April 2017 Moms

Weekly Pregnancy Chatter 9/26

This is the weekend chatter thread to... you know... talk about pregnancy and stuff. Wondering what everybody's opinion on doctors vs midwifes vs doulas? Find a good cure for something that's been ailing you?  Just had one of those "holy smokes I'm GROWING a HUMAN like it's a potted plant or something, but INSIDE MY BODY" moments?  Have a rando ask when the baby is due and you're like, "Wait, I'm not even showing yet, not sure if I should be polite or rude at this point"?   Whatever comments or stories or questions or etcetera you got that don't quite fit into the other organizational threads, this is probably the spot.

BabyFruit Ticker
Me: 28 & Partner: 32 | Married 2014
BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11

Re: Weekly Pregnancy Chatter 9/26

• Does anyone have a healthyish combination of cheese and carbs? Because that's the only thing that I can eat. Last pregnancy I only some mild aversions...
    DS born 9/13/2012
    BFP#5: 8/21/2016
  • @ArchyFlores I'm in the same boat. Carbs and cheese are my jam. I've been eating naan and hummus. Also baked potatoes with cheese and butter which is not exactly on the healthy side but does fill me up for awhile. Also been eating yogurt and cottage cheese, whole wheat bagels and apple butter or jelly. 
  • Loading the player...
  • This has been my jam during my "You know what's terrible?  Basically anything healthy," phase.  At least it has a mostly vegetable base?

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-casserole-recipe.html
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11
  • So we know a lot of haunted houses, haunted hayrides, haunted trails, haunted whatever, are coming up.  Are they safe during early pregnancy?  I'll be 15-17 weeks when we were thinking about going.  I'm going to the doctor on Thurs, just wanted to get some opinions here. 

****Trigger mentioned****
    Us:  37, 38, unexplained IF
    TTC for the second time
    Married 10/21/12 to my wonderful wife
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science
    since 2/2014

7 IUIs, 1 cancelled due to too many follicles, 6 BFNs.
    IVF #1 & 2 Failed
    IVF #3 20 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized with ICSI, 6 made it to day 5
                 2 blasts transferred 7/17
    Beta #1 7/26 ***BFP*** 144
    Beta #2 7/28 271
    Beta #3 8/4 1972
    8/15 - Officially pregnant with TWINS
    9/1 - Baby B no longer has a heartbeat, Baby A is holding on!
    9/29 - MMC
    Genetic testing revealed Trisomy 15
    Next cycle will be FET without PGS testing. 
    3/27 - FET transferred 2 "excellent" blasts 
    Beta #1 4/5 ***BFP*** 107 (9dp5dt)
    Beta #2 4/7  244  (11dp5dt)
    Beta #3 4/14  2038   (18dp5dt)
    4/25 - Confirmed pregnancy. Baby measured 1 day behind, FHR 132
    5/9 - 2nd U/S - Baby measured one day ahead, FHR 178
    12/21 - Baby Boy born
    12/10 - FET transfered 1 3BB blast
    Beta #1 12/19 - 88
    Beta #2 12/21 - 230
    Beta #3 12/18 - 3066
  • @holzie I can't begin to imagine why not.  Is there some part of them in particular you're worried about? 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • cafedisco, just the stress of being frightened, not knowing what's around the corner.  Under normal circumstances I LOVE this stuff, but I'm super paranoid about something going wrong. 
    ****Trigger mentioned****
    Us:  37, 38, unexplained IF
    TTC for the second time
    Married 10/21/12 to my wonderful wife
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science
    since 2/2014

7 IUIs, 1 cancelled due to too many follicles, 6 BFNs.
    IVF #1 & 2 Failed
    IVF #3 20 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized with ICSI, 6 made it to day 5
                 2 blasts transferred 7/17
    Beta #1 7/26 ***BFP*** 144
    Beta #2 7/28 271
    Beta #3 8/4 1972
    8/15 - Officially pregnant with TWINS
    9/1 - Baby B no longer has a heartbeat, Baby A is holding on!
    9/29 - MMC
    Genetic testing revealed Trisomy 15
    Next cycle will be FET without PGS testing. 
    3/27 - FET transferred 2 "excellent" blasts 
    Beta #1 4/5 ***BFP*** 107 (9dp5dt)
    Beta #2 4/7  244  (11dp5dt)
    Beta #3 4/14  2038   (18dp5dt)
    4/25 - Confirmed pregnancy. Baby measured 1 day behind, FHR 132
    5/9 - 2nd U/S - Baby measured one day ahead, FHR 178
    12/21 - Baby Boy born
    12/10 - FET transfered 1 3BB blast
    Beta #1 12/19 - 88
    Beta #2 12/21 - 230
    Beta #3 12/18 - 3066
  • @holzie I think the excitement would be fun and not harmful. Hayride may be uncomfortable if it is a super bumpy road. By the time you are in your 2T you should be able to feel the baby during the day and it might make you less worried. I started feeling my daughter around 15 weeks so, it helped me feel a little safer when I became worried. 

