June 2016 Moms

Dressing baby at night

Now that the night's are getting a little colder, how is everyone thinking about keeping their babies warm while they sleep? My LO hates her arms confined so sleep sacks without arm holes are out of the question. Not sure the best way to keep her hands warm as mittens won't stay on either.

Re: Dressing baby at night

• We live in Texas and keep our house pretty cool during the summers. We've always had our LO sleep in footed pjs and then we swaddle her with hands out. Sometimes her hands are a bit cool - not sure what the solution is for that.
  • Footed PJs, flannel sheets, and if it is really cold, a wearable blanket.  If everything is covered with only hands and head exposed, they will be fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a short sleeve onesie underneath a long sleeved footed sleeper, and we have the heat up to 70 in the house. Her hands are a little chilly in the mornings, but I think extremities tend to be cooler in general. As long as their trunk stays warm I think they're OK.
  • laurendiaz02laurendiaz02 member
    edited September 2016
    Cold?  Lol. It's hot as hell here in Northern San Diego. It was 75 degrees this morning at 4am.  Supposed to be 100 this afternoon. We run our AC at night so he's usually wearing one of those bag pjs that are open at the bottom (has long sleeves), mittens to discourage his hair pulling and socks. 
  • Thanks everyone! We're using footed pjs and still swaddling arms out so her body's definitely warm enough but her hands have been so cold in the morning. I didn't know if there was something else I could use to keep them warm or if it was even worth worrying about. It dropped into the 40s last night here in the northeast. DH loves having the windows open when it's like this but we've left them closed in LO's room.
  • We are doing a long sleeve shirt with a sleeveless sleep sack. But inside it has a Velcro chest strap inside that I think helps her feel snuggly and the only thing that is out is her hands and head. On colder nights I will probably use a cotton baby hat but so far we keep it 72 ish and she's been fine.
  • I've been wondering about the same thing. We have been putting her in a footed sleeper and a sleeveless sleep sack. Her hands are cold in the morning though. Wondering if there are sleepers in larger sizes that have mitten cuffs. She likes to suck her thumb though, so not sure that would work either.
  • arteduc8 said:
    I've been wondering about the same thing. We have been putting her in a footed sleeper and a sleeveless sleep sack. Her hands are cold in the morning though. Wondering if there are sleepers in larger sizes that have mitten cuffs. She likes to suck her thumb though, so not sure that would work either.
    Yes! I loved the cuffs that came on the newborn sleepers but I don't think they come in larger sizes. I really wish they did.
  • They make stand alone mittens for the same purpose, but personally I don't worry too much about kiddo's hands. Baby extremities stay cooler than the rest of their body normally.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Yea, my LO was always able to get the mittens off. I'm starting not to worry too much about her hands. Glad to hear it's ok! 
  • So I did a quick search and found that old navy has some sleepers with mitten cuffs!  I just bought 2, one for 3-6 and one for 6-9.  Thought they'd be good to have on hand for cold nights. Her nursery can get cold in winter and we can get some brutal cold weather here in Chicago. 
    https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1011410&vid=1&pid=153929362

• Cold?  Lol. It's hot as hell here in Northern San Diego. It was 75 degrees this morning at 4am.  Supposed to be 100 this afternoon. We run our AC at night so he's usually wearing one of those bag pjs that are open at the bottom (has long sleeves), mittens to discourage his hair pulling and socks. 
    Right?!? I'm out in east county (border of El Cajon and La Mesa) and it's 82 outside right now. 

We also run our AC all day, so we put her in either a sleep sack that's open at the bottom or cotton footed jammies. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Walmart also sells sleep sacks with mitten cuffs. We love them and are going to have to get more for our growing baby!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • arteduc8 said:
    So I did a quick search and found that old navy has some sleepers with mitten cuffs!  I just bought 2, one for 3-6 and one for 6-9.  Thought they'd be good to have on hand for cold nights. Her nursery can get cold in winter and we can get some brutal cold weather here in Chicago. 
    https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1011410&vid=1&pid=153929362

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to check these out!