November 2016 Moms
Options

Hospital Bag - What Do I Really Need?

I could probably search for this on other boards but where's the fun in that?! I want to hear what my STM November 2016 ladies recommend we pack in our hospital bag. 

Yes, I'm going to start packing mine at 31 weeks. Don't you judge me.

Re: Hospital Bag - What Do I Really Need?

• Options
    Hell I'm just gonna send my husband to go get whatever I need when I realize what I need lol...I'm mostly thinking clean underwear and a phone charger. :)
  • Options
    I have chargers, going home outfits for E and myself, tops+bras for 3-4 days(I don't like pictures in the hospital gowns), toiletries, and nursing pads with nipple cream.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cozy clothes for you, a robe, slippers/flip flops, phone chargers, music (if that's your thing), camera, going home outfit for babe, your shower supplies, whatever make up supplies you want, pillow, Boppy, Chapstick and chocolate - you'll for sure need chocolate!

On a whim I threw in a box of Lactation tea for me and some other kind for hubby and We both found it surprisingly nice to sip on, and filling up our hot water cups was a good excuse to do some laps and stretch our legs. 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Toiletries and going home outfit for you, going home outfit for baby... Honestly that's probably all you really need.
  • Options
    A hair-tie! My first came early and I hadn't packed a bag. All I wanted was something to pull back my hair for labor and for the days following that I was in the hospital where people came to visit and I wasn't looking my best. I didn't have a change of clothes either and when I sent my husband to get a shirt, he came back with one that was pre-maternity. So careful ladies who say they will just send their husbands home to get items, because you never know what he will bring back. As for snacks, I was told not to eat. I have no idea why. When my first was minutes from being born the nurse sent my husband to get some food for after. And man, that subway sandwich never tasted so good. 
         Good luck packing those bags. 
  • Options
    @camcbeth I have to agree wirh you on sending DH for clothes!! In August I had my appendix out and DH packed my bag and brought it in for me. I went to get dressed to go home.. I had tight jean shorts and a super tight white tshirt. Keep in mind with my incision I could not wear a bra. He probably enjoyed it but I felt like a huge pregnant floozy! 
  • Options
    I heard some hospitals only have j&j toiletries that lots of babies don't tolerate well. So might be nice to pack your own organic or whatever sensitive skin products for baby's first wash at the hospital. 
  • Options
    The items I brought and used were: pillow (with bright pillowcase that made it obvious it wasn't the hospitals pillow), boppy, toiletries - I just picked up a travel bag that had shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc... Already in it for $4 at Walmart, baby clothes if your hospital does a Newborn shoot, camera, phone charger, comfy clothes and going home outfit. 
  • Options
    Going home outfit for me (probably yoga pants, a nursing tank, breast pads, and a v-neck shirt I can nurse in)
    Going home outfit for baby
    Robe for me
    Toilettries
    Camera, laptop, cell phone, chargers
    Chapstick
    Water bottle
    Pillow with bright case and bath towel are nice to have
  • Options
    Don't forget a pretty blanket (even if it's just white muslin) for the professional photos if your hospital does those. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Comfortable clothes for yourself to wear while you're there. Some people prefer to just wear the hospital gown, as for me I literally could not wait to get out of that thing. Your own pillow, camera, phone and charger, toiletries, I second the person who said an elastic. The last thing I wanted was my hair in my face during labor. Some snacks if you want to munch on between cafeteria hours. As for baby they do usually provide a kimono type shirt but i brought clothes for ds because they are just cuter. They gave us a binky but he never liked the type they gave at the hospital so if you are using one then maybe bring whichever type you plan on using at home. We brought mittens for his hands and make sure to pack extra socks if lo won't be wearing footie pjs because our ds peed on his and we didn't have an extra pair and wish we had. You don't need a ton for baby. They provide diapers and wipes and most of the stuff you need while your there. Some prefer to bring a boppy for nursing but I found that the hospital pillow work fine.
  • Options
    They will give you disposable underwear.

For my second, I brought a pacifier and a velcro swaddler because I could never get my first baby swaddled in the hospital blanket.

