Pregnant after IF

Looooong wait until 7 week ultrasound!

My clinic absolutely refuses to do the first ultrasound before 7 weeks (I'm scheduled for 10/18 which will be 7w3d). Did any of you other ladies have to wait that long? And if so, how did you cope? I had 2 betas earlier this week confirming that I'm pregnant and now nothing until 10/18, which is just cruel! :anguished:

I hope im still pregnant by then!
***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20

Re: Looooong wait until 7 week ultrasound!

• Sorry @wifeinraleigh28! I am guessing they want to wait to make sure the fetal pole and heartbeat and everything are there. I think I had mine around 6 weeks or so. Hang in there, I hope time flies for you!! All I can say is there is a lot of waiting during IF and now pregnancy. 

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• My first ultrasound was at 7+3. I feel like I never have those doctors that do what other's seem to do, like an early ultrasound etc. For me, I didn't actually mind the wait too much. It went by pretty quickly, I had had solid beta numbers and more than anything I was happy to know that whatever I saw at 7 weeks was a pretty accurate picture of what was going on. Measuring small or not seeing a heartbeat at a earlier ultrasound would have been way too ambiguous for me (I have a loss history) and more stress than I was up for. Also, by 7 weeks I was very sick and had a lot of strong symptoms, which also helped ease my mind going into ultrasound # 1.

Hang tight girl!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry your clinic is making you wait so long for your first ultrasound. That is just plain mean in my books. I hope that you are able to find a way to distract yourself, and feel welcome in joining us on the first tri board. I know we would love to have you, especially those of us who have been rooting for you for months! I'm so very happy that you've gotten a BFP! Anyway, I had my last us on 9/26 and don't have another one until 10/11, so I too am in the waiting game (especially since at my last one my MFM didn't give me any info about how the babies are doing, other than they were too small to do a proper NT scan). I know it isn't the same, but with a loss history waiting around for the next us is agony! I personally am reading lots, and I've enjoyed two movies this evening while DH is at work.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• It's a long wait indeed.
    Over here we don't get one before 7 weeks (and I had a winterbreak inbetween so had to wait til week 8!) as they want to be sure to have a proper view, and how harsh it sounds, they can't do anything if it's going wrong.
    Also they like to avoid not finding it. (I had lots of us after my first one as I was hospitalised most of my first trimester and some doctors even wondered if I was pregnant as they had trouble finding my baby, thank god I had seen it several times so made them look harder!)
    I ended up having bleeding at 5 weeks and got an early ultrasound done a little after. Just a sac no pole....I got told that it was still early and it still could go both ways. It wasn't the message I was hoping on..guess that's one of the reasons why clinics don't like early us too. 

Try not to think about it too much, find fun things to do so you have other things to look forward to. I did pee on a stick a lot while waiting, and as I couldn't get an us I went in at my regular doctors to get beta tested, just to hear I had good numbers.
    Trusr me, my us of week 8 is so much more impressive than the 5week ish one, as there's actually a baby on the 8 weeks :smile:

GL waiting, it is worth it! xoxo

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Ahhh thank you ladies for easing my mind! I've been thinking about getting a 3rd beta even though they told me it isn't needed, just to ease my mind. But then I think maybe I'll only do that if I start bleeding. So far I haven't had any, which I believe is a good sign. But it's still sooooo early.

Sounds like the best thing to do is just try to distract myself as much as possible. Fortunately my parents will be visiting the week before my ultrasound so that will provide a good distraction!

@AandDM2014 I might take you up on joining the first tri board! You're almost out of first tri right? I'm so happy that your final set of embryos are doing so well!!!

• ***Lurking*** Congrats @wifeinraleigh28 on your BFP!!! I remember you from the IF board and I'm so happy for you! All of the waiting in the first trimester is excruciating, but just think of all of the waiting you have already done, you got this!!
    Me 32 DH 34
    Married 9/2012 

TTC #2 starting 9/2019
    BFP 7/13/2020!
    Due 3/18/2021

TTC #1 since 2/2015
    Diagnosis: Unexplained Infertility 9/2015
    IUIs #1-#5: 9/2015-2/2016 all BFNs
    Moving to IVF with ICSI and PGS 5/2016-6/2016  Just kidding, BFP 4/4/2016!
    Spencer Elliott born 12/7/2016

