April 2017 Moms

GBS Positive in First Tri?

So I just found out yesterday that I'm GBS positive.  I was in urgent care for a high fever a few weeks ago and they tested me for a UTI, which I didn't have.  I got a letter in the mail to call about lab results and found out they had also tested for GBS.

I can find a lot of info about it if you test positive in third tri, but not much now.  Anyone have experience with this?

My first appointment is Thursday so I'll talk it over with my midwives obviously but I'm pretty upset right now.  We were planning another homebirth and this seems to eliminate that option.  I guess we start looking at birthing centers, if that's even an option?  I have no clue how to find an OB or anything like that. Just feeling bummed. Thoughts?
Me: 31
DH: 36
Married 5 years
DD born 8/30/13
#2 expected 4/25/17

Re: GBS Positive in First Tri?

• If you're positive be you'll be positive whenever they test. It's no big deal. Usually they just don't test until 3rd tri b/c you're closer to delivery and that's when it matters. You'll likely get intravenous antibiotics at delivery. No biggie. My doc last time said basically at some point in my life I didn't wipe the right direction. Incrediblely common and zero to worry about.

• If you're positive be you'll be positive whenever they test. It's no big deal. Usually they just don't test until 3rd tri b/c you're closer to delivery and that's when it matters. You'll likely get intravenous antibiotics at delivery. No biggie. My doc last time said basically at some point in my life I didn't wipe the right direction. Incrediblely common and zero to worry about.
    Yeah, that's what I'm finding too.  It actually is a biggie...can't get the IV at home so it totally changes everything for me. :/

Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Loading the player...
  • My neighbor is having a homeborth and tested a low level positive - she's being retested, but even if she's still positive the midwives said they'd just bring the IV to her house. Is this not an option everywhere? 

• @cafedisco I'm really sorry that your birth plans is in jeopardy. I haven't had a positive GBS but I recalled the doula who taught my prenatal class with DS talk about it not necessarily excluding home and other types of non-hospital birth. I tried to look online and found this website from the UK... https://www.homebirth.org.uk/gbs.htm... they reiterate that home birth isn't off the table, talk about some stats and give some options to consider that would still allow the homebirth.

Obviously different countries and different states have different regulations but I don't think it's a definite no at this point. Talk to your midwife, and possibly a couple others to see what they are comfortable with.

I hope it works out for you.
  • My neighbor is having a homeborth and tested a low level positive - she's being retested, but even if she's still positive the midwives said they'd just bring the IV to her house. Is this not an option everywhere? 

I've tried finding info online and have had trouble. I honestly have no idea...there aren't really Certified Nurse Midwives who do homebirths in AZ, so I just assumed it was off the table (my midwives are certified professional midwives).  I really should calm down until my appointment.  It does help to hear that the option to give the IV at home is out there!  I'm a pessimist by nature which is the worst in pregnancy... :/

@allybadry thanks for your understanding! I tested negative with DD so I didn't really pay much attention to it. I'm hoping it works out too!
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • I had no idea this was even a thing. I had to Google it, and now the hypochondriac in me is freaking out.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• WkoutMomtoBeWkoutMomtoBe member
    edited September 2016
    UGH...I had strep throat right after my wedding in May and it was Group B. Is this the same thing? My dr was confused because he said that is usually result of of outbreak but I'm like well I was with nearly 200 people so who knows...

Then I thought I had a UTI and the nurse said it could be the Strep B...it went away so I'm not sure. Should I get tested or wait until 35 weeks?
  • @WkoutMomtoBe  I'm pretty sure Group A is what causes strep throat.  Group B is usually harmless but can cause problems if a newborn becomes infected. It does look like UTIs are more common if you have Group B, from what I'm reading (but I'm only an expert as of the last 24 hours...).  I would imagine you could just wait until 35 weeks.  Unless you have a current UTI, there's nothing to be done now.  
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Sounds like a really good question to call your midwife about on Monday.  In ID I don't think it rules it out and I know my midwives could handle it in the birthing center I last delivered at BUT they were CNM.  But sometimes your midwives will work with physicians that can assist with that so deffinetly call them!  
  • I wrote them last night because I was fretting too much.  They basically sent a bunch of answers back.  I'm guessing it's a better in person conversation.  Trying to relax about it until Thursday.  @Cook3133 this connects to your other thread on where to give birth.  My first was very difficult for me and hard to process, I was really hoping this birth would prove a better experience.  Not that a hospital birth can't be good, but for me, it would make it very hard.  I have a feeling we will have to make a lot of decisions in the next week. Thanks for your support ladies!
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • @cafedisco Keep us updated. I am also in a situation where I had a horrid birth first time, very much wanted a home birth this time, but it's not the safest choice for the baby. : /
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @cafedisco Keep us updated. I am also in a situation where I had a horrid birth first time, very much wanted a home birth this time, but it's not the safest choice for the baby. : /
    Where was your first born?  I'm sorry to hear you may not be able to have the homebirth you want.  Is a birthing center an option?
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Thanks.