Phone

Phone Charger
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    Couple notes for Kaiser people.  I was told recently that they don't provide baby wipes, just soft paper towels that you can wet.  Also they apparently only have mesh undies and regular pads, so if you want something more substantial, pack it!
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• Options
    With my second I packed a labour bag (with some things I thought could be useful just in labour - massage ball, massage oil, a book on labour, a hair elastic or two, etc.), my diaper bag for the baby, and a carry on size bag for me.   Everybody else has pretty much covered off everything in them.   I'll probably also pack a similar way this time.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Options
    I agree with lots of what was already said.  I especially liked having my own pillow(H did as well), and hand soap/lotion.  That hospital soap really dries out your hands and I hate the smell.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    I'm sure I will think of more things to add...
    -robe
    -slip on shoes
    - lemon drop candy
    - playing cards
    -my tablet,  to watch Netflix
    - cell chargers
    -makeup bag, straightener,  hair ties, Bobby pins
    -camera
    - clean clothes to wear home

For baby
    - going home outfit
    - swaddlex2 because I hate regular swaddling

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I've seen swaddles on a couple of these lists - I have a few velcro ones we plan to try. Should I go ahead and bring those to the hospital? I just assumed the nurses would do their swaddle blanket magic while in the hospital and then I'd use the ones I bought at home cuz I'm not trying that blanket stuff 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I've seen swaddles on a couple of these lists - I have a few velcro ones we plan to try. Should I go ahead and bring those to the hospital? I just assumed the nurses would do their swaddle blanket magic while in the hospital and then I'd use the ones I bought at home cuz I'm not trying that blanket stuff 
    I am having my third.  I am definitely brining the velcro swaddler because with my first one, I was up in the middle of the night changing diapers and could not get the blanket swaddle back on and I was so tired and crying and the nurse was too busy to come help me swaddle my baby with the blanket.
    My TTC History:
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    RE: swaddles. We did a lot of skin to skin when I was in the hospital and the swaddle gets in the way of that. I didn't worry to much about swaddling until we got home. In the hospital we just wrapped her in the blanket when necessary. Just practice the blanket swaddle for a while at home on a doll or something. We really only used the Velcro swaddles when DD got strong enough to break out of the blanket ones.
  • Options
    RE: swaddles. We did a lot of skin to skin when I was in the hospital and the swaddle gets in the way of that. I didn't worry to much about swaddling until we got home. In the hospital we just wrapped her in the blanket when necessary. Just practice the blanket swaddle for a while at home on a doll or something. We really only used the Velcro swaddles when DD got strong enough to break out of the blanket ones.
    My son cried all night at a the hospital until he was swaddled and my DH wasn't there to help me, so I say better safe than sorry!
    My TTC History:

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    DD hate to be swaddled, she has always slept spread eagle and sprawled out from the day she was born. I have pictures of her in the NICU with her arms and legs out in every direction. I swear its from being breech until just before she was born. 

As for the hospital bag: comfy but cute clothes, make-up, a hair brush, tooth brush/paste, deoderant, tucks pads, phone charger, nursing bra, nursing pads. A book maybe. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Options
    Speaking of hospital bags, when are you ladies getting yours ready?
  • Options
    I think i may later this week or next. I am 34 weeks. 
  • Options
    Britt428 said:
    I'm only 31 weeks but between losing my mucus plug a few weeks ago (it apparently grows back) and the fact that I was born at 36 weeks, my bag is packed.
  • Options
    Britt428 said:
    I'm not sure, I feel like anything I'd want in there I still want to be using nowadays other than a baby outfit (which we dont have yet). We live less than 10 min from the hospital so I figure if something happens super early H can just go grab some stuff
  • Options
    I usually pack the bulk of mine when I am sure I'm actually in labor.  I'll start it the first time I am contracting and am unsure if it's labor or not.  In my experience, there's a lot of time spent walking around, not doing much except timing contractions, so I like having something to do.  Most of the stuff is stuff I use on a regular basis, so there's no reason to pack it early.  I'll probably get a just in case suitcase packed for my girls by 39 weeks at the latest(unless the maybe contractions start earlier), just because I get more nervous about them.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    MollySm said:
    I usually pack the bulk of mine when I am sure I'm actually in labor.  I'll start it the first time I am contracting and am unsure if it's labor or not.  In my experience, there's a lot of time spent walking around, not doing much except timing contractions, so I like having something to do.  Most of the stuff is stuff I use on a regular basis, so there's no reason to pack it early.  I'll probably get a just in case suitcase packed for my girls by 39 weeks at the latest(unless the maybe contractions start earlier), just because I get more nervous about them.  
    Yes. My first baby I didn't pack my bag until my water broke. 
  • Options
    I've already started packing I will have it all completed within the next 2-3weeks before I'm 36weeks. 
  • Options
    33 weeks and my bag and my kids bag is packed. I thought with my first I'd pack when I started into labor but you are thinking of so many things that I didn't bring even 1/2 of what I wanted. I was even working when my water broke so to race home, wake my husband who worked night shifts, while contacting the doctor to figure out next steps was all a blur. I went into labor early at 36 1/2 weeks. We didn't even have a car seat. 
  • Options
    I'm not quite 30weeks, but my bag is packed. I have had 4 trips to L&D for PTL though.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    I am 32 weeks now, I think I will not pack so early but will do the list and make sure everything I want to pack is clean and both DH and I know where they are. Then I can just quickly pack everything if there is emergency.
  • Options