Maybe start slow and don't do the all out scary people chasing you kind of haunted attraction. I'm definitely looking forward to a hayride.
  • Also, just to mention fall stuff, homemade ciders are not required to go through pasteurization. We have some excellent local ciders and I steam them at home first. I actually like hot cider better. 
  • @Holzie Agree on the suggestion to skip the "zombies chase you through the woods" type attractions, but a haunted hayride or something like that should be fun. I don't think I've ever heard of fear causing anything bad for a baby in the womb, but I agree to definitely ask your doctor to ease your mind.

I'm too much of a chicken to do any of that nonsense, pregnant or not, so more power to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I understand your caution @Holzie but I think you are just fine!  I would say the only thing to worry about is if for some reason your heart rate stays elevated for a long time and then you just need to rest! If it makes you feel any better, I had a feel on panic attack in the second tri and baby was totally fine!
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • @Holzie I would only be concerned about potential trip hazards or similar issues where you could get hurt. Enjoy with caution!

On another note, my screening for chromosomal abnormalities is tomorrow. I have been so anxious about it and I feel like the wait after will be so long. How long have you ladies that have done the blood test had to wait?
  • @Holzie I looovvveeeee those attractions. We have three in our city and I go every year (the past few years haven't been as fun though) and I loved loved loved Universal Studios Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights when we went last year. 

I am skipping this year though mainly due to my high-ish blood pressure. When I get stressed my blood pressure and heart rate goes through the roof. My midwife isn't concerned but I don't like it being on the high side and I'm trying to keep it in check. 

Have fun if you do go though!!! I will live vicariously through you! 
  • @herewegrow I'm in the same boat but I have to wait till Friday. I wasn't this nervous about it with my last pregnancy, I don't know why I'm so worried this time around. Maybe everyone going on and on about my AMA is starting to get to me. 36 is not old! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @herewegrow I got mine within 4 business days, but they said it can take up to 7. Are you having the ultrasound too? For me, seeing that the ultrasound measurements were in the normal range made me worry way less for the blood test, but obviously they take both into account when coming up with your risk, along with other factors. 

On another note, does anyone else feel like their ribcage is growing? My boobs don't seem to have grown at all, but the band on my bra feels so tight. I am going to pick up some bra extenders today, so it's an easy fix, but just a weird symptom I didn't expect. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kitkat8387 this happened to me in my last pregnancy. My boobs did not grow, but the band size got bigger.
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • I always loved everything scary. Since DD I can't handle it anymore :(

I have a workout or really more of a "movement" question LOL I used to be sooo fit with DD. Yoga every day, walking miles every day, hiking etc etc.

Now I seriously can't walk up a flight of stairs without being completely dead. I mean my heart starts pounding so hard and I get totally nauseous. I still walk about 5 block from my bus to work and about 3 block on the way back home. Not very much at all but at least something. I'm a bit shocked though that I just can't move for shit anymore. What gives? I hope it improves later on. I'm feeling much better but I'm a bit concerned about my overall fitness and even labor prep if I can't move my butt..

suggestions?

• TheJerilu said:
    This has been my jam during my "You know what's terrible?  Basically anything healthy," phase.  At least it has a mostly vegetable base?

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-casserole-recipe.html
    You are so brave! I too decided to go for a potato substitute and tried making cauliflower "mashed potatoes" a few weeks back thinking it would be a healthier substitute for my mashed potato craving (thanks to a post on here). After mashing the cauliflower up, I had to have my husband remove it from the house because the smell was just too much for me. Although, this recipe does sound yummy. Maybe if I have my husband do the dirty work, by the time the cauliflower is doused in cheese, I won't notice the smell ;) 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• On another note, does anyone else feel like their ribcage is growing? My boobs don't seem to have grown at all, but the band on my bra feels so tight. I am going to pick up some bra extenders today, so it's an easy fix, but just a weird symptom I didn't expect. 
    Yes! I just ordered more bra extenders on Amazon this morning, because I can't find the ones I had from my first pregnancy. I'm actually sitting at my desk with my bra totally undone in the back right now, but fortunately, my dress is tight enough that it holds everything in place nicely  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MrsBakes
    1st trimester fatigue is apparently really common.  I've been wiped out myself.  It's supposed to be due to your body producing a ton more blood, plus the changes in hormone levels (especially as your body shifts to using the placenta for hormones).  The good news is that it's supposed to let up as you get further into the pregnancy (you're 13 weeks now, so hopefully soon for you).

Even if you didn't experience this with your first child, every pregnancy can be different because bodies suck.

