October 2016 Moms

Moms of Early (September) Babes, Enter Here!

Re: Moms of Early (September) Babes, Enter Here!

• That's exactly what our NICU nurses have said too. Our babies are in good hands there in the hospital, so we can use this to our advantage and get the rest and healing we need now before they come home. Lots of naps and down time while we can get it, because when we take our little ones home we won't want to let them go! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Also- yes to getting suuuuuuuper cold after the spinal for a c section. They brought out a heated blanket to put over my arms during the section, and then I was shaking with cold when I got back to my room for a good while afterwards. Not that big of a deal, really, but I was literally shaking so badly that it was scaring my mom that something was wrong. Nothing wrong, just coming off that sweet sweet high, mom! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • BTDT moms: Are your PP contractions like, 1000x worse than they were with your 1st or 2nd babies?
    Yes!! So terrible!  Worst part of my recovery!
  • Ok serious question.  WTF is up with the wide range of time that breast milk is good for?  How are we supposed to know whether it's 4 or 6 hours at room temp?  Or 3 to 8 days in the fridge...quite a big range.  I know this could fit in the super long breast feeding thread, but I wanted to ask you guys.  I've left out a bottle for DH twice so far, and I'm going with the 6 hours so far...

• @Kaytee1087 that's exactly what's getting me through too.  I tell them to call me (I haven't been discharged yet) when he's ready to feed, but I'm letting them take care of the little stuff so I can rest and heal.  I do stay moving cause it seems to hurt less when I'm up and about but I know they are trained professionals that's have the best machines so both of us can get better to come home healthy.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @gatorMom2014 A friend of mine that breastfed for 15 months said smell it. If it's bad you will know. Or if in doubt taste it. She said it takes a long time to go bad. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Ok serious question.  WTF is up with the wide range of time that breast milk is good for?  How are we supposed to know whether it's 4 or 6 hours at room temp?  Or 3 to 8 days in the fridge...quite a big range.  I know this could fit in the super long breast feeding thread, but I wanted to ask you guys.  I've left out a bottle for DH twice so far, and I'm going with the 6 hours so far...

I've been leaving it out between 5-6 hours as well. 
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• Thanks ladies.  I nursed and pumped for 10 months last time, but my brain is not working and I honestly could not remember what number I followed.  I would be careful about the sniff test though--I just sniffed a bottle that got left out from yesterday and it still smells fine.  
  • Congratulations @mrszoess! Those rosy cheeks though! ♡
  • thanks @allythekid how's johnny? 
  • Oof, twins have decided they want to be on an every two hour feeding schedule instead of every three- I'm exhausted and my nips are so sore! Tough it out for a few days, or how do you stick to your schedule?
  • @mrszoess Ok so evetyone's baby is so cute and mine is too but Violet is seriously so stinkin adorable! I love her cute little face! 
  • @mrszoess I love the name Violet-/she so looks like a violet too  :)
  • LizaKate1213LizaKate1213 member
    edited September 2016
    @kmvisioli, there really is no schedule this early on. Breast milk is absorbed much faster than formula so feedings as often as every 1-2 hours are normal. Feeding on demand also cues your body to build a good supply. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but throw out that schedule mama! My cousin tandem nursed twins for over a year and her only consistency was that she always fed both at the same time. If one was hungry, the other ate too and vice versa. Good luck!
    BabyGaga
  • @LizaKate1213 with DS1 I nursed on demand past a year, but with twins that is just a lot to handle. The NICU had them on a 3-hr feeding schedule, which is what I was trying to stick to. Guess we'll try adjusting to what they seem to be needing for now.
  • @kmvisioli- the positive side of more frequent feedings is that (sometimes) it will lead to longer stretches of sleep at night. 