I'll be packing mine next week (33 weeks) just for peace of mind.  While there aren't a ton of items going in I'd rather just get it out of the way since most of it is specific to labor/post-labor so I won't need it from now till then.  With the last minute stuff I simply place a post it on the bag and pack those once I'm in labor or if my DH has to run home to get it (as has happened with a few people I know) it will all be done and the list will make it easy for him.  Guys tend to bring you the wrong stuff no matter how specific you are lol.  I also have to pack my DD's bag up too as she'll be staying with her Grandparents.

• Options
    I had the thought the other day to pack my breast pump flanges. Although I won't be pumping in the hospital, a lot of times the flanges that come with your breast pump aren't necessarily the right size and it can make pumping uncomfortable. I didn't have anyone I felt comfortable asking about fit once I was home from the hospital with ds, so this time I'm going to bring them with me and ask the lactation consultant in the hospital. Idk if anyone else has said this yet but thought it might be helpful! 
  • Options
    I just read about a really good idea. This article said to bring an empty duffle bag for all the stuff people might bring you while you're there. 
  • Options
    jennihaze said:
    I just read about a really good idea. This article said to bring an empty duffle bag for all the stuff people might bring you while you're there. 
    Yes you might get some stuff from visitors, but also everything from the hospital that's not linen will be tossed out. With our first, the nurse told me to take everything except the linens (Peri bottle, extra underwear, the witch hazel wipes, the diapers and wipes, water bottle they gave me, extra formula (if you choose that option) and the hospital kitchen gifted us a dinner to take home). There was a ton coming home that we hadn't brought with us that we had to carry out. An extra plastic bag works, it doesn't have to be a duffel bag.
  • Options
    camcbeth said:
    jennihaze said:
    Yes you might get some stuff from visitors, but also everything from the hospital that's not linen will be tossed out. With our first, the nurse told me to take everything except the linens (Peri bottle, extra underwear, the witch hazel wipes, the diapers and wipes, water bottle they gave me, extra formula (if you choose that option) and the hospital kitchen gifted us a dinner to take home). There was a ton coming home that we hadn't brought with us that we had to carry out. An extra plastic bag works, it doesn't have to be a duffel bag.
    They have these amazing cold maxi pads at the hospital.  They are maxi pads, but with cold paks inside.  You bend the pad to activate the cold pack and then wear it like a normal pad.  I would fill up my duffel bag and then every time the nurse shift change happened, I would ask for more of them.
    My TTC History:

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    I love free stuff at hospitals!! I was running low on diabetes strips and I gladly accepted all the supplies the nurse offered me for free 
  • Options
    My own pillow! Ear plugs and mask so I can sleep when baby is in the nursery. Warm robe (hospitals are cold) and a nursing nightgown. I swear everyone and their mother came in when I was trying to breastfeed DD so having a nursing gown was nice. Toiletries, hair bands, charger and go home outfit for baby. I like the mesh underwear and pads the hospital provided and they had all of the crotch care stuff so I didn't need Tucks until I got home. Bring a extra bag to take home all of the stuff the hospital gives you. Comfy go home outfit for me. Another thing I'll do this time is have DH bring the stroller and car seat into the room when we're ready to leave instead of trying to carry everything as I'm waddling out!
  • Options
    We also had pizza delivered right to the room I still hadn't moved out of bed and I was callling the pizza place! I've never been so hungry in my life so for sure know where you're getting food from before labor gets intense and have DH on top of it.