• Congrats @wifeinraleigh28 ! I remember seeing you on the IF board . I'm so happy to see you got your BFP . I don't blame you for going crazy . I had my first US at five weeks and had like two at five weeks and then one every week after . I did have a huge horrific bleed that they were monitoring though . If I remember correctly my doc usually does US weekly even if there are no complications but I know every doc is diff . Even with all my USs I couldn't relax for the longest time . The reassurance was nice but I would get so nervous before them and then even after would get so nervous for the next . I had been through a loss as well so the fear was so hard to let go of . I know it's so much easier said than done but try to relax , not just for your but for your baby's sake . Keep busy so you don't go crazy - that helped me !! Praying you have a happy and healthy pregnancy . Congrats again 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • @wifeinraleigh28 I am so so happy for you! You have no idea. I was lurking on the IF boards even after I got my bfp and was following your journey. You are one tough cookie and thrilled you are now pregnant. Whoo hoo!! Just try to relax girl! You're growing a baby now. :-)))) 
  • Thank you so much @erica0901, @mskeenan, and @Drove2u!! I have missed you ladies!! It's been a long time coming that I've been hoping to join you over here! :)

I know this probably means squat, but I do have a good feeling about my pregnancy. I'll admit that at times I feel like I messed something up inside (like when I accidentally ran after my dog at 3dpt without even thinking, or yesterday when I accidentally lifted something especially heavy and then felt some pain/cramping after). Sometimes I "forget" that I'm pregnant and then the thought comes and hits me like a ton of bricks.

I'm sooooo jealous of those of you who get to do ultrasounds at 5 and 6 weeks! :grimace:

• @wifeinraleigh28 I am 12 weeks today, so I'll be on the first tri board for 2 more weekly checkins, but if you go by 12 weeks, then yes, I am almost second tri. And thank you! I had no hope for these three, as they are our worst looking three, but somehow they'll all managed to stick around.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• @AandDM2014 That really is amazing about your three, and goes to show that embryo quality doesn't always mean everything... What a blessing to have triplets! I hope you'll have some help after they are born!!

• @wifeinraleigh28 We're actually going to be selling our house and moving back to our hometown where our parents and siblings all live. I don't know if you've been following, but we've told everyone that just one took so we can surprise them in a few weeks with the news of triplets. Only 3 people IRL know that it's three (and our parents are not any of them) so it's going to be a huge shock when we reveal the truth!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• @wifeinraleigh28 i am so happy to see you here! Congratulations on your BFP. I had the third and the fourth beta , then a very early u/s. But honestly every time i had a test (bw or u/s) i was getting super stressed waiting for the results and i found them kinda pointless. Because they cannot do anything to fix it if there is something wrong. I know waiting is hard but try to relax and hope / believe for the best. Positive confirmations helped me at that stage. Best of luck with your 7w u/s and i m looking forward to hearing your good news!!
  • edited October 2016
    @AandDM2014 That's sooooo great that you will be near family! And wow, what a way to surprise them!! I can't wait to hear how everyone reacts! :)

@ZoeFer Thank you!! You were always so supportive of me back in the day when we were both TTC. I'm glad I'm finally here! It makes sense that all the betas and u/s's were so stressful. The days where I had to wait for my beta results were torturous. My heart was in my stomach the whole day and I was so stressed out! THAT alone makes me not want to do another beta! I just want to trust and believe that all is well, and hopefully we will see a nice strong heartbeat on 10/18. At least I won't have to wait for a phone call for that one, right?! How are you doing btw? How much longer do you have?

• @wifeinraleigh28 my u/s's were at 7, 8 and 9 weeks. I liked the fact that at 7 weeks there was no well if there isn't a heartbeat maybe it's too early, it was clearer we'll see a baby and a heartbeat. If we went in at 6 weeks and didn't see a heartbeat bc it was too early I would have freaked out for the next week. Good luck in the wait! 
  • Yes, waiting for those beta results was a torture. I hope you ll see the nice and strong heart beat in your ultrasound and have a healthy&happy 9 months ! Time flies so fast, i know how hard this is but try to enjoy being pregnant. I have only 6 weeks left and i cannot believe how fast it went by.
  • @ale9687 I'm glad my clinic isn't the only one to wait until 7 weeks! I mean I guess they might do one earlier if there was a problem but they flat out told me no when I requested.

Thanks y'all. I think I've made peace with the wait now at this point. 2 weeks from Tuesday... I can do this!

• I wanted to chime in with sympathy for the absolute torture it is to wait til 7 weeks. Like you, I had the two early betas and then nothing until the 7 week ultrasound. I also had practically no symptoms so it was very hard for me to believe it was actually real. 

