October 2016 Moms

Sunny side up babies

I had my ultrasound to check baby size and everything is all good, except baby is face up. Not the end of the world I know, but it is almost a gaurantee for a longer and harder labor. 

Anyone know anything to try and get them to move? I will ask my doctor on Wednesday.

Will they move on their own or no?

Do they just wait until labor to rotate?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sunny side up babies

• I don't know for sure, so this may be incorrect, but I believe babies roll around quite a bit still around the vertical axis. I know mine usually has his back forward and slightly to the side, but occasionally I get kneed and kicked right in the belly button, so clearly he's rolling around. 
    Also, I believe a textbook labor involves the baby doing a 90-degree roll during labor to get through the pelvis, which makes it logical to assume they're free to roll up until curtain call ;)
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • That's true I didn't think of it that way. Baby has been in the exact same spot now for a month so aparently it's comfy this way. I'm surprised to have 0 back pain or much discomfort at all, it seems to say everywhere that you normally would. And he is well engaged into my pelvis so he is not freely floating by any means! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Try spinningbabies.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've looked at spinning babies and there was not a whole lot on there in terms of actual exercises. Their website confuses me like crazy, all I have is my phone so maybe the real page is better but on my phone it doesn't go in a very nice layout.
  • kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited September 2016
    I think curb walking, moving your hips in a circle while on a yoga/birth ball, and "crazy captain Morgan" (stand with one foot on a chair and then move hips in a circle) are all supposed to help baby turn. If all fails, just know you can deliver that baby sunny side up! Yes, it hurts and takes longer, but it's doable.
  • @schell2013 I will say that even on a computer, the spinning babies website is not well designed. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • If baby *stays* face up then it is challenging, however your baby's current position is definitely NOT a guarantee that it will stay that way. Most babies do end up getting into face down position during labor. Cat/cow poses are a good use of time. DS was also sunny side up until transition, and he rotated into position a couple hours before I started to push. Try not to stress just yet. 
  • CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited September 2016
    Our childbirth class instructor told us if baby is face up when you come in to deliver, they will have you flipping and flopping in the bed and doing all kinds of exercises to get baby to flip. She said 90% of the time, it works like a charm, so don't stress too much! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our childbirth class instructor told us if baby is face up when you come in to deliver, they will have you flipping and flopping in the bed and doing all kinds of exercises to get baby to flip. She said 90% of the time, it works like a charm, so don't stress to much! 
    THIS. My doula said that if you are having mainly back labor then that means baby is sunny side up and that moving a lot will turn baby around.
  • Thanks ladies! I mean I had a breech baby last time so I'm thankful for a head down baby this time. Sunny side up isn't the end of the world, but I've never had a natural baby so I'm really hoping it goes smoothly this time for me.
  • My son was born sunny-side up and I will say the labor was very long and caused ALOT of back pain. He did get stuck on the public bone but with some assistance from the nurse pushing up on my pelvic bone they were able to maneuver him under it.
  • kmolleltz said:
    @schell2013 I will say that even on a computer, the spinning babies website is not well designed. 
    Totally agree. I looked at it a lot with DS1 and it was very confusing.
  • I was on there like everyday when my first was breech, but I had a tough time figuring it out.
  • That spinning babies website is very poorly done. (At least the mobile version is.) 
    My baby isn't sunny side up, but his head is posterior, which is confusing as heck to me. My OB says it means a much longer, harder labor unless he turns during or before. He said it should be easier because it's my 2nd, so I'm hoping that's a true statement. Good luck to all the rest of you...may our babies move into perfect position and stay put!  ;)
  • I'm sorry. I used spinning babies with my last and didn't realize it was so difficult to follow. Good luck to you!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker