February 2017 Moms

Baby shower question

Sorry, I'm creating a new thread because I don't want to interrupt the discussion going on in Weekly Random. 

So some of my most closest friends are in other states.  Would it be rude or bad taste if my cousin called some of them to ask if they will be in town at the time of the shower so they can be invited? 
I'm just confused on what to do because they couldn't be invited to the wedding cuz it was last minute and abroad. We WERE going to do a reception here, but got pregnant instead.  So we decided to save that money for baby.  It's not that I want gifts from my friends but rather just that they can finally meet my husband.  I know that most of them do come home to Chicago from time to time to visit their own families.  What do you think? 

Re: Baby shower question

• @scifichick09 Thank you so much. I think that's what I might ask my cousin to do.  

• Loading the player...
  • Yes like @scifichick09 said... around here we mail out invites to out of state people, but never expect them to actually make it. I think it's more the idea of feeling included still even if it's not an option for them at the time. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would feel super put on the spot if someone called me about it. 
    I think an invitation is just fine. 
  • You ladies are awesome!! Thank you for your advice!!

• I figured I'd throw my question in here. 
    Who is typically invited to a shower as far as guests? Other than friends of the mom/dad-to-be, does my mom/his mom get to invite people too? If so, how many? Where do you draw the line?
    My MIL has a list 10 deep of people she wants to invite, I don't even have that many on MY list. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @imalwaysme79 have fun navigating those waters. I think it's really a personal preference that varies depending on your situation.

Our baby shower has turned into a nightmare because my Mammaw INSISTED we HAD to invite like 20 people she knows...and I've never met at least half of them and barely know the other half. But, the hostess didn't mind the long list (45 people!) and said not to bother upsetting her over it. I'd just check with whoever is hosting and see if they have a limit to how many people they can accommodate.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

• I don't know 75% of the people my MIL wants to invite. In the grand scheme of things, my sisters (the hosts) probably won't mind, but I do. I feel that baby showers are gift grabby anyways, and then to invite people I don't know (on top of people I rarely talk to but they're my H's friends wives). I feel like it's going to be so awkward. 
    Thank you for your perspective, @scifichick09

• That's weird for your parents to invite people YOU don't know.  If someone invited me to their kids' shower and I'd never met them...I don't think I'd go.  

• My MIL invited a bunch of her friends and coworkers, I didn't even have any idea since she threw it. 
    Nobody minded, and they were all very sweet and excited for us. 
  • DH and I each have one fantastically hilarious great aunt. They are in their 70s, don't give a flip what anyone thinks, and they are my favorite people at every family event. Also they've got that big old lady hair going on... I plan to sit them right next to me at my shower! 

Definitely go with the flow on the older ladies coming to the shower, @imalwaysme79!

@AfKash I also vote to just send an invite to the out of town family. A call might put them on the spot.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
    Who is typically invited to a shower as far as guests? Other than friends of the mom/dad-to-be, does my mom/his mom get to invite people too? If so, how many? Where do you draw the line?
    My MIL has a list 10 deep of people she wants to invite, I don't even have that many on MY list. 
    Technically, whoever is hosting/paying has final say in the guest list.  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • edited September 2016
    For my shower, everyone's bringing a dish.  Except for my 4 girlfriends.  

ETRemove: I just got real paranoid someone from my family will read what I wrote.  :neutral:

We have to play a little bit of middle-man because there is no interaction between my family (hosts) and his mom. My sister was looking for a preliminary head count to be able to start planning the shower (more to know where it can be held). 

I appreciate everyone's feedback though. If it makes her happy, I'll just let it be. 

We have to play a little bit of middle-man because there is no interaction between my family (hosts) and his mom. My sister was looking for a preliminary head count to be able to start planning the shower (more to know where it can be held). 

I appreciate everyone's feedback though. If it makes her happy, I'll just let it be. 

I would just check with your hosts about how many people they can accommodate from MIL's list (assuming they know their number and yours, and are being pretty fair with her). If it doesn't put them over the limit, I'd let it be. My MIL is inviting some work friends too. 
  • @Xstatic3333, I think that's how were going to play it out. :)

• We had a separate shower for my SIL with our family and let my brother know up front. My SIL didn't know everyone my mom invited but they all knew my brother from our childhood and are very close to my mom. Old people can be weird in that if they're close to your parents or grandparents they feel close to you since they hear so much about you/see so many pictures. My mom let my brother know everyone we were inviting. With my shower my MIL and husband put together a guest list for their side but we just had the one shower because my mom and MIL have a really close relationship.
  • Question - is it ok to invite people to a shower who you already know won't be able to attend?  My husband's family are across the country from us, but his mom asked me to send info about the shower because even though she can't attend, she wants to send gifts.  Which is great, but then if I wanted to keep things even with his family, I would also need to include husband's sisters and stepmom.  They are all super nice, and would like to be included I'm sure, but they are obviously not attending and I don't want it to look like a gift grab.  I already don't love showers anyway, and am only having one because my girlfriend and sister really wanted to throw one...
  • So true. We didn't invite H's SM to my bridal shower since she lives 1,000 miles away and we didn't want her to feel a need to send a gift since we knew money was tight. She was SUPER bummed and I still feel awful about it. 
  • I would call my OOT friends/family to give them a heads up about the shower jic they were planning on a trip back home. 

The guest list is always so hard when your parents/IL's want to invite X amount of people.  I would check with the host(s) and see what numbers they were thinking and then go from there.  

*We actually had 2 showers because both of our families are big and it would have been too crazy to try and have just 1 party (even though both hostesses said they would be willing to combine the showers)*

I also agree that it is best to send out OOT invites to close family/friends whom you know would not be able to attend because so many people end up getting their feelings hurt

• edited September 2016
    I have a cousin who is like in his 50's. For whatever effing reason he thinks he's hilarious and always picks on me. He makes fat jokes....while I'm pregnant! I've told him several times to stop.  But he's immature and doesn't.  Oh, and I dint ever like to talk about it, but his daughter is seriously overweight so I don't get how he makes fun of me. 
    Anyways, at the wedding last weekend, he started again.  I was in a VERY pissed off mood already so I kind of went off on him on front of everybody.  :hushed:
    I don't think his wife will be attending my baby shower, now. He he he. :shrug:  :#

• AfKash said:
    I don't think his wife will be attending my baby shower, now. He he he. :shrug:  :#
    I see this as a win on all levels! Firstly, his horrible behaviour gets highlighted to everyone. Secondly, he knows that it will no longer be tolerated & thirdly, his wife is not coming to cause hassel at your shower!