@gatorMom2014- PPs had good advice, I feel like the range has somewhat to do with how warm the room temp is. Smelling it will definitely tell you though. 
  • Oh no @kmvisioli I'm sorry to hear about the sore nips!  Also, sorry that I am too tired right now to search the board and see how old your LOs are but maybe they are going through a growth spurt and just feeding more often because of that right now. Do you have lanolin and did you try nipple shields? There's also these Lansinoh gel nipple soothing pads that might help. I know some people say not to get them used to using the shields…but I think having twins is probably an exceptional circumstance and the last thing you need is damage that makes it even more painful to feed! Some of my friends have gone back to see their LC weeks after delivery sort of as a refresher or to figure out a new issue so that might be another option if you have not seen one recently? +1 for, as long as their weights are ok according to ped and they have enough wet/poopy diapers each day I would forget the schedule. Good luck double-mama!
  • Does anyone have the "shakes"? I am extremely cold. Bone chilling and teeth shattering cold. 
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

• @PCOSbaby I haven't gotten there quite yet, buy I know it's coming, I have icy hands and I remember the chills following a day or so after icy hands for me before =s

@kmvisioli Have you been pumping along with BFing? If so, I would just give some breast milk bottles for feedings when your nips are exceptionally sore.
  • thanks @orangeev i needed that today. she makes me so happy it helps
    me forget that i can barely wipe myself yet from this c section. sleep is impossible and im
    losinf my marbles 
  • Yay @allythekid & Johnny! So happy for good news! Let's hope it keeps getting better.

• I'm sooo happy to hear that! Johnny is such a strong baby already @AllyTheKid
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @allythekid yay!!! go johnny go!!! while the nicu is a very scary place it seems like you have
    amazing doctors and he's doing awesome! 
  • Yay @AllyTheKid!! What a great update! 
  • @AllyTheKid- I'm so relieved to hear that things are stable. I hope you can get some answers and go home with him asap!!
  • So glad to hear the great update, @AllyTheKid! Hoping for more good updates to come!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm happy that Johnny is doing better! @AllyTheKid
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

• @AllyTheKid great news!! Praying for your little man!!
    DS born 2016
  • YAY @AllyTheKid that definitely is great news!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Question mamas - did anyone deal with wicked horrid worse than pregnancy swelling in their feet once they delivered? Mine is consistently getting worse and the nurse wasn't worried yesterday, saying it's just gonna take some time for me to pee out all of the extra fluid, but it's SO BAD. 
  • Question mamas - did anyone deal with wicked horrid worse than pregnancy swelling in their feet once they delivered? Mine is consistently getting worse and the nurse wasn't worried yesterday, saying it's just gonna take some time for me to pee out all of the extra fluid, but it's SO BAD. 
    Yup! I couldn't wear any shoes other than my house booties because my feet were so swollen. I stayed in bed for two days with them elevated and the swelling went away. 

Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

• Go Johnny! @AllyTheKid
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • @PCOSbaby I'm sorry yours were bad but I'm glad I'm not the only one. 

And yall, the struggle bus is real today. I'm thankful the babies have the NICU nurses right now because it is taking everything in my soul to get out of bed, I'm not sure I'd be able to lift two babies. Every muscle I used to get those babies out are feeling the burn and how I have not really used them up until delivery. My back is sore from the epidural, my stomach has gas pains from everything settling, my arms and legs are so wobbly that I can barely lift either, and my vagina.... well, now it really feels like it's been hit with a sledgehammer. Life is good. :(
  • @sjo_thetwins i had minor swelling but i was so fucking itchy from the way i swelled 
  • @AllyTheKid I am so happy Johnny is doing well! I now understand what it's like to not have control over your child's health/care and it's taxing. You're a rockstar mama and Johnny will be home with your family soon. ❤️
  • @AllyTheKid I'm so happy to hear that Johnny is making progress!
  • Thanks for the tips and encouragement ladies! I checked back in with our LC and got some advice, and she's stopping by on Monday to do a recheck for us. I also kind of forgot when the growth spurts usually happen, but I'm guessing that's the main deal. 

@AllyTheKid so glad you are getting good feedback, even though it is so frustrating to not have a clear answer. I hope you're all sorted out soon!

@PCOSbaby I definitely had the cold shaky thing at home for a little while after DS1 (vaginal delivery), usually after nursing. I think it was just hormonal, sometimes also because I needed more calories.