January 2016 Moms

LO not crawling yet?

Anyone else's LO not crawling yet? My guy will be 9 months on the 16th and hasn't shown any interest yet. For those of you whose babies are already crawling, did you do anything to encourage it? 

Re: LO not crawling yet?

• I've read in a few places some babies don't crawl at all and just go straight to walking! 

We we didn't do anything to encourage it, LO was really determined by her fear of missing out :smile:
  • My girl was also born on the 16th! She just started crawling about a week ago. Until that, she just rolled. Now she doesn't stop crawling and trying to stand on her own. We didn't do anything to encourage it, just a lot of floor time. He may just go into walking as pp mentioned! 
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't do anything really to encourage it.  Just lots of floor time and he was interested.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• We didn't do anything to encourage it beyond putting his toys just out of reach.
    My brother never crawled though, so try not to stress out too much.  Some babies just don't.
  •  Mine literally went from nothing and no interest to crawling in a week. So it can really come out of nowhere. But at the same time all babies are different rates I don't think they generally start until around nine months. And like someone else said sometimes they don't even crawl at all they just go straight to walking 
  • My daughter doesn't crawl yet. She scoots backwards and rolls but no crawling. She loves to stand up with assistance too
  • My LO JUST started crawling yesterday! She only just recently showed a little interest. It was definitely pretty sudden. Even now, she prefers to stand or "walk". Floor time and wanting to chase our cats is what helped I think. 
  • fishee333 said:
    My LO JUST started crawling yesterday! She only just recently showed a little interest. It was definitely pretty sudden. Even now, she prefers to stand or "walk". Floor time and wanting to chase our cats is what helped I think. 
    Trying to chase our cat was definitely an insentive! She wanted to catch her so bad! Now the poor cat cant get away fast enough lol
  • No crawling here yet either. Just this week he got up onto all fours and rocks back and forth for a few seconds before he goes (read: falls) back to his belly. I've been clapping and acting excited for him when he does this to encourage him but, like others, I think his main motivation to crawl will be to try and catch the dog.  Good luck, I'm sure he will figure it out on his own timetable
  • My son manages to make it from one side of the blanket to another without ever crawling! My ped said that's not a milestone they worry about since some babies never crawl...they just go straight to walking.
  • 9 months here and no technical belly off the floor crawling but just about everything else.  She has her closest moments when we put objects she loves just barely out of reach and continue to move them as she gets close.  Also we have really upped our floor time and given floor time in new environments - probably about 5 hours a day total. 
  • Ive got an "Army Crawler". Never gets his belly off the ground. he was born on the 16th as well. He does however get anywhere he wants to go and q
  • Ours army crawled exclusively for about a month.  Now he's about 50/50 regular crawling and army crawling
  • We've finally got "almost" crawling. Like others, I've upped the floor time a bunch. Setting objects out of reach never helped. The cat has also been a big motivator here as well. 
    Evie has the arms moving correctly and the knees moving, just not at the same time. When she goes out with the arms, from behind I try pushing the legs a little, so she does give up. I'm not sure how much it really helps, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something. 
  • Thanks for the suggestions and for helping me not worry too much :smile: I've been spending more time on the floor with him and he's started wanting to be on his belly more, so I feel like that's encouraging! 
  • Did anyone else's LOs also get terrible right when they started crawling? Trying to figure out what in the heck is going on at my house for the last 2 days!
  • mestokes said:
    Did anyone else's LOs also get terrible right when they started crawling? Trying to figure out what in the heck is going on at my house for the last 2 days!
    Could be teething? Mine LOs first two teeth on the bottom she was fine. The top two she was miserableeeee. Mine did get a bit fussy before crawling out of frustration though
  • My girl was born on 1/5 and no crawling yet. She just started getting up on all fours, she'll stay there for a few seconds before she goes back down. Once she's up she'll push backwards but won't move her legs or anything, we call her the reverse-er lol - i'm not too worried yet.
  • My little one went from zero to crawling in about 3 days, so it will happen fast. If you want to help though I bought the app Baby Sparks and it has been awesome helping my LO's development! It has me teach him things I would have never thought to. It gives you activities to do with your baby every day to help them learn to do things like crawl and walk and also with things like social skills and cognitive prosseccing, sensory skills. It's the best app I have ever bought. I think it is $5 for the 6-12 month activity pack. I sounds like a advertisement but I really do love it! 
  • grkgdss00 said:
    My girl was born on 1/5 and no crawling yet. She just started getting up on all fours, she'll stay there for a few seconds before she goes back down. Once she's up she'll push backwards but won't move her legs or anything, we call her the reverse-er lol - i'm not too worried yet.
    My guy reversed for about a month before he started going forward. It isn't unusual as I understand it. 
  • My LO hates crawling I guess. She will only army crawl and seems to just detest getting on all fours. She does however love to walk and stand (with help). Kind of bummed she wont crawl, especially because it's back breaking to walk her around everywhere!
  • My oldest went from nothing, to crawling for one week, to walking at 9 months. This little boy has been crawling for about a month and is about to start walking, again at 9 months.  If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, no big deal.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• brightonbornbrightonborn member
    edited October 2016
    We officially have a crab crawler - https://www.parents.com/baby/development/crawling/6-cute-types-of-baby-crawls/.  He can & does go from sitting to tummy, rolls to and from tummy to back and get up on all fours...just hasn't figured out how to move one arm forward at a time!  Unfortunately our cats aren't motivators enough