictures of babies with them and they are way too loose where they can get caught on something and end up strangling them pretty easy. On that note, a quick release gizmo on the closure is also a necessity in my opinion. I haven't looked in to the science behind them but do know there are people that swear by them. I also know that some babies don't have any problems with teething while others have a lot so in some cases question if it's the baby or the necklace doing the job. My DS does not have one (just to be clear since it may be tough to tell from my post).

If you opt for amber necklaces make sure they fit properly and are a quality product.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Re: amber necklaces- only thing our ped said when DD was wearing hers was to get one that had a "quick release" clasp so that if it gets pulled on it will unclasp and not strangle baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• cjs260 said:
    @emy730 How much have you looked into the amber necklaces? FTM here, so no judging at all, but I've heard way more bad about them than good. Like the chemical that the amber supposedly releases on contact, "succinic acid" is a) released in such small amounts (if any is released at all) that it could in no way do any good, and b) that it is actually a skin irritant. And in the two scientific articles published on them 1 concludes that the necklaces are a danger to babies, while the other urges pediatricians to advocate for children by educating the parents about the dangers of the necklaces. Abstracts linked below. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22925538
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27503268
    I'll look into those, but we've never had any problem in the 2+ years she's worn hers. Her skin has never been irritated or anything like that either. Hers has a quick release and if you pull at it, even a little, it comes off. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @emy730 I didn't use an amber necklace with my daughter and teething has been nearly the death of us all. Baby 2 will have one. Fuck teeth. 
  • It may just be correlation and not science but I swear our necklace helps.  I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to try and may be unscientific and hokey but it wouldn't hurt anything.  I haven't had any issues with the necklace (other than forgetting to take it off once in a while and having indention marks during naptime) and hadn't heard of any negative findings prior to this string.  Every baby store I've ever been to sells them - right next to all the organic crap so the word on the mommy streets is they are okay.  I did read to make sure you get a good quality, the lighter the better and the more raw (not shiny/glossy, the better.  My son likes having his own "pretties" just like his mama has her own pretties.
    BabyName Ticker
  • I didn't even ask specifically about one but mentioned teething to my pediatrician and he was like "omg death and disaster! Don't get an Amber necklace" so no go on those here. Popsicles have been a life saver for us
  • I'm getting Amber bracelets for these girls (in 2 different colors as a quick ID feature since so far they're the same size... I might have to write names on foreheads??) I think the necklaces are so cute but I feel like bracelets would be safer?
  • WholesomeWholesome member
    edited September 2016
    I just looked ours up, the ones we have (because I lost the first but then found it months later) is from a company called Inspired by Finn & we have "unpolished harvest" which is yellow and not shiny.  I accidentally washed and dried one and the beads shrunk a bit so I think it must be the real Baltic deal.  I don't have a release clasp but a screw clasp.  Each bead is knotted individually.  It's too short for him to try to swallow while wearing, too big for him to swallow while not wearing.  When he was tiny, I wrapped it around his ankle while he napped.

@cjs260, I read the articles you linked and it seemed they were saying basically 'not scientific' and 'choking hazard' - something I already considered but settled on my "If there's a chance it'll help, I'm doing it," stance.  All the necklace websites I've looked at are boasting about the succinc acid, claiming Baltic is best because it has the highest amount.  The Inspired by Finn website did say that there are people who have a negative skin reaction to amber but those cases are extremely rare.  Do you have any links about the acid being harmful?  I'm really interested in those.  I did a quick Wikipedia scan of the acid and found the the FDA actually approves its use as a food additive and dietary supplement.  That its also a precursor to some resins, polyesters and plastics.  Also, it said,"Succinic acid is an essential biosynthetic intermediate that occurs in all living creatures. Like most simple mono- and dicarboxylic acids, it is not dangerous but can be an irritant to skin and eyes."  Of course, that's the acid by itself and it is just Wikipedia and I know the internet is no substitution for real education.  Haha!

BabyName Ticker
  • @Wholesome I'm not really finding anything more about the succinic acid, other than chemical sheets for lab use, which pretty much say the same thing - skin and eye irritant, induce vomiting if ingested. Looking at the FDA regulations, it seems that very minimal amounts can be put into food, and it's probably similar amounts to what can be allowed to be produced by such necklaces. Of course, I doubt so little (if at all) is produced by these necklaces that it could cause harm. But to convince me that so little could both not cause harm AND provide analgesic relief would take more than anecdotal evidence. The point I was making earlier that may not have been clear was that if there was even enough to make a difference in pain relief (which there is absolutely no evidence for anyways), it would most likely cause a skin irritation. I definitely think it's something that everyone should research for themselves. As for me, whenever a group of doctors publish protocols for educating parents against the use of something with no scientific basis, it's enough for me to not want to put it on my kid. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• @TinaBelcher a friend had identical twin girls a few months ago and I believe she paints 1 of their toe nails to distinguish. They still look pretty identical to me. 
  • @cjs260 I agree about the likelihood of the placebo effect as far as the necklaces go.  To be honest, on the off chance that succinic acid is released, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of exposing my kids to an unregulated, unstudied chemical in unknown dosage over an extended period of time. I just personally prefer my medicines regulated by the FDA so I know what I'm getting and just how much. 