Yea, that might be what causes it but my strep throat was Group B which had my Dr puzzled, he personally emailed me about it 
  • @cafedisco She was born in a hospital - they pretty much ignored us in this triage area for the extent of the Labor despite husband and I taking turns begging for attention, and then due to not paying any attention until the last 30 minutes, they finally realized her heart rate was continuously decelerating, and I had to have about 6 different interventions with barely any time to give consent (episiotomy, vacuum,etc.). I understand why they did them, but the way we were treated was almost sub human. Felt like a rape. Was your first in a hospital?

Can't have a homebirth this time because I take an SSRI and it is becoming increasingly associated with breathing difficulties and low tone in newborns 0-48 hrs after birth. I really don't want to stop taking it or decrease the dose as I did last time. Two reputable CNMs I've interviewed said they would not be comfortable delivering at home. Birthing Center may be an option - still looking into it.

I hope you can re-test negative closer to your birth!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ladameperdue that sounds terrible and scary.  Are you in a big city with others options for hospital if it comes to it this time? 

DD was born at home.  But, as I learned, not all midwives are created equally.  I wasn't listened to either. And while I delivered naturally, at home, I felt really un-empowered.  The entire time I labored, it was "do this, go here, eat this, move this way."  It was really hard for me to process after.  Parts of the birth would play on a loop in my mind for months after. I had a really young midwife, I think she was just inexperienced at letting nature take it's course (I labored for over 33 hours).

That's interesting about the SSRI - I just stopped taking mine when TTC because mine wasn't safe in pregnancy but my dr. wanted to see if I could do without it altogether.  I didn't even know at the time they had risks associated with birth.  I'm actually really struggling without it and was thinking of calling my dr for a new prescription but your post makes me rethink that. I know for sure I'll need something post birth. Do you mind me asking what you take?
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • That does sound horrible and not what you would expect from a hb midwife at all. It's so hard to even process what's going on at the time because you're in such a vulnerable state. I take Citalopram (I think it's marketed as celexa), but the research they directed me to identifies the issue with SSRIs as a category - it's called neonatal adaptation syndrome. Guidelines in Canada and NZ recommend newborns be monitored for 48 hrs post delivery and be delivered in a place with pulse oximetry and other resuscitation/intubation equipment available. I don't know why ACOG and other US associations haven't addressed it yet, but I'm pretty bummed. It sucks to feel like you have to choose between yourself and your baby. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • One idea is if you do have to have in hospital to have a doula...they help you to advocate  and they have time to better explain options ( and may foresee things before they arise so you can be proactive and ask questions). My doula explained that it's not the dr/nurses don't want to/don't it is that they have several other patients and really only react. 

So again, a doula might be able to help you/your spouse see issues that come up and address them well in advance.

For instance, I know someone that had a C section first time so the doula helped bring up things to keep in mind, what drs/nurses might say etc and guess what, she had a successful VBac (the biggest was she labored 19 hours at home with her husband and doula and did the last 10 at the hospital..all her decision).
  • I know several mamas who had homebirths despite being GBS+. They did various things using garlic and Hibiclens.

I have been GBS+ both times. I have had hospital births and gotten a Heplock so I wasn't hooked up to an IV when I wasn't getting ABX. With my DD2 I had her quickly so I only got one dose. The Dr afterward said they just watch baby more closely and do a culture. I didn't have to stay any longer or anything. I just wanted to mention that b/c I felt honored and respected at both of my births and the hospital staff followed by birth plan to a T both times with no issues.

Also, in my understanding it's not a guarantee you will be GBS+ at the end just b/c you are now. The reason they test it at 35 wks is b/c it can change. So read up on ways you can try to change your status.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Thanks @MWoodside - it's nice to hear personal accounts that it can be dealt with at home. And I'm so glad to hear you had a good hospital birth experience!  I know logically there is nothing wrong with hospitals....I just get a bit of anxiety even thinking of it. 

As for the GBS now and forever, I read a different stance on that each place I find.  I've read that just because you had a positive in a previous pregnancy doesn't mean you will be again so it does seem to follow that it doesn't always stick around. 
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17