Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Muscle Fiber Implantation and termination

I was 7 weeks along and started spotting so I went to the E.R on Thursday.  After ten hours of tests and scans it was determined that my egg had implanted within the muscle fibers just outside of the tube before entering the uterus.  I received my first shot of methotrexate at ER and have to go back every other day for another shot and for my levels to be checked until I get to 0.

Although I only knew I was pregnant for a few weeks I had already formed an attachment to the idea of being pregnant and the future.  I cam home today to an Amazon package with a pregnancy book.  Talk about a huge bummer.  The worst part of all of this is that my levels are still really high and I am still experiencing pregnancy symptoms.  

I will have to wait at least 3 cycles before starting to try again bit I don't know if I want to.  I read that these types of nonviable pregnancies are not actually miscarriages so your chances of having a miscarriage do not decrease.  I don't think I could go through a loss all over again. It's hard even getting through the day without thinking, why me? 

The only thing that puts me at ease is the doctors were really comforting and explained everything to me.  I will also be screened and monitored very closely when I do get pregnant again to ease my worries.

Re: Muscle Fiber Implantation and termination

• I'm so sorry for your loss.  It is hard no matter how far along you are.  This board has been extremely helpful for me.  Time has helped me heal too.   Its normal to be sad and have mixed emotions.  Sending you thoughts and prayers. 
  • I am sorry for your loss :(
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. Do you have an OBGYN working with you?  From my experience, is unusual that you're getting MTX shots every other day until your numbers go down to 0. I'd do some more research and ask your Dr about it if I were you. From my understanding, you get one shot, then your levels are checked at day 3 (where they'll likely go up since it takes longer than that for the MTX to work) and day 7 (where hopefully they decrease significantly). If the HCG decreased enough by day 7, they consider the single shot of MTX successful, if not then you get another. I haven't heard of anyone getting more than 2 shots- if it doesn't work by then, they move on to surgery. And monitoring every other day until your HCG is 0 also seems excessive, and painful! My numbers were never high with my ectopic, but it still took over a month to go down. I was monitored every week after the MTX was confirmed to have worked, and 3 months later my arm is still sore from all the blood draws :-( Having to do all this follow up after a loss just adds to the pain, I'm sorry you have to do all of it.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. Do you have an OBGYN working with you?  From my experience, is unusual that you're getting MTX shots every other day until your numbers go down to 0. I'd do some more research and ask your Dr about it if I were you. From my understanding, you get one shot, then your levels are checked at day 3 (where they'll likely go up since it takes longer than that for the MTX to work) and day 7 (where hopefully they decrease significantly). If the HCG decreased enough by day 7, they consider the single shot of MTX successful, if not then you get another. I haven't heard of anyone getting more than 2 shots- if it doesn't work by then, they move on to surgery. And monitoring every other day until your HCG is 0 also seems excessive, and painful! My numbers were never high with my ectopic, but it still took over a month to go down. I was monitored every week after the MTX was confirmed to have worked, and 3 months later my arm is still sore from all the blood draws :-( Having to do all this follow up after a loss just adds to the pain, I'm sorry you have to do all of it.
    I thought it seemed strange but there was a team of 3 OB doctors there.  I guess because of where my egg implanted I needed the extra monitoring and shots because it is within the fibers and may cause lasting damage if it came to operating.  I also need to take medicine everyday to counteract the methotrexate.  I guess the pill replaces folate?  This was my first pregnancy and has me terrified of trying again.  

• Thank you all.  Tough times.