I would suggest bringing it up with your doctor/midwife, and they'll probably say a similar thing.  Possibly test for PE just to be on the safe side.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11
  • @MrsBakes I've been experiencing this and shortness of breath too, particularly after climbing stairs or talking a lot ;) . (Interestingly, I can do light cardio with heart rate = 135ish and not feel short of breath at all... what gives?!?)

I don't have any suggestions except to give yourself a little grace.  It's not necessarily an indicator of decreasing fitness, just a change in hormones/increasing demands on your respiratory system/impact of some organs beginning to push a little upwards. (At least that's what Dr. Google tells me - ha!)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @ TheJerilu  

Thanks!! My blood pressure is always perfect so I guess that's good lol

Yes, bodies do suck. I was talking to a coworker and she just said "We'll you are older now so you won't be able to handle it as well as first time" Ah yah, thanks that makes me feel better lol

I hope it passes, I feel like a useless slob

• @schef070911 

If Dr. Google says it, it must be true LOL

Yeah it does make sense. I don't know why I'm overthinking everything this time. This AMA thing is somehow messing with my head I think.

I was thinking of maybe getting an elliptical and doing some light cardio at home. That may help...

• @wpatx
    If the raw cauliflower smell doesn't bother you, I will say that they're only cooked and un-cheesed momentarily if you make the cheese sauce while they're boiling.  And the cheese definitely overpowers any of the bitter taste you may have.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11
  • @mrsbakes I agree with what a few other ladies have said. I can work out and run and not be as out of breath as I am after climbing a flight of stairs or even having a lengthy conversation. The same thing happened to me in my last pregnancy. I would imagine that if you are staying as active as you can (walking to the bus, etc) you should be fine.
  • @MrsBakes I'm 100% with you.  I worked out constantly with #1 but now I'm beat and laid out on the couch every day.  I'm not quite as fit going into this pregnancy so I think that's a factor for me.

Hopefully we feel better soon!  There's still time to get in shape for labor!
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • @MrsBakes climbing the stairs is a totally different kind of "fit", last year when training for a marathon I could run 10-15 miles without being as out of breath as I was after climbing a flight of stair at work! It is insane!

And, I am with you...ever since finding out I was pregnant (a few days before actually) I have struggled. I was in great shape before getting pregnant, but now my heart rate rises quickly and I am out of breath from the simplest of exercises. I've been trying to cut myself some slack and I walk more than run and I just do whatever I can.

BabyFruit Ticker

• @elgie 

Yeah, what is it with stairs anyway? I can walk without any problems so maybe it's not as bad as I think... But I would still like to walk more. Sitting on the couch is just so much more appealing LOL

• Ugh, I am developing a head cold and I'm trying to decide if I should go home at lunch or try to muscle through (it's a pretty slow day).  Trying to bank leave time is the worst!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @schef070911 that is me right now. It has taken an act of God to get me out of bed the past two months. I have called out of work 1 time and felt guilty for it.
  • @MrsBakes @elgie stairs are no joke. I lug my 9month old up and down them all day. I worked at UPS through college and it was the equivalent of 9 stories to get to my office... It was my daily exercise hahah
  • I agree on the whole stairs thing right now - ugh!! We live in a two story house (that we just bought in May) and I tell my husband multiple times a week that our stairs in pregnancy are going to be the death of me. I feel like I just ran 5 miles by the time I walk up the 10-12 steps. Plus when my 2.5 year old wants to be carried....ahh, even worse!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MrsBakes @elgie stairs are no joke. I lug my 9month old up and down them all day. I worked at UPS through college and it was the equivalent of 9 stories to get to my office... It was my daily exercise hahah
  • @schef070911 that was me yesterday. I don't want to lose my time, but I felt so bad. I laid my head down on my desk for a while, and I eventually perked up enough to make it through the day. Head colds without good meds suck. 
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I am SO sick! Pounding headache, throbbing sinuses, nausea, insomnia, whole body aches...does anyone have any recommendations to relieve the sinus pain?? My head literally feels like exploding 
  • @Ekzerr for sinus pain I go with regular strength Tylenol to reduce swelling, warm facial compresses, and saline spray or a Neti Pot (just make sure everything is sterile). 

On another note, I had my 9th graders arguing over whether or not I was pregnant. I haven't told them yet, and wasn't planning on saying anything until after my next appointment. Guess they will need to keep guessing...

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD: 6/20/11
    DS: 2/23/13
    EDD: 4/15/17 

• I have a field trip this week to a pumpkin patch/petting zoo.  Do I need to be concerned at all about being around farm animals?

• @aboxofchocolates I don't think so. I would just encourage you to wash your hands afterwards (but that would really go for anyone)
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • @aboxofchocolates I would avoid actually petting and feeding the animals.. I've been to a few farms with my daughter in the last few weeks and I've just not touched any animals and washed our hands good when leaving.
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Thanks for the advice!  It is so odd these other things you have to think about now that you never did before.