January 2017 Moms
Options

Toddler Tuesday:9.27.16

I thought it would be fun for us STMs+ to have a thread to chat about our big kids as they adjust to the big changes coming in January. 

How old is/are your kiddo/s? 

Biggest challenge this week? 

Something cute they are doing recently? 

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? 

Re: Toddler Tuesday:9.27.16

• Options
    Ooh love this idea, thanks for starting it!

How old is/are your kiddo/s? A little over 2 (26 months)

Biggest challenge this week? She is basically potty trained, but she still gets busy at daycare and will poop her pants. We've been rewarding her with a Dum Dum sucker if she doesn't have any accidents, but it's been about 50/50 as to that working or not. We just try to remind her in the morning that she needs to take a break and use the potty when she has to go, and her toys will still be waiting for her when she's done. 

Something cute they are doing recently? She's been saying, "We're having a brother!" to anyone who will listen. And when you ask her what she's going to do with her brother she says, "Play blocks. And I'll change his pants and give him a bottle!" It's so cute!

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? We've been reading a lot of books about being a big sister and talking a lot about baby brother on the way. We've also been telling her all the fun things she gets to do because she's a big girl, but that the baby won't be able to do (i.e. swinging on the swings, going down the slide, eating dinner with mommy & daddy, etc). She gets really excited about all the things she can do. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I thought it would be fun for us STMs+ to have a thread to chat about our big kids as they adjust to the big changes coming in January. 

How old is/are your kiddo/s? 23 months

Biggest challenge this week? She's waking up at night and refusing her father (screaming at the top of her lungs and telling him to go away and then crying pitifully for "mama mommy"), so I'm getting really run down.  During the day she's been fantastic, though, and so much fun to be around.  Tantrums have been minimal and she's happy all the time <3

Something cute they are doing recently?  Jumping - she has big foam blocks to climb on and she's now jumping off the tall block onto the ramp and jumping off the step-block onto the floor.  She's so proud of herself every time she lands a jump

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother?  She's been asking to see "baby belly" and giving my belly hugs and kisses.  We talk about the new baby with her, but I don't know how much she's comprehending and how much she will be surprised by when he shows up.  I think when we get the nursery put together it might help to make the idea of a baby more concrete?

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Love this idea!

My DD is 2.5 years old.

Biggest challenge this week? She has been in a phase right now where she cries over everything, I mean everything. She dropped her fork, I didn't give her 3 hugs only 2 hugs, she gave the dog her snack and then is sad she did that, etc LOL. (Some of them make me laugh) This has carried over to day care so we've been working on tell her to listen to her teachers and remember to go to the potty.

Something cute they are doing recently? She is HUGE on hugs and kisses right now. She loves to go around and give us all a hug and a kiss, multiple times. She hugs my Husband, me, the baby bump, and then runs to find the dog too.

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? We have just been talking to her about being a big sister. I'm not sure she fully gets it but we have recently been cleaning out a bedroom to make a nursery and I've ordered some books on being a big sister so we can start reading.

Pregnancy Ticker

Pumpkin Spice Gone to Far| Jan '17 September Siggy Challenge

• Options
    15 months

She's been waking up around 3:30 since Sunday and playing in her bed until we go and get her at 6:30. Any attempts to put her back to bed quickly spirals into screaming so we've just left her to play but then she refuses a morning nap so that's been a blast. 

She just learned how to say "oh no" with a really cute hands on cheeks expression. I don't know where she figured it out from, we've never done it and she doesn't go to daycare or a playgroup but it's really funny. 

If prompted she'll poke me in the belly button and say "baby" but let's be real, she had no idea what's going on. 
  • Options
    How old is/are your kiddo/s? DS is just over 2 (almost 27 months).

Biggest challenge this week? Listening has been our biggest challenge lately.  Time outs don't really seem to be effective so it's been hard to figure out how to deal with this.  I feel like we talk about listening and following directions all the time right now.

