February 2017 Moms

Birth Playlists

2»

Re: Birth Playlists

• @cinderin your comments were out of place and, frankly, out of line. There is nothing wrong with planning and *gasp!* having a little fun. I hope we can all get this thread to what it was-- a fun GTKY planning exercise.
  • Loading the player...
  • Shew. I'm glad someone said something. I read that yesterday and could do nothing else but roll my eyes. I'm not great at forming words into a cohesive thought particularly when I find something so irritating and stupid. But all of you ladies definitely said it best. I wish I could give multiple love it's for your responses. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I feel that Carry On My Wayward Son would be inspirational regardless of delivery type. Also DH loves CCR (sigh), so I'm sure some of that will make it onto the list.

Oh, and Jim Croce. Lots of Jim Croce. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Gangster Rap, Dupstep&  Heavy Metal would be appropriate right? Because I'm pretty sure that's usually my workout playlist... lol 

I'll probably have a lot of acoustic music. I've been listening to a Spotify playlist of songs turned acoustic and it's one of my favorites. Although I am serious about my first statement, because I do love me some heavy music when working out, I think the rural area that I live in may not be quite ready for that playlist in the birthing room.  :#
  • Gangster Rap, Dupstep&  Heavy Metal would be appropriate right? Because I'm pretty sure that's usually my workout playlist... lol 

I'll probably have a lot of acoustic music. I've been listening to a Spotify playlist of songs turned acoustic and it's one of my favorites. Although I am serious about my first statement, because I do love me some heavy music when working out, I think the rural area that I live in may not be quite ready for that playlist in the birthing room.  :#
    I think we are musical soulmates. 
  • +1 to carry on my wayward son

Also, Wagon Wheel is a favorite of mine and Home by Edward Sharpe & the magnetic zoros
  • @cinderin I really don't get where your comments are even coming from. No one was talking about having their perfect birth... it's a thread about music to have playing. I like hearing people's different music choices! 

Honestly I'd never thought of making a playlist but I think it sounds like a great idea! I like the plan of having 2, 1 for relaxing and 1 with more of a beat for pushing. It's a simple thing to do and if it bothers me I can always turn it off.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• In my past experiences, I did most of the laboring at home, and just made it in time to deliver. Not necessarily ideal but until the contractions were closer together and painful, I wanted to be at home. During that whole time I stayed busy and talked on the phone lol I never even realized until this thread that music was even something to consider but I could imagine listening to music, music I like. I'm not sure if it would be helpful to me or not. But once it's go time in the hospital, I didn't want anything going on. I didn't want to hear the nurses yapping about what they were getting ready. I didn't want to hear my husband tapping his feet (he might have got scolded for that) and I think music would just further annoy me. But if I tried to listen to music, I think I'd want to go back to my younger teenage days where I feel was the funnest summer of my life. Whenever I listen to my old burned cds it makes me happy, and puts me in a different place. Back then I listened to these types... taking back sunday, the used, hawthorne heights, Yellowcard, story of the year, smile empty soul, Linkin park... seriously @peachesnbean has anyone ever listened to that stuff during any of their labor and delivery or do you think it would cause madness lol  (I know each person is different, and what works for others might not work for me)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @peachesnbean oh I agree with you! I was referring to @cinderin 's odd correlation between a birth playlist thread and her diatribe on "best laid plans" when it comes to how we feel about our births.

I highly doubt someone is going to lament that their playlist didn't work out when they're holding their newborn for the first time.
  • So this post really inspired me to start looking at music and putting together a playlist JUST IN CASE. I love the multiple playlists that @peachesnbean outlined (thank you for that idea). Luckily, about 90% of the summer I met my now husband was based on music, and assembling playlists has been a staple of our relationship since. Every trip has a playlist. I imagine that my playlist will consist mostly of songs that are just my jam and get me jazzed up from old playlists. All of these songs bring me back to some vacation we took, and I feel like those memories would just be fantastic as a distraction. As PP have stated, if it irritates me, I can turn it off or skip songs. But some of my faves are:

Flo Rida's In the Ayer
    Alabama's Dixieland Delight
    Queen's Don't Stop me Now 
    The Supremes' You Can't Hurry Love
    Volbeat's Heaven Nor Hell
    Rihanna's Don't Stop the Music
    Big & Rich's I Came to Get Down

And now looking at it, I kind of feel like @kswiger06 and wonder if this is a "normal' playlist. I think someone said theirs would all be EDM...so I maybe don't feel so weird. 
  • @peachesnbean I didn't know you are a birth doula that is amazing!  I am a FTM and have a doula for this birth (and maybe postpartum too, we'll see) and all the doulas I met with were some of the most supportive and helpful women I've ever met.  What a wonderful thing to do!!
  • @kirstynikole you legit made me LOL. I like your vibes, girl.  

I was thinking of having songs like
    "Just the two of us" -Will Smith
    "Mama" -Boyz II Men
    "Precious" -Depeche Mode 
    "Isn't She Lovely" -Stevie

I was thinking they'd be inspirational to me and encourage me to keep being strong through the pain.  But then again, it's highly probable I might just cry the whole time listening to these lyrics.  Lol. 

• @cinderin wow, I hearted your comment when I read it just now, but evidently it was quite unpopular. Whoops. I can see both sides.

I can see how what you said could be defeatist. (I liked that description of it, I didn't see condescending as much as I could see some defeatist)  Birth Playlists by themselves certainly aren't a 'strict plan', but this thread did made me think a bit about strict plans, and the emotional pitfalls of having really strict expectations. Music is a really light topic to chime in on this view, but I don't think there will ever be a great opening to talk about views on strict birth plans.

This is evidently an UO, but really specific, detailed birth plans make me a bit uneasy for the mom.That said, I'm sure everything will be fine soon after, no matter how much plan goes by the wayside. I've had two close friends deliver this year. Neither had super strict plans, but both were upset by the fact that they didn't "succeed". They both used that word. At least for a while, one felt almost victimized, and the other felt like she failed. I worry that people that have really restrictive plans will be more likely to be disappointed like my friends were. 

I can see the rub, but you're cool with me. It was a little maudlin, maybe, but I just assumed you're more of a mother hen type than me :D .
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lafreeman21Lafreeman21 member
    edited September 2016
    @poetryandoceans Oh! haha. Edit: we don't have one yet.

I was mainly responding to @cinderin 's pounding. I haven't even worked on my birthplan yet.
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker