December 2016 Moms
Options

Thrifty secrets

Having a baby can cost a bundle... or maybe not? Please share your thrifty secrets, how have you been saving money?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Thrifty secrets

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    - I shop craigslist and have gone to a couple big baby swap/consignment sales. Holy cheapness.
    - DIY baby food. Puree and freeze into cubes in silicon cube trays. DS still chows down on his purees as parts of his meals and it astounds me. They are literally a protein, beans, kale or spinach, flax and chia seeds, and pumpkin or sweet potato or carrot cooked and then blended together. They do not taste good. And yet... he gets SO EXCITED to eat them. I dunno? I'm going with it. If he's 18 and still eating them, so be it!
    - Hand-me-downs from friends/family
    - we use the library all the time
    - we don't have a ton of toys in the house. he just gets bored of them anyway. We go to the library and a free history museum with a toddler area at a nearby university. And nature centers - there are two free ones near us.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    I've gotten very little hand-me-downs since this is the first grand baby and we are the first of our in-town friends to have a baby. My STM friend from out of town did give me a bunch of onesies though, and that helped because we had like no clothes for Ash. 

Other than the fabulous Craigslist tip:
    -I use Cartwheel every time I go to Target--it adds up!
    -Coupons! I'm not an extreme couponer though.
    -Buy some wipes and diapers every time I go to the store (big savings with coupons + Cartwheel)
    -I've been stockpiling toiletries too, although that's not for everyone. Just one less thing for me to worry about. 

I'm also doing freezer meals. Budgets in general are really helpful for me.

• Options
    My secret is my neighborhood Buy Nothing page on Facebook. People are literally giving things away for free in the area that I live in. I scored some great maternity clothes, and baby clothes. Right now I'm on the hunt for a double stroller since I'll be nannying a baby the same age as mine starting in January.

I also got a really great jogging stroller at a baby thrift store near me. New it's about $300, but I got it gently used for $75. Though when DH used it he said the basket below kept slipping down. But I'm wondering if it was user error...

• Options
    Not specially baby related but I love my Receipt Hog app. You just snap pictures our your receipts and get coins that you can trade in for Amazon gift cards. Takes 6 months to a year for me to get about $30. But hey, free money is free money!
  • Options
    There's a baby consignment store in my town. They have good deals on baby clothes and gear in general, but I especially love their bargain bins. I've gotten probably 20 onsies from their bargain bins at $.50 to $1 a piece! 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    I'm a consignment shop junkie! We literally need nothing as this is baby number three but I have a serious problem and must always look! Currently I've been in the process of weeding all things my girls have grown out of and little things like baby toys. DD2 never played with them as eating ShopKins and Playdoh that dropning the floor have always been way more interesting. Craigslist for the large items have always been my go to. 

DH & I are both 28    Together: 12 years    Married: 09/24/2011

BFP#1: January '12 - DD1 09/16/2012

Preterm labor 31 weeks. Monitored for Hellp and diagnosed with oligohydramnios July '12

BFP #2: 06/25 - EDD 03/05/15 MMC confirmed 8/1 - D&E 8/4 retained tissue discovered 8/20

BFP #3 11/24 - 12/15 Heartbeat detected - DD2 07/29/15

• Options

I need to start stockpiling like some of you are, but I pretty much order everything on Amazon as we are 45 minutes from the nearest Walmart/Target.  I'm a little hesitant to buy a lot of diapers until I know what we get & also have no idea what will work best since I've heard so many differing opinions on brands. Does anyone here use Amazon to buy diapers? If so, have you had any issues with returning ones that didn't work/have too much of?

-One thing I've done other than tons of hand-me-downs is use Ebay for Maternity clothes.  I only buy clothes when there is a sale on regular websites like Motherhood or Pink Blush. Otherwise Ebay people sell their barely used stuff for super cheap (sometimes you can win a bid for a $2 shirt) + small shipping fee. I don't have the opportunity to use Craigslist since we're in such a remote location.