Something cute they are doing recently? Yesterday I needed DH to tie my shoes because I just can't any more.  While I was waiting DS came over and said, "I do it for you mama".  He just put my laces on the top of my foot but was so proud of himself.  He can just be so sweet.

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? We talk a lot about the babies and how he's the big brother.  He tells us how he's going to help give them baths, go for walks and play cars and trucks with them.  He's been really into wanting to help so I think knowing he is going to be our helper with the babies has been a good way to talk about them and get him interested.  I'm not sure if he completely gets it though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This is a great idea! 

How old is/are your kiddo/s? my daughter is 23 months. 

Biggest challenge this week?we've been potty training for about three weeks now. She was doing so well and we four or five days with no accidents. Two days ago she started peeing in her pants when we are at home. She knows what to do and is just being lazy. She loves going on the potty and flushing it so this is weird and frustrating! She's never had an accident when we are out of the house- goes in the potty in the car, playground, etc. 

Something cute they are doing recently? she us taking ballet and that is adorable.  She's learning more words to her favorite songs and loves to sing randomly. She woke us up over the monitor singing baby beluga this weekend. 

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? Potty training for one. and We talk about baby sister and she loves to look at and kiss my belly. She doesn't really get what a sister is yet.   
  • Options
    The Boy is 4

Keeping the Boy on track for school. He's hard headed as a mule and that results in some frowny face reports. 

He started karate. I can't tell you have hilariously adorable this is!

He talks to Boy 2.0 and blows raspberries on my belly. He's finally been able to feel his brother kick and reminds me every day that my belly is BIG! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Options
    How old is/are your kiddo/s? 3-year-old boy 

Biggest challenge this week? Talking back and just being generally disagreeable. He has all the attitude of a teenage girl. Lord help me. 

Something cute they are doing recently? He is becoming a big talker. It's so funny to listen to his stories and what he thinks is important. Most revolve around dinosaurs. 

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? He is talking a little more about the baby. He will point to my tummy, and he'll say Jude's in there. We also have a book that's really cute called The Wild, Wild Inside we read about what the baby is doing in there. 
  • Options
    My daughter will be 2 in 1 month. 

Our biggest challenge is that she constantly wants me to hold her. I'm trying to limit it because I was having timeable Braxton hicks last week. Every 3 minutes. She also does not play independently at all. 

Something cute? Everything. She's been really good lately. She will out of nowhere say "I love you mama/daddy" and it melts us. 

E is losing interest in this baby sister thing. She thinks her sister is my belly button. She will be moving to her big room soon, and her sister will take the nursery. 
  • Options
    Loving this!

How old is/are your kiddo/s? DS is 2.5 years old

Biggest challenge this week? He's doing this fake crying thing which is driving us bananas. We are ignoring it but he thinks it's great, especially in front of his grandparents. 

Something cute they are doing recently? He is going to be Batman for Halloween and when you ask him what he's going to be when he grows up, his answer is "I be Batman!" He also talks about being a kangaroo like Mommy because he heard me talking about it with my husband. 

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? We talk about having "Baby Sister" in Mommy's tummy. I've also let him choose clothes for her when we're out shopping. He knows which room is hers, and we've found him in there a couple of times looking at "Sister's clothes." He hugs and kisses her, tell her he loves her. We've also talked to him about how we treat babies. My SIL has a new baby so he has a small understanding of what a baby is. He doesn't understand the implications of the change coming, but he's happy and excited right now. 
  • Options
    Great idea!

DD will be 3 next month

Pushing boundaries. If you ask her not to do something, best believe she's going to do it again JUST to see what will happen. 

She is finally starting to acknowledge the baby on the way. Last night when I was putting her to bed, she lifted up my shirt, patted my bump and whispered in my ear, "Mommy, your tummy is sooo big." 