• We didn't use a teething necklace with DD and I don't really have anything against them, but I will say that she also got all 4 1 year molars at once and I also didn't notice any difference in her usually pleasant behavior at all. Lower lateral incisors were a different story - she was crabby for weeks because of those suckers! We basically just treated with motrin and popsicles and called it a day. That worked well enough for us.
  • We didn't use a teething necklace with my son and we had no issues with teething.  Some kids are easier teethers than others.  I considered the necklace when he was born but between the strangulation risk and the fact that something like 60% of  the necklaces sold as amber ended up being plastic turned me off of them.  Plus, just because something is being sold doesn't mean it is safe.  Look at crib bumpers.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know this gets asked like in every iteration of STM threads but I'm having trouble finding it in a recent one. For those who had a fair amount of breast growth during pregnancy, did you also have the same amount of growth when your milk came in or would you say it kind of balanced out with other women? Asking because I've gone from a B cup to a DD already and I'm starting to get a little freaked out that I'm ultimately going to end up with a G or H cup or something by the time this is all over (DD is seriously the largest I've ever been, so I know nothing of these larger cup sizes!)
  • @canavara While my boobs definitely got bigger when my milk first came in, it balanced a little after the first few days when things leveled out.  I have no experience with the larger sizes G or H but I would wait until milk is fully in before getting sized for a nursing bra.  I would also go to a specialty place to get properly sized when the time comes because proper fitting bras make a world of difference when it comes to comfort!
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Did anyone get a Poang from IKEA in lieu of a glider? My husband and I went to IKEA last night to get a crib and dresser and tested it out and I thought it was really comfortable. My only concern is that it bounces more than rocks, and wondering about the incline with breastfeeding. I was thinking with a boppy it would be fine but I've never done it before so I really have no idea. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @canavara, I am about the same size and experienced the same growth with my first pregnancy and yes they got bigger when my milk came in and stayed that way for at least the first 4-5 months of breast feeding.  I would hold off on getting bras until after baby is born and your milk comes in.  You will want to be comfortable.  I was a DD right before baby was born and went to an E after my milk came in.   It was all new territory for me as far a sizing goes, too, as I was a B before.  Thanks to pregnancy I truly know what I would look like with breast implants. lol

@PMForbie, My H is not always available right when I call depending on meetings or conference calls.  You should be fine even if it takes some time to get ahold of him.  My advice would be to call him when you first experience any timable contractions, even if you are not 100% sure they are true labor contractions, just to give him a heads up that you MIGHT be in labor.  I did this with my H for 2 labors now.  He didn't head home after my first calls, but knew what was going on and to keep his phone close.  I would check in with him after that and let him know if they were continuing or getting close together.  When I was more sure they were labor contractions and they did not go away after a couple hours then he would head home. 
    DS1: 9/29/12
    DS2: 11/5/14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • ThePax89ThePax89 member
    edited October 2016
    @Kurtni I don't think it would be ideal for nursing nor rocking a baby. 

@canavara my boobs didn't get gigantic once my milk came in, honestly not much bigger...just firm and heavy. I only wore nursing sports bras though, so sizing wasn't an issue because they are s/m/l. I'm going to warn you though, that my gals shrunk to way smaller than pre-pregnancy after nursing for over a year. 
  • Linea negra question: any other STMs notice a difference in lines between pregnancies. With my first, I had a line by 24 weeks. With this one, I'm 26 weeks...still nothing. 
  • @thepax89 that's pretty depressing about boob size. Mine haven't really grown much at all this pregnancy. All my bras still pretty much fit except for one or two where the style/cut just doesn't work anymore. If they eventually shrink, they'll be nothing there!
  • ThePax89 said:
    Linea negra question: any other STMs notice a difference in lines between pregnancies. With my first, I had a line by 24 weeks. With this one, I'm 26 weeks...still nothing. 
    Definite difference here.  I had a very pronounced one early on in my pregnancy with DS1.  It never fully went away though it was very faint.  I never really got one with DS2 at all and still nothing this time either.  I'm almost 27 weeks.   
  • I think boob size varies so greatly between women. I was a 34C when I got pregnant first time around and they bumped up to a D or more probably. I never got measured because I didn't want to know how big they got. But nothing fit/was comfy and I wore mostly stretchy/sports type bras. When my milk came they got bigger and harder initially but after a few months went back to the bigger size I was at pregnancy. After about 15 months of nursing they started to shrink and fit back in 34C. Now they are back to the bigger size. I just bought a few bras from asos in 36 dd. 
  • Boobs are so weird.

