1st Trimester

Pregnant after hernia repair?

numommeeenumommeee member
edited September 2016 in 1st Trimester
Has anyone NOT had trouble with pregnancy after a hernia repair? I never planned to have more babies so I elected to have it repaired. It was very minor and didn't need mesh. 

Anyone with a similar situation get thru it okay?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Pregnant after hernia repair?

• Oh, I forgot to mention my concerns!

First, I'm wondering about pain as my belly grows. I still have some soreness around the scar to begin with. And second, I am concerned about the hernia needing repaired again. I CANNOT do that again. It was an awful experience and I feel worse after the repair than before. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have no experience but I would discuss with your doctor the likelyhood of it separating again. They recommend 12 months between most abdominal surgeries and getting pregnant so I would assume 9 months for a minor repair would be at least close to adequate.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an umbicak hernia repaired summer of 2014. My dr said wait at least one year or it would likely reopen. How long has it been since your repair? The part that concerns me about your post is that you still have pain, that isn't the case for me at all. 

I I hear you on not wanting it repaired again. I will have the surgery again eventually if mine reopens with this pregnancy, but recovery was ROUGH.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.