I took a number of HPTs over the weeks because I had a million Wondfos left over. I knew objectively that they wouldn't give me any relevant info but somehow I found it comforting to see that line again and again--that at least achieving pregnancy hadn't been a dream! 
  • @cato99 Thank you, I'm so glad you can relate to this! I just woke up this morning and I am not feeling much in the way of symptoms. My boobs are a tiny bit sore but even just being on PIO can cause that! I thought about POAS but I'm worried I will just analyze the result all to hell: "is that line actually darker? Why isn't it SUPER dark now? Is my HCG going down?" But I probably will POAS anyway because I'm crazy! :cry:

• @wifeinraleigh28 congratulations on your BFP! I'm so so happy to see you here! Hang in there. Waiting is tough but just keep thinking that you're pregnant now. If I remember correctly, I had 3 betas and then an early ultrasound at around 5 weeks. It was just a sack and nothing else. Then I had the next one at 7 weeks and we were able to hear the heartbeat. Those 2 weeks in between were so hard though. Try to occupy yourself with something so the waiting doesn't get to you. Focus on the positive that you're now pregnant and the 18th will be here before you know it. It's just 2 more weeks :smile:
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• @wifeinraleigh28 - my office doesnt do the first ultrasound until around 7 weeks. I have my first one on Friday which I will be 6 weeks 5 days. This wait has been brutal but I am in the home stretch now. I think the hardest part for me is going from knowing everything that is going on to not. I have a lot going on at work, which has kept me busy the last two weeks since my second Beta. 

**Trigger warning**

Age: 25 DH: 28 Together since 2011, Married May 2014 and TTC since April 2015

MFI (3% morphology) 

3/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

4/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

6/16 IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/16 - BFP 1st Beta -110 
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762
    • TWINS!!!! EDD 5/28/2017

• edited October 2016
    Y'all are so wonderful and supportive and I'm glad we have this PAIF forum where we can help each other cope with things like this! I actually cracked and POAS yesterday afternoon because I wanted to see if the line had gotten darker since last Wednesday. It had, and in fact I don't even think the line can GET any darker. So I guess I feel relieved and like things are actually progressing in there. Hopefully I'll be okay now waiting until my ultrasound! :)

@kelrauh GL on Friday!! So exciting that it's finally almost here for you!

@Tulips29 Thanks, girl! I truly cannot believe how far along you are now! Time has flown by!!!

• @wifeinraleigh28 I am glad that the line in the pee stick got darker, but I think it is better you do not test any more. I remember reading people here or November board who were seeing their line was getting lighter even though they had higher betas and healthy pregnancies. So it could stress you out for no reason if you test and see a lighter line later.
    Also I did not have any symptoms for a long time except menstrual like cramps at 4-5 weeks. It is not a sign of anything bad. Best of luck !!!
  • @wifeinraleigh28 I can't believe it myself most days. It's still surreal to me. I'm glad you feel relieved from an hpt...this is really happening so believe it! :smile: Can't wait to read your updates! 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @ZoeFer I will take your advice and not pee on anymore sticks! You're right, they could easily just stress us out for no reason. I didn't POAS at ALL before my beta, so I know that if I can hold off during the TWW, I should be able to hold off during the ultrasound wait...

@Tulips29 Surreal is definitely the right word. I think during this whole IF journey we start to doubt that this could ever actually happen for us. My mom called me this morning and said she plans on throwing me a baby shower in May. Hearing her say that felt amazing but I also wanted to remind her how early this is to be making plans, haha.

• @wifeinraleigh28 I hear you there. Aw, your mom is so excited for this baby, no wonder she's already thinking about the baby shower. It might seem so far away but it'll be here before you know it! When we told our parents in June that we're pregnant all 4 of them right away started discussing who will take what week off in January and February to help me during my maternity leave. I had to stop them because I thought it was so weird discussing it 6 months out. Now January is so close that it seems like the time between June and now just flew past me. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @Tulips29 Haha! Funny how our parents get to feel nothing but excitement and here we are worrying about everything every step of the way! I need my mom's lack of worry to rub off on me!!! :)

• Definitely take @zoefer's advice on not POAS anymore. 
    Your HcG will be getting to high soon and the test can't handle it, which will freak you out.
    So safe the last test (open it and take out the bit you pee on...use YouTube if you don't know how) and keep it with you as a reminder that your HcG level is awesome @wifeinraleigh28

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers