January 2016 Moms

Baby gates

I am almost exclusively a lurker on this board, but I was hoping someone might be able to share their experience. My little guy was born January 19th. 

We set up a baby gate for him in our open concept great room in the living room cut out, so he has essentially a small bedroom for his play area. He just crawls to the door and cries for us. My question is, will he ever get used to it? Or is this a losing proposition? 

Here's a picture of the face he is currently making...

Re: Baby gates

• Aww, poor guy.  Is he happy in there if someone is with him?  Maybe he just gets lonely.
    Mine like to use the baby gates to pull himself up and shake them like he's trying to break out of baby jail.
  • nackie said:
    Aww, poor guy.  Is he happy in there if someone is with him?  Maybe he just gets lonely.
    Mine like to use the baby gates to pull himself up and shake them like he's trying to break out of baby jail.

Did your LO ever get used to them, or just treat them like an obstacle forever? 

He did calm down some when I sat in there with him, so I think it might be a lonely thing. I would love for it to be a happy place though! 
  • Loading the player...
  • nackienackie member
    edited September 2016
    He's still treating them like an obstacle, but standing is still pretty new for him.  I try to keep lots of new and interesting toys to distract him from the gates.  We just got one of those standing table things and that'll usually keep him occupied for a few minutes
  • nackie said:
    He's still treating them like an obstacle, but standing is still pretty new for him.  I try to keep lots of new and interesting toys to distract him from the gates.  We just got one of those standing table things and that'll usually keep him occupied for a few minutes
    Thank you for sharing!

I think we will try that if he doesn't settle down in a few days. 
  • Unrelated note: we have the same baby gate! ...Do you find it pretty tough to close?
  • l4rk said:
    Unrelated note: we have the same baby gate! ...Do you find it pretty tough to close?
    It is a pain to get spot on every time, that's for sure. 
  • l4rk said:
    Unrelated note: we have the same baby gate! ...Do you find it pretty tough to close?
    It is a pain to get spot on every time, that's for sure. 
    Haha, okay, wasn't sure if it was just us. I was worried we installed it wrong. Thank you!
  • We have a baby jail and it took a little while for LO to get used to it. I had to sit in there with him for a week or so before I could leave him alone in it for any amount of time. After a couple months though, I can leave him in there for at least an hour first thing in the morning while I get breakfast and get some morning chores done. He will, however, start making that exact same face you showed when he is ready to come out and crawl around. I think it's not so much a lonely thing as an "I'm mobile now and this area is just too small for me to crawl around in happily!" I generally use it for short spurts when I'm switching laundry or doing dishes. Good luck!
  • My LO is Jan 19 also :smile: We don't have quite the same set up as you, but have blocked off our living room to a point and I sometimes leave him in the pack n play if I'm trying to get things done in multiple rooms. I've found distraction with toys that make sound has helped alot! I turn one on before I walk away and that helps him play happily rather than cry for me *sometimes*. It depends very much on his mood also, some days he is very clingy and others he will happily play on his own so yours may have similar phases also. Good luck! 
  • We don't have an area gated off for LO but do have a gate blocking his entry to the kitchen. I couldn't imagine gating him in a small area for playtime....I like him to be around us in the living room :smile:
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • We bought one of those baby play pens and used it as a playpen for a few days in the middle of the living room. He didn't like being caged in so we used the playpen in sections to block of tables and areas he didn't need to be in. We also got really good at remembering to clothes bathroom and bedroom doors. If I absolutely need to keep him contained I put him in his walker (when I'm trying to get ready in the morning).
  • SBH041815SBH041815 member
    edited October 2016
     We only gate doorways to stairs and such. But with my previous baby I got one of those baby playpens and put it around my Christmas tree. Doesn't look perfect but it worked like a charm for keeping baby away from all the ornaments and tantalizing tree parts.  I plan on doing it again with this baby.