March 2017 Moms
Options

c sec or natural birth.. help please

Hello ladies.. I am new here. It's my second pregnancy n m due in march. I live in Decatur area. I need a advice from you ladies. 
My first was a em c sec. Coz the baby was big for my pelvis D. Well. Now the gyn m seeing do not want to go for vaginal birth. My dilemma is I so so really do not want a c sec. I want to try natural birth. Kind of have bad experience with my first c sec. 
Please let me know if anybody has same issues n what are you doing. I dont want to regret later that I did not try. And also I am new to Atlanta n do not know if there would be any doctors willing to do natural birth even if the first was c sec. If you know any doctors please let me know. 
Right now m seeing a doctor in Atlanta women s health centre. N she says no doctor here would be willing to take risk. Is that true? Please ladies. I would really love your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Re: c sec or natural birth.. help please

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How big was your baby?  True CPD (Cephalopelvic Disproportion) is rare. Most babies will fit through most pelvises.  But many OBs will blame failure to progress on CPD.

There are OBs who may be willing to allow a trial labor to a mom with a previous CS.  Have you tried to do a physician search for an OB who promotes VBAC?

https://americanpregnancy.org/labor-and-birth/cephalopelvic-disproportion/
    https://spinningbabies.com/learn-more/baby-positions/cpd-will-baby-fit/
  • Options
    my baby was 3.8 kg at birth n i was 40+3 days along. n i did have transverse incision. i have my maternity notes with me where the doctors specifically mentions if the baby is same or bigger size then consider c sec in future. 
    so is it not worth a try or should i just go along with my present doctor?
  • Options
    thank you. :) ICAN is really good and which i was not aware of. thank you so much. and yes i am from Atlanta,GA
  • Options
    A little over 8 pounds is not *that* big, but if you required an emergency c/s because the baby was truly too big, it might be a problem for you in the future. It wouldn't hurt to go to a VBAC friendly doctor and get a second opinion. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    There are also factors that can only be determined closer to the time that will affect your decision to vbac vs repeat c section. But I agree to try and find an OB that is vbac supportive. My OB for my second kid was super vbac friendly and at 24 weeks, they recommended I try for it. But when the time came, my son was almost 42 weeks and I had a closed, hard cervix so there was literally nothing to be done (they won't induce from a completely closed cervix due to an increased risk of rupture) so I had to have another c section. 
  • Options
    yes. that is where i am concerned. rather than deciding for a c sec now itself, would nt it be safe to go along with vbac. yes if there is no other go, definitely csec is the option. but i would like that to be a last option. Not first. :)
  • Options
    How long ago was your csection? Whay was their method for closure? Staples/glue or stitches? Of it is stitches was it 1 or 2?

I haven't been through a csection personally but my two very good friends both were trying for vbacs less than 2 months ago. I know the above information can impact a drs willingness to try for vbac.
  • Options
    it was in 2012. it was stitches. i think two. but later i had incision wound infection n was there in hospital for 10 more days.
  • Options
    My current doctor suggested that I consider a VBAC with this baby. There were a few factors that the doctor mentioned were important in gauging the likelihood of success. They were the structure of the pelvis (there apparently some kind of bony protrusions that some people have that make it more difficult), the type of incision, the type of stitches (internal - whether double or single layered), and the size of the baby. 

I probably won't be trying for one because DS was 10 lbs and this baby is already measuring large, but I'm keeping my options open. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would definitely look into a vbac friendly doc, but remember that a planned c-section is likely to be less traumatic than an emergency one! At least, that's what I'm hoping for. :)
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Options
    @z_1986 you had a double stitch csection 4 years ago I think it's wild your doc was so adamant and confident that no one would help you. Are there any local facebook groups you could join? Ask around. Make some phonecalls. As other mamas have said I have no doubt you will find a doctor that will lay out your realistic options. As @datalover13 said though my sil had a awful recovery from the emergency csection with her first. She wanted to do vbac but she had a single stitch emergency so the doctors gently recommended another csec she said the recovery was night and day.
  • Options
    @z_1986 I'm not sure what part of Atlanta you're in, but if you aren't TOO far from Marietta then I highly recommend OB-GYN Associates. Their office is in a building that is connected to Kennestone Hospital. I'm electing to have a second c-section, but would've been fully supported if I had chosen a VBAC.  The office has a mixture of MDs and CNMs, and I can't praise them enough! 

I love them, and the hospital, enough that I drive 45 miles to get there! 
  • Options
    Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited October 2016
    Personally, I still think it would be worth it to find a doctor that you know (by reputation or word of mouth) is VBAC supportive. A VBAC supportive doctor will still advise you to make the safest call depending on your individual situation, and that might mean a c-section in the end, but at least then you can feel confident in the fact that it was necessary and not just a matter of convenience for a doctor who is unsupportive. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker