April 2017 Moms

All About Fetal Dopplers

2»

Re: All About Fetal Dopplers

• My sonoline B came in today! I watched some YouTube videos to learn how and what to listen for and found it after about twenty minutes! Now that I know how it will probably take much less time. I'm so glad I bought it.  o:)
  • @holzie I looked for too long where I thought baby was and didn't find it and got frustrated. But I tried other places and finally found it. YouTube vids were really helpful. Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Once you know where to look, it becomes much easier. I can always find the hb about 3 inches below my belly button and a little to the right. 
  • 12 weeks 1 days here with an anterior placenta even, just means I need to find the baby's heartbeat from the sides of my uterus and not the top/front. 

Chugging away at 165-171bpm every time. :)
    Alyssa (30) & DH (36)
    DD (12), DS (8). 
    Baby Boy EDD 4/6/17. 
  • How often do you listen to baby? I'm 13 w 2d and I usually bring out the Doppler every 2-3 days for reassurement or to show family. I'm pretty good at it now. Can usually find the heartbeat in less than 5 minutes.
  • @Dax28 I just got mine but I'm planning to listen once a week, personally. 
  • I don't even try until around 10-11 weeks and will a full bladder. Checked yesterday at 12 weeks and found baby pretty easily with a sonoline B.
  • I have been using my doppler every couple of days, just to help with my anxiety, and it has been pretty easy to find the heartbeat every time. But then today it took me almost 20 minutes to find it. I was in full-on panic mode since it usually takes me only a couple of minutes to find, never longer than 5. I am at 13 weeks, and I thought over time it would get EASIER not harder! It almost seems like the baby is moving more now or something, because even when I found it today, it kept moving away, which has not happened before. I was hoping the doppler could be something that would instantly reassure me every time I used it, but I guess I need to be prepared that I might not always find it, even if everything is perfectly fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have read many mixed reviews online about at home dopplers...has anyone asked their doctor about the safety of using them or how frequently to use them?

I got a Doppler from my sil and have used it twice and found the HB within minutes both times. That sweet sound is something I would love to hear as much as possible, but I don't want to over-do it.

BabyFruit Ticker

• @kitkat8387 at this stage the baby does move around a bit, I find that it helps to have a full bladder.  If I don't have a full bladder, it's much harder to find!
    EDD 4/15/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • elgie said:

I have read many mixed reviews online about at home dopplers...has anyone asked their doctor about the safety of using them or how frequently to use them?

I echo this question. I only ask because I want one but DH found mixed recommendations on several medical sites so he won't agree just yet.
  • That's why I'm personally using mine once a week. Because I don't know. But I also know doctors don't want you to have them mostly because they're afraid you might use it instead of common sense or trusting your doctor just because you can find the heartbeat. But again, mixed reviews so I plan to be careful. But I also know mamas who used them every day and their babies are fine. So who knows? 
  • GAHhhh! In panicking. I spent 20 minutes last night and couldn't find the hb. I thought I had it for a second but I guess not. Another 20 minutes this morning still nothing. I can always find it. I just don't know where else to try. I know at 13 weeks it's still pretty low. Ack!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Mama5181 this is exactly what happened to me the other night. I was panicking but tried again the next day and was able to find it - but only for a second, as baby kept moving away from it. It seems like right around this time is when they start moving around more, making it harder to find. Even now, I can't find it as easily/for as long as I did in week 12. So don't panic! I actually considered getting rid of mine after my full on panic attack the other night...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I ordered my Soline B yesterday and it will be here tomorrow! Looking forward to it! I figure I should be able to find a heartbeat at 12+4
  • Now that I am 13 weeks, I find the baby's heartbeat consistently just a smidge to the right of my belly button, also where I feel the flutters most often. Baby was moving around this morning, clearly trying to get away... haha and its movements were making all sorts of thud sounds in the monitor.

Doctor said the home doppler is perfectly safe and did not express any concerns. I told her I use it every 3-5 days or so. 
    Alyssa (30) & DH (36)
    DD (12), DS (8). 
    Baby Boy EDD 4/6/17. 
  • @LyssaChap thank you for asking your doc! I was afraid to ask mine but I'm glad to know someone's doctor isn't concerned. :) 

at 11+4 I checked it again and for me, baby is usually just a half inch to the left and two inches or so below belly button. Though I think baby must have been doing somersaults because I kept losing and finding the hb without moving the wand. Haha. 
  • @HGRich Yep! I had similar concerns, and yes, the doctor spent over 5 minutes trying to find the baby's heartbeat at 10 weeks.... and I told her I had found it at home on my own doppler and so she sent me over to ultrasound just to "cheat" and get the heartbeat.... Baby was ALL OVER THE PLACE.... moving all over, flipping around, at one point turned about 180 degrees.... and the ultrasound tech said "Ok, its clear why we couldn't get the baby on the monitor.. Baby was doing somersaults!"

Alyssa (30) & DH (36)
    DD (12), DS (8). 
    Baby Boy EDD 4/6/17.