March 2017 Moms

Is a double stroller worth it?

Really what I'm trying to get at is when do kids stop using strollers?

Background - DD will be 2.5 when this LO is born, and she is an independent child who wants to walk/run on her own everywhere. She loves stroller walks at night before bed however, but we will be getting a double bob so I can take both babies to stroller strides, for nightly walks, and for when my DH takes them running.

The double bob is very bulky and wouldn't be practical in any other situation for us then the ones I listed. So is getting a second double stroller for everyday use really worth it? I thought about the double sit and stand stroller (any recommendations?) but now I'm thinking that our everyday single stroller is enough because my toddler will probably just be able to walk where ever we go. Any STM+ moms have any insight? When did your kids stop using strollers all together? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is a double stroller worth it?

• I am in your shoes exactly - only getting the double Bob for SS really. While I'm kinda here to follow I'm pretty sure we won't get a second double. DS is only a year but we already rarely use either of our single strollers when out and about. The only think I can think about a time when I've seen my sil use her sit and stand that made sense there were rentals - like a hot day at a theme park - but I can still technically use my bob.

But again... still here to follow and hear from those far more experienced than I.
  • I'm curious to see these answers too. My daughter will be 3 when the new baby gets here. Currently we only use her little umbrella stroller for zoo/theme parks. We have the Britax B something car seat/stroller combo and I'm not sure if it's worth getting some type of sit and stand compatible stroller. Or should I just baby wear and let daughter continue to use her umbrella stroller. Ahhh. Talk about first world problems!
  • Loading the player...
  • mam09mam09 member
    edited September 2016
    I have a 4.5 year old and a 2 year old with one on the way. I pretty much use my double bob every day to walk to the park,go for a run, or just a walk. It rarely goes in the car, because it is bulky. On my regular stroller, uppababy vista, i have a skateboard stand thing that the 4.5 year uses. That's perfect cause she can get on and off as she pleases. 
  • We bought the Graco version of the Sit and Stand stroller when we had #3.  It was compatible with our car seat so we could snap the newborn into the stroller and my second was almost 3.  She was able to sit or stand based on what she wanted to do. Plus she was able to get in and out to walk.  It worked out well for us and this particular stroller really wasn't. Much longer or bulkier than the single stroller we already had.
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Yea! Mine are 22 months apart.  We used it often and even at just over 3 she still goes in a stroller for zoos and long walks. We walk a lot though. 
  • I'm gunna have to get one because my son will only be 16 months old...sigh 
  • My daughter will also be 2.5 and she's also super independent, but I'm worried that she'll try to run away and I won't be able to chase her fast enough will another LO in tow, so for that reason I think we're going to get a double. My friend has the double bob and it IS tremendous. If anyone has any reccos on good double stroller (esp one that can accomadate the baby car seat id love to hear them. Ty!
  • Our oldest (3 yrs) is very independent but she likes the sit & stand stroller. We have three now so it is a little different but I use our bulky side by side double stroller basically every day for whichever two of the three. Even if I have to fight with someone to get into the double stroller (which is rare because the older two tend to want to be with the baby), it's still easier to fight up front than in a store when one won't walk or won't stop running. 
  • Hmm I wasn't going to get another stroller... DS is going to be 3, but that sit and stand I might have to look into.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • edited September 2016
    I got a sit n stand convertible double stroller second hand from someone for cheap and it has been worth it in my opinion. My oldest is 2.5 so she can walk - but it's not always convenient to have her "free". it gives me a spot to sit her if she is not listening or if we're in a hurry or if I am someplace where I don't want to give her the option of running off. 

Eta; I also have a 9 month old so I'm not just pushing around an empty double stroller lol
  • @Jen528 I love the idea of the sit and stand so she can get on and off as she pleases. There isn't one by chicco that we could use with our current infant car seat, which would have been perfect. Which leaves me back to wondering if it is worth it.

I was not a big fan of baby wearing with my first, but I'll give it another try because I agree @Bok Bagok that would be one feasible solution. 
  • I'd love to hear how the sit and stand strollers maneuver. I have an old BOB now with two flat tires and I still prefer that big one to my Chicco Bravo because of how hard it is to move it around with my son in there. When baby 2 comes along, I'm wondering if the Bob is better than the other kinds. Thoughts?
  • edited September 2016
    @datalover13 thank you!! I checked that one out but it didn't have chicco listed as compatible, but I checked the reviews and someone said their chicco fit. 

ETA - I kept reading further into the reviews, and someone said their chicco key fit did not fit. I might just find it at a store and try for myself.
  • @MauiQuickie. Our sit and stand is really easy to get around with.  It is probably a foot longer than our single stroller so it doesn't feel much different.  I'd say hit up a store that has them on display and try them out.
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• @CanadianintheSouth. Some sit and stands you can use attachment parts to get it to convert to the specific car seats.  Not sure about Chicco, but it might be something to look into.  A few different brands make the sit and stand stroller.

• We didn't get a double stroller right away, and waited until we saw how we might use one. By the time #2 was four months, I knew we definitely needed one. We got the Joovy Caboose Too Ultralight Sit n Stand and we love it. For trips to the zoo, walks around the neighborhood, etc it is really nice. It's so nice for the 2/3 year old to hop on and off. I started off carrying the little one in the Ergo with my older girl walking but it was hard to hold her hand while carrying the baby and a diaper bag, or if she didn't want to come with me, it was hard to try to control her. Once both were walking this became doubly true. I would say I often use the stroller just to carry our diaper bag and snacks, jackets, etc and one or both kids walk on and off but it's worth it even for that. I wouldn't get a bulky double stroller though, I love the compact, easy to maneuver sit and stand and it worked great with small baby and toddler as well as now with a 1 yo and 3 yo. I know it'll be great for three kids too when we can rotate between all three kids riding if needed. Definitely a crucial purchase for us. No reason not to wait it out and see what your lifestyle is like though, and whether you'll really use it. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Double strollers with bassinet that are NOT car seats are hella expensive. I'm pretty sure we won't even get one...just baby wear a ton, sigh. How do people afford these things?????
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you buy a double get one USED! Parents will practically give them away bc they're major pains in the butt. It's a battle to get my 3 year old in one so we only use it for major day long outings.

Try the sit and stands before buying! My 3 year old could neither sit nor stand for more than a walk across the store! And the scooter attachments are really impossible to use.

I'm a fan of wearing a baby and pushing a single stroller. Eventually the older kid will ride a bike. There's no simple answer unfortunately.
  • Yup got my bumbleride used. No regrets.