October 2016 Moms

Moms of Early (September) Babes, Enter Here!

Re: Moms of Early (September) Babes, Enter Here!

• Also +1 for RNP it's the best thing ever

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Loading the player...
  • Sounds like I'm going RnP shopping today! I can't live on this little sleep. It is a little comforting to know I'm not the only one though. 
    @mkc3888 You've got a good routine going. Maybe I will consider adding pumped bm into mine so I can sleep more.
  • Pumping a nighttime stash is a lifesaver @OrangeEv and definitely see if you can recruit your H to tackle a night feeding like @mkc3888 mentioned! You MUST get some sleep.
  • +1 for letting dad cover one midnight feed. What worked for us was for me to pump while DH bottle fed one midnight feeding, and we all got to sleep a lot faster that round. One good stretch makes such a difference!
  • Well right now it's hard to recruit DH because he is working twelves every weekday and leaves the house at 4:30am. But when we get a better schedule down, I definitely will start with like a midnight bottke fir him to give. 
  • I found pumping at night to be a huge pain in the rear. I guess because we don't have much of a stash, so I would feed, pump, and the have to feed again.  Ugh. I started aggressively pumping during the day when I'm awake anyway, and just BFing at night.  It works better for me because I can cat nap while baby is at the breast, then change her, put her down, and get 1:15 worth of sleep before doing it again. But that may or may not work for you. Our LO tends to be fussiest and want more food during the day, so we supplement then and just do every 2 hours at night.

You can also try baby wearing, though that's harder at night. It works great for us during the day, but I think our LO may have her days and nights mixed up.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• @nataliemaephotography   This is one of the things I found most useful while using my double pump:  https://www.amazon.com/PumpEase-Fabulous-Collection-hands-free-pumping/dp/B00KRNZYII/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1JZ74MDCN79I

I went 20 months with nursing/pumping with my first and once I found this it made pumping at work so much easier.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely want to get a few good nursing tanks for when I go back to work because I'll have to pump while I'm there, but does anyone have a suggestion for a good bra while pumping? I have the double pump and find it to be a bit challenging to hold both pumps and still massage the tissue. 
    Get the simple wishes brand bra that can be adjusted with Velcro on the back as you shrink.  It is a necessity in my book.  
  • I got one more hour if sleep than normal with the RNP! He cried every other time I tried to put him in it, but it's a small victory! 

Bili level getting checked for about the 5th fime this week. We had to be at the Dr by 8am. If it hasn't come down, he's getting admitted for phototherapy :(
  • Good luck @orangeev !  I hope his test goes ok.  8 am is so early to have to be somewhere!  We had an appointment to get Bili rechecked at 10am Thursday, and that felt like a massive feat to get ready and out the door for.  Our Bili had improved at that appointment, so we don't have to go back until the 2 wk.  
  • @OrangeEv fingers crossed for a good report! Let us know what they say.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @gatorMom2014 What were the levels? Just curious. His are right on the edge, was 17.9 yesterday. 
  • @OrangeEv Excellent news! Just nurse, nurse, nurse!
  • @mkc3888 that cutting holes in a sports bra (I have a couple genie bras that the pads ripped so they are essentially old useless sports bras, hoping they still fot now with the milk size. 

@OrangeEv at first I was getting almost no sleep thanks to the whole opposite circadian rhythm thing and cluster feeding and my own anxiety...that shifted over a couple long nights with both DH and I getting little sleep, and it's still not a set schedule but I typically get about 8 hours broken up. I feed LO in the glider in her room, then put her in her crib and go to bed with my alarm set for every three hours. Sometimes she goes more like 4 hours at a time at night if she ate for a good 45min, and I don't see a problem letting her determine her schedule like that when she's eating every 2-3 during the day. I did order a cheap cosleeper last week for times after DH leaves for work and I want to relax in bed with her but I'm terrified of falling asleep holding her (happened once).
  • @UponAStar16 Wow, your LO just lets you put her in the crib and sleeps? I can't even get my little guy to settle in the RNP
  • @OrangeEv Are you swaddling? Our girl doesn't like being in the RNP unless swaddled, then she's fine.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201