-I've been *trying* to get some freezer meals ready for baby time. This is difficult as I always get hungry and lose motivation when looking through our food posts :D

Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    oh yea - and cloth diapers. We've spent less than $200 on diapers over the 18 months of our son's life. We use disposables sometimes but got our cloth stash mostly from the baby shower and, what's more, they have resale value so we'll get probably 1/3 of that back once we're done using them with DD.

ETA - and breastfeeding. Formula is pricey.
    Oh and avoiding childcare til recently. Childcare is highway robbery.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Consignment sales, garage sales and craigslist.  I got a keyfit caddy for $5 a few months ago.  There is a big consignment sale coming up the first weekend of November near me - my plan is to get whatever we need that we don't get at our showers.  At this point, the only thing I won't buy used is the carseat.

I'll also be doing freezer meals.  We haven't started yet, but I'm hoping we can get 15-20 in our freezer.  We need to clean it out - we haven't done that in a very long time and I'm sure there is some scary stuff in there.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    Thrifting is my love language! 

Second hand shops! We frequent places like Savers, Goodwill, and Once Upon A Child. I hit them up often because inventory is constantly changing and you never know when you'll score something amazing! 95% of DD1 and 2.0's wardrobe is made up of second hand clothing and shoes. 

Cloth diapers AND cloth wipes - we were slacking recently and using disposables... I felt like we were just pissing away money with every pack of diapers I bought. We are back on the cloth train full force. The key is to invest in a decent sized stash of quality diapers... we've been using our stash for DD1 for 2+ years. We are going to invest in some more to accommodate 2 in diapers, but when all is said and done we will have gotten a solid 5+ years out of our cloth stash that we probably invested about $600 in total. 

Local swaps on Facebook are great resources for some of the big-ticket items like cribs, strollers, bouncers, etc. It's great because when they outgrow one thing, you can sell it to fund the next thing. I look at online BSTs as giant Pawn Shops... i can sell something now knowing that, if i should ever need it again, I'll be able to find another. 
  • Options
    aevan011aevan011 member
    edited September 2016
    - Have taken ladies' advice here and now have about 10 freezer meals, will continue to prep as we get closer. 
    - Every Sunday our 2 Goodwill stores have 1/2 price on all clothing - about 95% of the clothes we have for baby are from there. I go every Sunday, and most things I buy are either brand new or barely used. Also local consignment shops and yard sales are huge. Got my nursing pillow for $20 brand new instead of $35. 
    - Almost all of my maternity clothes were from a Facebook swap/sell group. I spent $25 and got about 35 pieces. I got lucky. 
    - The gym I just joined has a $10/mo plan for pregnant mamas for 1 year from confirmation of pregnancy. I had no clue until recently, but I can keep the membership til April. 
    - Filling out online surveys for gift cards. Takes forever but I've earned a few Amazon gift cards so far when I actually sit for a few hours. 
    - Sam's Club. It really depends on your household but I know we save enough to make the membership worthwhile by getting gas there, paper products, and a lot of our frozen foods. It's not always a huge savings but I definitely go to the store less. 
    ETA: - Also made a lot of the nursery decor bc I'm picky and cheap. Simple sewing projects and refinishing nightstands we already had and a cheap dresser. 
  • Options
    Kacie209Kacie209 member
    edited September 2016

After my showers, to see what we have gotten and decide if some things we didn't get are actually NEEDED... I plan to consign a lot or utilize local FB groups (and friends) for baby items. I have already joined a few FB groups and hope to be able to scour more, especially with my time off coming up so I'd have to time to pick things up almost immediately.

My mom and I are going to Once Upon A Child this Sunday to look at baby clothes, particularly cheap plain white onesies. She said she was there the other day just to check it out and almost new onesies were only $1. I plan on buying any clothes not found at consignment stores from the clearance rack. However, we'll be getting a TON of clothes from SIL, and one of my friends offered me anything she has - as they are done having kids (just had their 4th in April).

