November 2016 Moms

how late is too late?

Hi all,
I'm trying to schedule my dissertation proposal defense (basically a one-hour meeting with a committee, where I present my work and answer questions). Do you think 38 weeks is too late? How far along did you start to cancel or reassign big work events? Or go on leave? I'd appreciate any feedback :)

Re: how late is too late?

• I've been off on medical leave but my plan was 38 weeks. 
  • I'm going on leave at 33wks! Can't wait. I spend 12hrs a day at the office and am on call before and after that - I don't feel physically capable of going longer than this. Case in point there are days I literally can't even step away to pee and have to put that on the calendar. I'd say it varies from person to person. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I would be careful you might be okay but 2 out of my 3 kids came before 38weeks my doctor always put me out at 36 weeks to give me time. 
  • I would just let your committee know you'll be 38 weeks. You just need to decide if you're ready to handle the stress when you'll probably be uncomfortable. I was super duper stressed around my proposal and defense, so I don't know if I could have handled it while in 1st or 3rd trimester at all.
    Married 10/12 & TTC since 09/15
    BFP #1 11/06/15 - EDD 7/14/16 - MMC 12/14/15 - D&C 12/22/15
    BFP #2 03/13/16 - EDD 11/26/16

• I'll take leave at 36 weeks this time same with DD. I wouldn't want to be taking on anything too stressful at 38 weeks. Plus you will be pretty uncomfortable is my guess.
  • I stopped working with my first at around 32 weeks, but that was only because I was a teacher and summer holidays started then. 

Personally by the end I was too big and distracted to have done a major project. Everyone is different though, I had co-workers that taught on the Friday and has their babies on a Monday and that worked for them.
  • With my first I went out at 36 weeks and had her at 39 weeks. I'm a high school teacher and was mentally done, but probably could have kept going physically. This time I am staying until 38 weeks unless this baby decides otherwise.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • I have a co-worker who was due last week and she's now a week overdue and still here. It honestly depends on how you feel and how you've felt throughout the pregnancy.
  • I cut off any big projects at 36 weeks just in case, but plan on checking in/WFH as long as I am feeling up to it up to 38 weeks, then I am home for good.

• I'd be nervous about scheduling something at 38 weeks. I wasn't last pregnancy, as I was convinced I'd go over (it being my first pregnancy and all), but DS came at 38 weeks. So, this time I'm much more conscientious about the fact baby could actually come early. 
  • I don't have anything really big to schedule but I work retail and I'm planning on working up until I go into labor or the OB tells me I can't work. I'm saving as much of my FMLA as I can to spend more time with baby. I'm pretty sure 12 weeks is going to fly by fast enough that I don't want to waste any of it before baby arrives.
  • Thank you all so much! This is great feedback. The other option is to complete the written portion of the proposal by 37 weeks, then come back to present in January--probably tired and brain dead by then, but at least I won't be worried about going into labor :wink:
  • FirePoppy said:
    Thank you all so much! This is great feedback. The other option is to complete the written portion of the proposal by 37 weeks, then come back to present in January--probably tired and brain dead by then, but at least I won't be worried about going into labor :wink:
    Obviously it's all subjective to how we feel and while I was not submitting a proposal, I found it much easier to concentrate and articulate my thoughts before having the baby than after. This is, of course, using teaching as my gage, not a doctorate. Good luck!
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Now that I see the other option, I'd do it at 38 weeks.  Yes, it's cutting it close but I'd rather get it out of the way before baby gets here and you're world is tipped upside down lol.
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • I am FTM and only at 33 weeks so I cannot comment based on my own experience. But while I was doing my PhD, I had two friends who left their proposal defense or dissertation defense to after the baby and I saw that it was much harder for them to concentrate on it after the baby was born. I do not know your program or committee but if it is not such a stressful exam, I would schedule it before baby so you would be relieved and do not have to worry about it during your maternity leave. And if something happens and you get the baby early etc., you would have a good excuse to delay.
  • Team get it done now. Sleep deprivation makes it so hard to focus on things that require brain power. Even 4 months post partum, I would have trouble recalling words mid-presentation at work to the extent that I basically had to rehearse exactly what I wanted to say verbatim. Right now I'm tired but can still carry on a normal conversation without having to pause to contemplate "that word that means a numerical portion of stuff" (percentage -- see, I'm not talking about complicated words that I would forget).
  • Ok, you all are the best--great advice! It seems like I should just try for November, especially as I'm still feeling really good, (and if I deliver early, I guess I'll have to postpone). This is so helpful, everyone!