• @orangeev I'm not sure what the numbers were at the hospital, but at the pediatrician on Wed it was 11. He wanted us to come back and check again the next day to make sure it wasn't going up.  I came back the next day and saw a NP/Lactation Consultant who said she wasn't going to do the Bili test again because his tone didn't look too yellow.  According to her his face a chest looked a little yellow, but not his legs--apparently it's more worrisome if it gets to their legs.  However, now I keep wondering if he looks yellow, and whether they should have done the test again (since that was the reason we came back to the doctor that day).  Glad your numbers went down!
  • Thank you everyone for the tips! Today I tried swaddling in the RNP and using white noise and he did pretty good! Slept 2 full hours in it this morning! We'll see about tonight. 
  • @PCOSbaby, have you tried adding oatmeal to your diet? I did a few days ago and I'm already seeing an increase in supply. Also, my LC recommended a supplement you can purchase on Amazon. I think it's called More Milk Plus?

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • @PCOSbaby good luck! You could try adding brewer's yeast and Mother's Milk tea as well as oatmeal. Hope you have success quickly!
  • yeah i bought the yeast and the tea and i'm hoping for the best 
  • Thanks ladies! I have the tea and oatmeal. DH made lactation cookies yesterday and I was on the toilet for 30 minutes! Imagine that 6 days after a c section.

I ordered brewers yeast and fenugreek pills from Amazon. They should arrive tomorrow.

I have seen an increase since I became committed to staying hydrated and drinking more than one cup of the tea. 
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• +1 Good ol' fashion oatmeal, worked wonders for my supply last go around!
  • @OrangeEv glad lo's bilirubin levels are going down. When we first got home our ped reccomend sitting near a sunny window with lo naked to get sun. 

My poor lo has had 2 rashes in 3 weeks, with putting Vaseline on with every diaper change and changing before and after feelings. We just started cloth diapering to see if this helps at the reccomendation from my sister. Any tips on treating and preventing diaper rash?

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @mkc3888 Aww sorry about the rashes. We just use A&D ointment and it works great so far. 
    Also I should try the windiw thing. My Dr says they no longer recommend it due to overheating risk but it should be fine if I'm right there. 

@PCOSbaby I'm glad you found this thread! My mom and grandma both swear by drinking lots and lots of water. They say if youre having a rough time, just drink water and focus only on feeding your LO and it should work out. I hope you get good results soon! 
  • @mkc3888 I second the A&D. Hazel had a rash when we left the hospital, I've put A&D on her after every diaper change and her rash is gone. 
  • I don't think A&D is cloth safe. Try coconut oil if you're using cloth dipes. Other than that, just change as soon as the diaper is dirty. 

We are waiting for LO to get big enough to use all the cloth diapers we bought! Currently in disposables. But headed to the store tomorrow to consider some newborn covers to get us through the next few weeks. 

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201

• Lurking. But to help with the rash and cloth dipe issue.. My daughter had the same thing. I added in micro fleece liners to help keep moisture off her bum. Then plenty of diaper free time, and changed her every 1-2hrs to keep her dry. Then made sure I patted her dry after each diaper time. 
  • The lactation nurse at kaiser suggested you that you massage your breasts in a downward motion for five minutes after the breastfeeding for the first five days to increase milk supply. Haven't had my LO yet but I thought I would pass it on. They claim it's very new research. 
  • von1976von1976 member
    edited September 2016
    The lactation nurse at kaiser suggested you that you massage your breasts in a downward motion for five minutes after the breastfeeding for the first five days to increase milk supply. Haven't had my LO yet but I thought I would pass it on. They claim it's very new research. 
    I don't know if it works, but my lactation consultant also suggested this. My boobs have not seen this much action since high school, but my milk is fast and furious. I can easily get 3 oz in a 20 min pumping session between both breasts. I feel like that's pretty good. 

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201

• @mkc3888 we use Aquaphor for diaper rash/redness/irritation.  Haven't had a severe rash, but it has always worked for my older kid too.  If you put it on your own lips you can tell how comfy it is.