Just talking to her more and more about it. Every night when she goes into her room for bed, she'll stop outside the nursery (her old room) and say, "that the baby room." I guess we'll have a lot of explaining to do when the baby actually sleeps in our room for the first few months. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @thepax89 I've seen these articles in a few different places and find a lot of her advice realistic and achievable (most, not all lol). Her ideas have helped me a lot. 

https://www.janetlansbury.com/2013/05/stop-entertaining-your-toddler-in-3-steps-2/
    https://www.janetlansbury.com/2015/04/help-my-toddler-cant-play-without-me/
  • Options
    @LastMango  @Teach123    Bless you both. Three was the worst for us.Then a month before he turned 4, poof! Totally new kid. I will pray for you. ;) 

BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Options

He turned 2 in July

Listening and discipline. Time out worked for a while but now it's pretty much just a game to him. 

He started school 2 days a week in August and it's so cute to listen to him tell us about what he does at school! He likes to show us how he sits "cross cross" (cross criss) on the rug during circle time. 

We talk about the baby in mommas belly and he knows his name is Cooper now, it's super cute! We're moving into our new house soon and we've been talking about his new big boy room and how the baby will sleep in the crib. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @ElleMF728 I love Janet Lansbury and the RIE approach! Good stuff. 
  • Options
    Smiley-1980Smiley-1980 member
    edited September 2016
    How old is/are your kiddo/s?  - 3 yrs and 9 months

Biggest challenge this week? - She's so opinionated now that she argues about everything and you can't make her do anything faster if you want her to ... it's impossible.

Something cute they are doing recently? - she just talks non-stop and says the funniest things

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? - She references her baby brother a lot, she understands that he's in my belly and she has to be gentle with me, she will always say Mommy can't do that because she has a baby in her tummy.  She has already learned to try and bribe to get new toys she says she wants it so she can play with it with her baby brother.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    sagoonsagoon member
    edited September 2016
    I love this idea!

4 year old boy
    Attitude.  He's like a little teenager sometimes.  He has started doing this dramatic, exasperated sigh whenever we tell him no or to stop doing something.  It is simultaneously infuriating and adorable.
    He just got his first big boy bicycle this weekend and he is just SO excited about it.  He told us he wanted a Captain America bike and we told him that he could get one if they had any but they might not.  Luckily, they had a Capt A bike in his size and we bought the floor model.  He didn't even want to try out any other bikes. 
    He seems pretty excited.  He loves kissing my belly and talking to it.  He also likes talking in a high pitched voice pretending to be his baby sister saying things to me.  Right now he seems pretty amenable to sharing his toys but we'll see how that plays out when it really comes down to it. 

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    14 month old son

Tantrums when told not to do something and teething.

Learning how to high five and humming/dancing along to twinkle twinkle little star!

He doesn't really understand what is going on yet. I don't think he will until his new sister is here.
  • Options
    My 2 youngest are 4 and 2
    Currently my 2yr old has decided that I can not take a single step in the opposite direction from him or he breaks into hysteria O_O 
    My 4yr old for the last few weeks keeps saying "I need to ask you a question" and when we say what he says "Did you know that I love you?" Lol, so cute!

My 2yr old has been playing this game with DH and I. It started with DH fake snoring and 2yr will get right up in his face and DH will open his eyes and yell HEY and scare him lol. Now the 2yr old does it and will lay down and fake snore, it's the cutest thing ever especially because he can NOT close his eyes lol.
    So far we are just working on the 2yr old acknowledging the baby. We still get 'no' from him when we ask if there is a baby in my belly. I'm sure he'll come around, but I am nervous about this transition due to him being the only one of my 4 boys where I was a SAHM his whole life, so he has not had to be away from me for any extended period of time etc and not sure how he's gonna due sharing me daily lol.
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • Options
    WholesomeWholesome member
    edited September 2016