We also have a Sam's membership and my parents have a Costco membership, so I plan to do some price comparison on things like diapers when it gets closer.

Once daycare starts in February, that will be $11K a year right there... so any money that can be saved (and still have a social life to spend on a few fun items here and there will be needed! Momma needs a new house in the next year, too!

Oh, I hope to breastfeed which will save money. We have enough bottles already from my SIL (Dr. Brown) and a friend offered me her old ones (Tomme Tippee), so one less thing to buy when we need them.

Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• Options
    We aren't doing too much to be thrifty specifically except:

- Me working from home for my parents after baby is born and we move; I will be making money but not having to spend any on daycare.
    - My mom has a lot of work friends who are giving us stuff for free including a double electric Medela pump, a baby swing, an exersaucer, a second Rock N Play (we will use it at my parents' instead of lugging ours back and forth), and tons of clothes.
    - What we do buy, we buy new and on sale or at least VGUC things with resale value or that will hold up for baby #2. The ring slings and baby moccs I've bought have all been on sale or used with no signs of wear, and they are good enough quality that I will be able to resale them or they will last long enough for the next baby. Same thing with our baby equipment; as long it isn't recalled or doesn't pose a safety hazard, we will be able to reuse or resale most of it.
  • Options
    I've bought a few things through friends who were going to put items in a consignment sale like a second car seat base for Dh's car, and a pack and play. Our MamaRoo is brand new in box but bought half off at a consignment sale ( MIL bought it). A friend had an outgrown carseat she gave me to use as a trade in on our new one.

His furniture is mainly second had and refinished by me.

I've bought some diapers but will wait until after my baby showers to buy any more.

We went in with ILS and bought a pig from the county fair so we have a 1/4 of a pig in our freezer and will be able to use the meat from that for a while. 

I'll start doing freezer meals soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Swap.com for maternity clothes, everything I've gotten on there has been awesome and super cheap. The local goodwill has been useful even though they don't have much maternity stuff - I've gotten some great roomy overalls and sweaters.

Craigslist and local consignment sales. I've gotten a good amount of gear and clothing at sales. Hoping to get a lot of my cloth diaper stash off of Facebook groups or CL.

We will definitely make freezer meals, but we're also already obsessed with not wasting food, so we tend to keep our freezer full of useful stuff - not necessarily meals, but homemade broth, herbs, fruit. And we've canned a lot of tomato sauce and jam this year. 
  • Options
    I traded some of my cloth diapers (cheapies from a co-op buy) for a full trash bag worth of clothes for #2.  I tend to only spend 25-50 cents on baby clothes at our church thrift stores or yard sales.  I am reusing everything from #1, most of which was purchased secondhand to begin with.  I have an Old Navy credit card, so I have gotten most of my maternity clothing for free (last baby was born in June, so stuff is off-season).  I actually just got 3 new pair of pants today for $5ish after my points and coupon codes.
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Options
    I've been selling my old clothes/shoes that (1) I haven't worn in a while or (2) will likely never fit again to thredUp (online consignment) and using the money to buy maternity clothes. So far I've been able to get a bunch of things, including an interview outfit, for no cost AND cash out a little less than $100. It's small but makes me feel like I'm doing SOMEthing to save us some money.

For baby stuff, we haven't bought much at all - waiting to see what happens at the shower, and see what we need afterwards. I'll probably visit a few consignment stores. Also two of my friends who are already done having kids are generously allowing me to borrow (or keep) a swing, a baby bathtub, lots of swaddles and receiving blankets, and plain onesies. 

• Options
    I wish I knew my SIL's secret ways. She's some how managed to get us a pack n' play, 3 swings, 2 bouncers, a jumper, a floor play mat, 2 double strollers, a changing table, a nursing pillow, 2 high chairs, and some clothes ALL FOR FREE. I know some of it was from craigslist, and rooster...but I think some of it was also from mom friends she has. All I know is we're extremely grateful, because buying all that stuff for one baby would be hard enough...but for two!? Still trying to think of something very nice to do for her....

