Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Flu shot

Mamas: do you get the flu shot for yourself?  I know it is recommended for baby but I have never gotten the flu shot except while I was pregnant, so I've never really given it much thought...

Re: Flu shot

• I never got it before I was pregnant because I didn't care enough, but now that I have a kid I just do not want to risk being out of commission, or worse, spreading it to him, so yeah, I'm getting it.
  • I have always gotten flu shot and will get it next month.  My work offers it for free so I take advantage 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've taken it before but I chose not to get it anymore. It's mandatory for my husband to get the shot and he still got the flu. My kids did not get the flu shot and they have never got the flu to this point. But it's all up to you mama 
  • I never did pre-baby, but I got it when I was pregnant and I got it again this year when it was offered for free at work. Little man will get it at his next doctor's appointment and my DH will get it soon, too. Not to sound too much like my mother, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
  • I never got one either until baby came along. Now anything I can do to help keep her healthy is worth it. 
  • I never got it before I was pregnant because I didn't care enough, but now that I have a kid I just do not want to risk being out of commission, or worse, spreading it to him, so yeah, I'm getting it.
    This.

And in response to PP who said her kids never got the flu despite not getting the shot, the flu shot helps your body to decrease the effects of the flu, should you get it, so the implication that they don't need it in order to avoid the flu is incorrect. 

A lot of folks get winter colds and think they have the flu, but having the real flu is really effing crappy. Being a SAHM, and a military spouse where my DH is gone for days at a time, I do not want to risk feeling like I'm trying to die while I have to parent my kid all day. And I most certainly don't want to parent a kid who is that sick. So yeah. Flu shot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My work offers the shots for free, so I've always gotten them then, even though I have never had the actual Influenza Virus.  DH had at least 3 confirmed cases of Influenza in the 10 years we were together before DD was born, but refused to get a shot until this past year because DD was too little to get one for the first few months of the flu season.

Influenza, ACTUAL Influenza, is terrible and will cause you to be bed ridden for DAYS.  It would be pretty difficult to care for a child in that condition, so I will always get the shot.  Additionally, DD gets it, so she is covered, but that doesn't mean she couldn't bring it home from daycare, or that DH of I couldn't catch it during daycare drop off/pick up.  Daycare is a germ emporium.  As a result I will take ALL OF THE VACCINES PLEASE.  Seriously, someone in her infant class last year had SCARLET FEVER WHAT YEAR IS IT RIGHT NOW?