Biggest challenge
    My son is an angel and sweet and cuddly all day with me (I'm a stay at home mom) but when his daddy comes home, he flips a switch and hits, kicks, pokes, head butts and spits on me.  This happens ONLY when his dad is home and he does this with ONLY me.  So hard for me to put this out there in the universe because I don't like airing dirty laundry... but I figured this anonymous space is a good outlet.  I think it may be a discipline issue.  My husband is a huge softie who doesn't like disciplining (he's the type that's always even keel, optimistic and ready to smile) and we've agreed that when he's home, he needs to be the disciplinarian so it isn't always just me.  Lots of empty threats and lots of pretending he doesn't see things.  I feel like if he was consistent, my son would stop testing boundaries.  I sometimes cry, not because my son is acting out (which does hurt my feelings) but because I'm frustrated and hormonal towards my husband because he doesn't think he needs to react immediately when I'm getting abused by our tiny human and I have to tell my husband to discipline - and that doesn't happen half the time.  And when I discipline (because it isn't happening otherwise half the time) my husband thinks I do it too much -- I always say if he was consistent, disciplining wouldn't need to happen very often because our son would respect boundaries and stop testing his daddy (he stopped testing me at home alone looooong ago).  I think that's falling on deaf ears; we hash out this topic frequently and it seems like each hash session only brings tiny results - so tired of having the same conversation with my squish of a husband.  My son adores his daddy and when he's home I feel like I might as well just not even be around.  I'm kind of regretting making it a huge deal when daddy comes home - now it's always a huge deal and his world revolves around his precious daddy.  I know it's wrong to feel that way but there it is.  My husband has a demanding job and his work schedule isn't always consistent during the tourism season (long days, hardly any days off) so that may be a factor as well.  My son might not like the inconsistency of his parent schedule, especially when he had both daddy and me 24/7 for over a month at the beginning of of the year when we went on vacation.

Something cute
    This is cute and a little scary.  I held a newborn yesterday.  My son wanted to hold her too but obviously I didn't let that happen because he's too young.  After a few minutes, he gently grabbed the babies hand and said softly, "don't touch my mama."

I am now scared of our upcoming transition.  I gave the baby back to her mama right away, fearing it might escalate.  Then I held him like a baby right away - ha!  (That didn't last too long though, he squirmed away the little rascal)

Prep
    He doesn't understand what is going on but knows something is wrong with me.  When someone asks where I am, he automatically says, "mama's sick," and knows how to properly use phrases like, "mama's puking," and likes to pretend he is puking in the kitchen sink (my favorite depository because it's clean and the disposal can handle anything I dish out) and the bathroom sink (because it's common for me to lose it while brushing my teeth).  I tired to have him feel the baby move a couple times but he had no idea what i was doing and even though the baby was moving, i don't think anything registered.  He loves babies so we have that going for us.  I need to get books or something to read to him.

We purchased a nursery crib set that converts to a toddler bed then a double mattress frame later on.  We're not sure if we'll just buy a big kid set for my son or buy the same nursery set for our new baby.  My husband is leaning towards just buying a big kid set and using the same set again for the new baby.  I asked my son today if he wanted a big kid bed and give his set to the new baby and he said, "that's [his name]'s bed. Don't touch [his name]'s bed."  -oh boy

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    DS 4 years and DD 16 months

Rescheduling DS's after school activities (tball just started) and figuring out how he's going to get proper sleep. For DD...getting her accustomed to not being in a carrier/held so much.

DS is getting cuddly and snuggly with me on the couch and DD does the motions to twinkle twinkle while humming it. 

DS is ready, but not eager for the crying. He is excited to help with more things. DD has no clue, but I have a baby doll that I show her how to care for/love/be gentle with and DS loves to try to teach her.
  • Options
    Wholesome said:

