January 2016 Moms

Questions for mommas of boys

Hello,

Our little guy has recently 'discovered' his privates. Today I noticed his little penis was a bit red and maybe a bit swollen...I've put vasoline on it but I don't know what's normal and not? Any other home remedies until I can call the Dr Monday?

Re: Questions for mommas of boys

• I don't have any advice. But you're not the only one. Our little guy tries to pull and grab with every diaper change. 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • I actually just took my little guy to the doc for this last week! She prescribed some antibiotic onintment since it was really red and swollen she said he must have just pulled his skin back too far when he was pulling on it but she said for just a little redness and general penis care Vaseline is perfect! Also wanted to add he is circumcised. It cleared up in just a day! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! He is circumcised as well. I am going to treat it with vasoline and re-evaluate Monday. Someone in my family mentioned it might be adhesions from his circumcision which will also heal on its own.

• @Z'smommy hays exactly what his pediatrician said that circumcised boys almost all get slight harmless adhesions that will go away on their own but if they get accidently tugged it can cause that redness. The only respon I stopped Vaseline and took him in was because the swelling and redness wasn't improving and it seemed painful for him so I was worried about infection but I would def be doing exactly what you're doing :) hope little man heals up quick! 
  • We have the private grabbing problem too! LO thinks it's hilarious to grab and pull... I generally keep some small toys near the changing table to keep his hands occupied while I change him. So far, his favorite thing to play with during changes is the Desitin. Silly boys and their need to play with their junk already :smiley:
  • Ladies, ladies. I have 7, 9, and 11-year-olds, and the privates pulling/playing never stops. I don't think they're necessarily doing it out of any kind of pleasure, but it is almost an absent-minded gesture. Moms of their peers also have this issue. Two years ago, I watched my then 7-year-old stand in the outfield for his baseball team for the entire season while he played with himself. We just try to stress that they're called privates for a reason, and some actions aren't appropriate for public. (Public also meaning my living room.) I also stress that they should make reasonable attempts to keep their hands clean if they're planning on doing it. (We had an incident with the oldest a few years ago where he had glue on his hands and then scratched his butt. He then got a major rash from where the glue got left on his butt for too long.)
    With boys, it's always an adventure. Surrender to dealing with stuff you never wanted to deal with!
  • Ladies, ladies. I have 7, 9, and 11-year-olds, and the privates pulling/playing never stops. I don't think they're necessarily doing it out of any kind of pleasure, but it is almost an absent-minded gesture. Moms of their peers also have this issue. Two years ago, I watched my then 7-year-old stand in the outfield for his baseball team for the entire season while he played with himself. We just try to stress that they're called privates for a reason, and some actions aren't appropriate for public. (Public also meaning my living room.) I also stress that they should make reasonable attempts to keep their hands clean if they're planning on doing it. (We had an incident with the oldest a few years ago where he had glue on his hands and then scratched his butt. He then got a major rash from where the glue got left on his butt for too long.)
    With boys, it's always an adventure. Surrender to dealing with stuff you never wanted to deal with!
    My good friend's 40 year old boyfriend still puts his hand to his junk for a second or two numerous times a day as an unusual coping mechanism.
  • grkgdss00grkgdss00 member
    edited September 2016
    I'm a mom of a little girl, and she has also recently discovered "down there." Every time the diaper comes off her hands go straight there! I remember when my nephews (twins) we're around 1-2yrs old and it was constant playing - little erections all over the place. They are just exploring
  • It looks better today after a few days of vasoline or diaper rash cream!
  • I have a serious question. 

Yesterday D turned 9 months and we had an appointment- the pedi always undoes his diaper and checks his little penis. 
    She then told me that I should be pulling back his skin once a day at diaper changes or his skin will grow together ... it's been 9 months and NO ONE told me o was supposed to be doing this. But, my question is, he is circumcised so why am I needing to pull back skin? 
  • I have a serious question. 

Yesterday D turned 9 months and we had an appointment- the pedi always undoes his diaper and checks his little penis. 
    She then told me that I should be pulling back his skin once a day at diaper changes or his skin will grow together ... it's been 9 months and NO ONE told me o was supposed to be doing this. But, my question is, he is circumcised so why am I needing to pull back skin? 
    I was told so it doesn't try healing itself.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• @carlyhammond my pediatrician said pulling the skin back is important for my guy specifically because he is a plump little guy and that fat pad above his penis makes it so that the skin around his penis gets pushed up over the head a lot even though he is circumcised. If the skin is left up around the head it will attempt to reattach itself and cause adhesions. Making sure you pull it back will ensure the skin isn't around the head of the penis long enough to reattach. She also said as he gets older and looses some of his extra baby fat around his penis it will be less of a concern :) hope this helps! 
  • That is new information for me as well. good to know
  • I didn't realize after the circumcision healed the skin needed to be pulled back daily :/
    my boy kept getting redness and I used aquaphor. We are now using a steroid cream for a couple months because the skin readhered. I've already noticed much improvement. If it keeps getting red, I'd bring him to pedi to check it out :)

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• I had asked the pediatrician (not my sons regular but from his practice) who preformed my sons if there was anything I needed to do after it healed and she said nope! Then at his 4 month appointment it had readhered. Luckily the Dr was able to fix it but if it is not addressed they would need to do surgery to correct it. So yes, mamas please be sure to check it everyday and we just use some A &D to keep it lubricated before bed.