Literally all we've spent money on was decorating the nursery, and some clothing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

@ea301 I love Thred Up! I have bought some of my maternity clothes on there, as long as I know the size will fit (mainly pants). Such a great option, and will probably try to sell on there after I am done being PG (we may just have this. But, also plan on selling some shoes that hare in VGC or were rarely/never worn to some local FB groups while I'm on leave so I'll be able to meet up with people better.

I think once garage sale season really hits next spring, I'll go scour them see what deals on clothes I may find... if we need anything by then. I just can't justify spending lots of money on clothes for a child who will outgrow something so quickly. But, I still want them cute!

Forgot to add to mine above... I hope to do some freezer meals too. That sounds like a great thing to do the week of Thanksgiving start my leave.

Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• Options
    I have spent nothing. I packed everything away from my 1st pregnancy. My MIL is wonderful and insisted on a shower bc each baby deserves a party =) so I registered for diapers and a few odds and ends. Where I will end up spending is on formula and diapers later. I sign up for coupons via email, printable coupons, and wait until there is a sale to stock up on those things. Although we both work my MIL provides our childcare so no need to spend there.
  • Options
    @maamawaabangi I'd love a peak at your list, if you don't mind posting it later.
  • Options
    I do amazon subscribe and save- it takes a little to get the "knack" of it, but then it works really well for things you can't just go buy at target (or wherever!). It saves you 20% on diapers ( we have to use "natural" brands because DD had super sensitive skin). I also get a lot of my vitamins, baby food, protein shakes, etc through it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This baby girl will be wearing a lot of her brothers baby blue clothes. ;) 

With DS, I did a couple things to save money and be thrifty:
    -Waited until after all my showers to buy ANYTHING, I actually didn't have to buy much after
    -Signed up for AmazonMom and order all diapers and wipes from there (probably saved close to 25%). Used Luvs
    -Shopped at resale shops and on FB for clothes. Besides gifts, DS hardly had anything new
    -BREASTFEED- formula is so expensive. We also choke my son didn't cost us anything for six months. 
  • Options
    @Mamax2

Here's my toddler (2yos list)

Daily Outfits

Going Out Outfits

Church Clothes

Hat

Outer Wear

Winter Coat

PJs

Booties/Shoes

Socks

Tights

Xmas Dress

Dress Sweater

Swim

Goodness, that didn't copy and paste well... but I'm not going to retype it.

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Options
    maamawaabangimaamawaabangi member
    edited September 2016
    This is what I have planned for the new baby... it's pretty similar to my toddler. I don't do PJs for daily clothes like some mama's do. I just like to use the cute clothes we have and changing out of PJs helps us all "get going" and start our day off in a not sluggish way... baby included (more for my mental perspective). But, one could cut out a bunch of outfits if they used one-peice or PJs as an outfit. More than this and we drown in laundry, less and we don't have what we need when things are soiled. This is my perfect balance. Also, I usually put an "outfit" together as a set top and bottom (folded together and put in drawers), if it's not a one-piece or dress or something that is easy to identify as an "outfit". We do this with everyone's clothes who is under the age of 7... to avoid confusion in dressing. Above 7 usually can figure out how to match tops and bottoms and when one need to be washed.

Daily Outfits

10-12

Going Out Outfits

Church Clothes

Onesies

Hat

Outer Wear

PJs

8-10

Booties/Shoes

2-4

Socks

Tights

Xmas Outfit

Adding... this is with each of us having 1 laundry day/load a week. If you have less children in theory each person could have their clothes washed more than once a week... also minimizing what you'd have to buy.  But, for us... this means that the washing machine is run at LEAST once a day... if not twice. 

And... our bigger kids have less clothes... basically 7-8 daily outfits, 2 "going out" outfits, 2 dress outfits, 3-4 pjs and the rest being sort of self explanatory (like 1 jacket, or 10 undies). I've also gone to having a "clothing pod" for seasons for myself, and really love it! Less is more. 

Due December 27th with baby #7