Biggest challenge
    My son is an angel and sweet and cuddly all day with me (I'm a stay at home mom) but when his daddy comes home, he flips a switch and hits, kicks, pokes, head butts and spits on me.  This happens ONLY when his dad is home and he does this with ONLY me.  So hard for me to put this out there in the universe because I don't like airing dirty laundry... but I figured this anonymous space is a good outlet.  I think it may be a discipline issue.  My husband is a huge softie who doesn't like disciplining (he's the type that's always even keel, optimistic and ready to smile) and we've agreed that when he's home, he needs to be the disciplinarian so it isn't always just me.  Lots of empty threats and lots of pretending he doesn't see things.  I feel like if he was consistent, my son would stop testing boundaries.  I sometimes cry, not because my son is acting out (which does hurt my feelings) but because I'm frustrated and hormonal towards my husband because he doesn't think he needs to react immediately when I'm getting abused by our tiny human and I have to tell my husband to discipline - and that doesn't happen half the time.  And when I discipline (because it isn't happening otherwise half the time) my husband thinks I do it too much -- I always say if he was consistent, disciplining wouldn't need to happen very often because our son would respect boundaries and stop testing his daddy (he stopped testing me at home alone looooong ago).  I think that's falling on deaf ears; we hash out this topic frequently and it seems like each hash session only brings tiny results - so tired of having the same conversation with my squish of a husband.  My son adores his daddy and when he's home I feel like I might as well just not even be around.  I'm kind of regretting making it a huge deal when daddy comes home - now it's always a huge deal and his world revolves around his precious daddy.  I know it's wrong to feel that way but there it is.  My husband has a demanding job and his work schedule isn't always consistent during the tourism season (long days, hardly any days off) so that may be a factor as well.  My son might not like the inconsistency of his parent schedule, especially when he had both daddy and me 24/7 for over a month at the beginning of of the year when we went on vacation.

Something cute
    This is cute and a little scary.  I held a newborn yesterday.  My son wanted to hold her too but obviously I didn't let that happen because he's too young.  After a few minutes, he gently grabbed the babies hand and said softly, "don't touch my mama."

I am now scared of our upcoming transition.  I gave the baby back to her mama right away, fearing it might escalate.  Then I held him like a baby right away - ha!  (That didn't last too long though, he squirmed away the little rascal)

Prep
    He doesn't understand what is going on but knows something is wrong with me.  When someone asks where I am, he automatically says, "mama's sick," and knows how to properly use phrases like, "mama's puking," and likes to pretend he is puking in the kitchen sink (my favorite depository because it's clean and the disposal can handle anything I dish out) and the bathroom sink (because it's common for me to lose it while brushing my teeth).  I tired to have him feel the baby move a couple times but he had no idea what i was doing and even though the baby was moving, i don't think anything registered.  He loves babies so we have that going for us.  I need to get books or something to read to him.

We purchased a nursery crib set that converts to a toddler bed then a double mattress frame later on.  We're not sure if we'll just buy a big kid set for my son or buy the same nursery set for our new baby.  My husband is leaning towards just buying a big kid set and using the same set again for the new baby.  I asked my son today if he wanted a big kid bed and give his set to the new baby and he said, "that's [his name]'s bed. Don't touch [his name]'s bed."  -oh boy

If you go the new bed route, you may want to get it sooner rather than later to make the adjustment easier. That way, he gets something new and cool and may even forget the other set was his so it won't matter by the time the baby comes. I was worried about my son looking at it that way so when we moved, we just started him in the "big boy" bed. He's not seeing the crib as his old bed and is so happy with his new one that has dinosaur sheets. It's way better than his old bed in his mind. 
  • Options
    How old?

He'll be 15 months on the 4th.

Biggest challenges lately?

He has croup so hasn't been sleeping great and wakes up early and ends up needing a morning nap. Starting nursery two mornings a week next week so we'll see how that goes trying to go down to one nap (and not being with mom or dad for the first time).

Something cute?

So many things! He learned to walk over a month ago but he still keeps his arms up trying to balance...I sort of wish he'd do this longer because it's so cute. He's learned to splash us when he's in the bath tub and laughs hysterically when he does it. With that, he started doing crazy things like the splashing and then freezing and taunting us and then doing it again like we always do with him when we tickle him. Also learned to take his diaper off so runs around with his little butt out.

Prepping for baby?