When I got pregnant with DD, they grew from a barely B to a full D within a few months. I didn't breastfeed, but when my milk came in, they grew pretty substantially, but went back to a D once I dried up.

Everyone told me they'd go away as I shed baby weight, but they didn't. I had lost 21 pounds right before finding out I was pregnant again, and they were still a solid D.

This time around, they haven't grown at all. I'm still in the same bras and they fit just fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay, this may be a dumb question... but how do you know when it's time to buy a new bra & not try to wait it out a little bit? I don't want to keep forking over loads of money only to wear something for a short time. When do you think the cheaper target bras are fine compared to the schmancy/more expensive ones? Recommendations on places to be fitted for maternity bras?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kelseyh62 I didn't take the plunge until the bra was actually painful. I went to the target clearance section and spent less than $7 because I didn't know how often id be buying new bras. 
  • Generally the bigger your bazoombas, the more expensive quality bras are.  Depends on your budget, I guess.  I'm in team 'wait until you can't hold out any longer' because I have to pinch my pennies.

If you are lucky enough to have normal sized boobs, you may have some luck buying nursing bras right now because they are supposed to be based off of your prepregnancy size.  If you have bigger boobs, you may want to hold off longer because the bigger sizes are basically sports bras with little to no support and structure and fit horribly because most drop the cup size and are just based off of your rib age size (in L, XL, XXL, XXXL) -- so if it fits your rib cage, the cup is too small and if the cup fits, the ribcage is too big.  I liked Goddess Keira but found the sizing to be way off -- either that or I've been wearing a drastically different size than I need to be (which is probably a little true).
    BabyName Ticker
  • Ugh. I'm stuck in a text box. 

@kelseyh62 I'm a FTM, but I bought new bras right after the first trimester. I had to buy new bras, because I couldn't breathe and I was having permanent nip slips. I went to Motherhood Maternity and picked out four nursing bras. The sales woman was adamant that I get one to two sizes bigger than I needed that day. She was also adamant I buy some bras without underwires. Now I understand why she insisted on both these points. I'm glad I listened to her. It was expensive (I think it was buy 3 get one free), but at least I earned Bump Bucks which I used to go back and buy my maternity underwear. 

• @kelseyh62 thanks for asking this, I've been wondering that too. Oddly enough my cup size hasn't changed, but my rib cage size has so I ended up getting a couple of nursing bras at Target because my old ones were cutting into me. They're not perfect, but they do the job. I think I'll wait until my milk comes in to get fitted for better quality bras. 
  • ThePax89 said:
    Linea negra question: any other STMs notice a difference in lines between pregnancies. With my first, I had a line by 24 weeks. With this one, I'm 26 weeks...still nothing. 
    Yes! I have no signs of one and last time in was so dark!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • I didn't buy nursing bras until the week before DD came. I didn't trust my boobs no to get bigger. I was a DD pretty pregnancy and a solid G when my milk came in. I didn't go all the way back either. I was an E when I got my BFP this time so I am terrified of finding my size this time around.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • ThePax89 said:

This is me exactly.  With my son I had one by 20 weeks or so, and it took forever to fade after delivery.  This time, nothing at all.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @canavara - we are in a very similar boat. 32DD pre-pregnancy and I'm starting to bust out of a 32F now. I'm honestly afraid of what they will do when they have milk in them. It's true that larger sizes are more expensive and harder to find (I usually just deal with a 34D Because it's easier to find than a 32DD but you can find a bra with a big band but cups that fit and get the band altered very cheaply (like $5). For example a 36DD has the same cup volume as a 32F so I bought an affordable 36DD which is easy to find and had the band taken in to fit me. 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• @kurtni We have a Poang and I had the same concerns... FTM here so no first-hand experience... but a friend of mine had her son in June and just bought a Poang after nursing on a birthing ball, and says she's in love with it. I think she uses a Boppy sometimes, but not always and both have worked out for her okay in the 3 weeks she's had the chair.
  • kelseyh62 I stubbornly didn't buy new bras until both of my nipples were out of the cup 100% of the time :) My band size hasn't changed this pregnancy yet, but the increase in cup size obviously had some bearing on how uncomfortable the band was getting since it would get shifted out of its proper position and start rubbing places it shouldn't so I ended up going from a 32B to a 32D in one shopping trip. After going through that, I pre-emptively decided over the weekend to just go ahead and buy a couple of bras the next size up, in DD, since I could already sense the same pattern happening with the nipping out...
  • @kurtni and @canavara we just bought a poang chair for DD1s room so we can move the glider sofa chair to the new baby's nursery. My opinion is that the poang wouldn't be comfortable for long nursing sessions. For me, it's fine for bedtime book reading and cuddles and songs but I needed a comfier chair for the first 21 months for sure. 
  • @ThePax89 omg yes! I just kept thinking, maybe it didn't get darker until later in the pregnancy, but I don't even see a hint of one this pregnancy. Last time I had one above and below my belly button and the line wasn't even straight! No complaints here :)
    Pregnancy Ticker