Like I mentioned, he's starting nursery two mornings a week next week to get socialized a bit, give me a break, and so that I can have some alone time with baby when he arrives in January. I'll also be able to use that time to organize a little since we'll have to move him to another room when baby arrives. We also bought him a baby doll a while back and practice what we do with baby and he always hand us the doll and pushes it up to our faces to give it kisses and then he kisses it. He's obsessed with my belly, too, and wants to see it and kiss it all the time.
  • Options
    How old is/are your kiddo/s?  My son is 2 

Biggest challenge this week? He is really living up to the phrase terrible two's this week! We had to go grocery shopping last night and we got him those gerber yogurt melts, he cried because he wanted us to put the melts on a table so he could eat it. I feel like the whole day yesterday was just a big cry/tantrum fest. 

Something cute they are doing recently? For the past few weeks he has been crawling up on the couch with me before bed time, and has me read him a few books( great cuddle time)

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? I don't think he realizes it yet.  I tell him all the time that he has a little brother coming, and he knows that the baby is in my stomach, but he probably won't understand or get it until he's here. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS is 3 DD just turned 1

Potty training has been an adventure for DS. Today he likes it, tomorrow he will want a diaper. 

DD is trying to mimic everything her brother does. Our biggest challenge with her currently is keeping her seated and eating. Which is totally new to us bc DS was such a great eater at her age

DS will run very and kiss my belly and ask is his brother is out yet.

DD is learning so much everyday, that she surprises us with something cute all the time. I mostly love her extreme love for her daddy. She is obsessed. 

We just started talking about sharing a room with DS. He is super excited, but not sure he truely understands whats really going down haha

DD has no clue what's coming. She started playing more with baby dolls so we are trying to show her how to be gentle. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    How old is/are your kiddo/s? DD is 3

Biggest challenge this week? She has been waking throughout the night and refusing to sleep past 6am, which makes it hard for us to get ready for work in the morning.  On top of this, DH is on call for jury duty so I might have to do the morning routine on my own.  I'm already getting such little sleep.

Something cute they are doing recently? She grabs DH's ukulele, strums it and sings "Reindeer are Better than People" from Frozen, complete with a "Sven" (reindeer) voice.   Then she giggles uncontrollably at herself.  I love it.

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? She's very interested in the changing size of the baby.  She gets excited on Tuesdays when I hit a new week and corresponding fruit/veggie.  It's been an educational experience in the produce aisle.  She calls the baby "her baby" (ex. "When my baby comes, I'm going to sing her songs when she cries")

Jan. 2017 Sept. Siggy Challenge - Pumpkin Spice Gone TOO Far!

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 2/3/16 --> MC 2/13/16

• Options
    How old is/are your kiddo/s? DD is 28 months

Biggest challenge this week? DH is traveling out of the country for work so it's all me this week :(

@emy730 Your situation sounds just like mine right now, she will not let DH do anything for her, it's constantly "no no, mommy do it" I want to pull my hair out! 

We are also a month out of potty training, the pee she got in a day, but the poop has been my ultimate nightmare! We still have small accidents for poop, but we are slowwwlllyyyy getting there. We started preschool this month and she's finally getting this separation thing, light at the end of the tunnel!

Something cute they are doing recently? She normally puts up a fuss during nap and bedtime, but lately she's been saying "mommy, I tired, I lay down now" serious music to ears! Just hearing her randomly talking to herself or singing a song makes me realize how much she's grown.

How are they prepping to be a big sister/brother? She'll point to my stomach and say "mommy tummy so big!" and will talk to the baby here and there. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I must say, as a FTM wanting multiple kids, these stories are so precious and make me excited to start my little family! <3 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know this is a weekly entry thing but thought this would be the best place to share this nugget.  Made me have some 'feels.

https://www.littlethings.com/laura-paulescu-maternity-photo/?utm_source=todd&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=baby
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Wholesome said:
    I know this is a weekly entry thing but thought this would be the best place to share this nugget.  Made me have some 'feels.

https://www.littlethings.com/laura-paulescu-maternity-photo/?utm_source=todd&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=baby
    The photographer is my friend! She's amazing and has gotten so much publicity for this photo. It's crazy!