March 2017 Moms

Nursery Talk! Plans, Themes, etc.

Let's Talk Nurseries! What are your plans so far? Any questions? Any FTM overachievers already set up? ;) haha

Themes, colors, space to be used? Pinterest Board Inspirations? Shared space with a sibling?  

(Not to make anyone feel behind or overwhelmed... we all have SO much time!  but to share excitement and ideas!) 

Re: Nursery Talk! Plans, Themes, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • I need to start narrowing down my ideas but we are thinking camping/adventure for a boy and a flowery woodland theme for a girl.  I picked and dried some wildflowers over the summer to frame in case it is a girl.  We find out tomorrow and I can't wait to get serious about the theme this weekend!

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH came up with the idea to do a Disney movie themed room (I didn't argue)...I don't want it to scream Disney, but I want it to have Disney accents (if that makes sense)...so far we're considering "The Jungle Book", "The Lion King", and "Finding Nemo"
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• @EALasagna45 - gray & pink has been popular for a while, I don't think its going anywhere soon. Besides, who cares if it's trendy? Baby's only going to be little for a short time, then they will have their own interests.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• I'm so excited to really start planning and nailing down what we are going to do for the nursery! Everybody's ideas are adorable! I'm worried that I'm going ham with too much pink......

I LOVE the navy colored walls, neutral furniture and accents of pink but I wonder if the walls will be too dark. I also love they grey and pink color combo as well but I worry it's too trendy?

Question: Is there any nursery related items that you 100% recommend and/or 100% recommend skipping?.
    Definitely get a glider!
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • Lots of cuteness here! No pictures yet, but I'm thinking a woodland theme for a boy and shabby chic for a girl.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Going to do a moon/star theme much like @RunBooRun
  • With my daughter I did a shabby chic meets woodland animals theme. Her walls were a robin egg blue with pink and white accents. This poor baby boy is going to get the short end of the stick on a nursery. He'll just be staying in our bedroom for the first 6-9 months, then after that  share a room with his sister. I'll paint something special on the wall his crib will be on, I was thinking a nighttime ocean/stars type thing. Waves, a ship, moon and stars. We are going to be moving within the next two years so I'll give him a nice room then. 
  • With DS we did a green room with safari animal theme...we will be moving shortly after this baby is born and he/she will be hanging out in our room for a while. I don't think we will end up doing much for a nursery at our next location bc we really want to rent a house this time.
  • Poor Pluto lol
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • I was shut down really fast on neutral colours. Like the second it was out of my mouth Hubby said no. He wanted just short of neon green in the poor child's room! Thankfully we compromised by agreeing if we stay team green then we could do an orange nursery (which is his favourite colour). We settled on a really nice soft orange that is very versatile in my opinion. Hoping to do an accent wall with some white trim like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/162481499034629899/

Other than that I think we are aiming at white furniture and splashes of another colour once we know what baby actually is!
  • I love all these ideas, you're all so creative! We have a room that's a nice spring green color, it's just been an office/extra room but should make a good nursery & we can keep the green walls & have the furniture & things be gender neutral (mostly white with grey accents/some fun pops of color) because we'd ideally like to reuse it again for another baby. I haven't given much thought to a theme yet, but I'm a huge animal lover so maybe I can do a puppy dog theme or a farm animal theme if DH lets me get all arts & craftsy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • omg Pluto!! lol poor little guy
  • Ha poor Pluto! 

@Spartanrd4 We are getting DH's old nursery furniture (sans crib) and painting it white/adding knobs. It's super 80's looking so I hope we can modernize it a bit, but it's solid wood and best of all, free!

We are team green. I think we are going to do grey/mint green walls with pops of other colors in the decor. Probably go with elephants/baby animal theme. 
  • kiyamurphkiyamurph member
    edited September 2016
    I'm so excited to really start planning and nailing down what we are going to do for the nursery! Everybody's ideas are adorable! I'm worried that I'm going ham with too much pink......

I LOVE the navy colored walls, neutral furniture and accents of pink but I wonder if the walls will be too dark. I also love they grey and pink color combo as well but I worry it's too trendy?

Question: Is there any nursery related items that you 100% recommend and/or 100% recommend skipping?.
    I 100% recommend some type of rocking chair with ottoman. If I could do it all over again I would get a giant Lay Z Boy type chair since it reclines. I spent many a night in the current chair we have and I wanted to recline so badly it hurt. I 100% don't recommend a separate changing table. Total waste as it won't be used for too long. We just put a changing pad on top of the dresser and that worked just fine.
  • kjd291 said:
    We did a gender neutral "you are my sunshine" theme for DD so that we could keep it for future babes. ((Pic is just concept from internet))

This babe is gonna be co-sleeping / room sharing with DH and I for the first 5-6mo and then transitioning into that room with DD.  So no fun nursery plans for me this time around. 
    This is us too kinda bummed I had such great ideas lol! 

For ds I made up my own theme- rustic americana. Very patriotic but rustic. Im in love but already looking forward to when we re do his room one day - vintage cars and motorcycles !

• @Wishilivedinflorida I love mint green and I feel like gray goes well with so many colors. And vintage is so in right now! ;)
  • I'm so excited to really start planning and nailing down what we are going to do for the nursery! Everybody's ideas are adorable! I'm worried that I'm going ham with too much pink......

I don't think thr navy walls would be too dark at all it looks beautiful!  So I know a pp recommended glider but I got a leather recliner for DSs room and I love it. Esp for the nights he was sick and need to be held upright. He and I both were able to get some rest in the chair!
  • Gah @EALasagna45 I lovvvve the navy walls! So pretty and classy, plus age well with the child!
  • @RunBooRun You are totally right! I honestly don't know why I even gave much thought about the "trendiness" of a nursery. Pregnancy has turned me into such a softie worrying about other people's opinions. 

@AverageAsh @vino831 We definitely plan on getting some sort of gliding/rocking chair. I'm wondering if it's better to have it in the nursery or even the living room? I mean if I'm up at 3:00 in the am nursing a baby, won't I want the T.V on in the background or will I want silence in their bedroom? First world & first time mom problems....  :|

@Wishilivedinflorida Thank you!! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm loving all these ideas! We don't know the gender yet but I know we're leaving the walls tan and using a pale green velour chair I already had as a starting point. I'm thinking very soothing, pale colors. Greens, blues, tans and make it lean toward whichever gender this baby ends up being. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We do simple Montessori bedrooms. We will transition #2 to share with her sister this winter and the new baby will move into her room, which is set up already. All I have to do is switch out clothes. :) We've had the same setup for all the kids so far, no real changes. Floor bed, shelf with baskets for clothes and changing pad on top, small shelf for a few books and toys, infant sized chair, glider. Very minimal, so really no prep to do. We will hang the first mobile at some point around baby's due date. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • kiyamurph said:
    I'm so excited to really start planning and nailing down what we are going to do for the nursery! Everybody's ideas are adorable! I'm worried that I'm going ham with too much pink......

I 100% recommend some type of rocking chair with ottoman. If I could do it all over again I would get a giant Lay Z Boy type chair since it reclines. I spent many a night in the current chair we have and I wanted to recline so badly it hurt. I 100% don't recommend a separate changing table. Total waste as it won't be used for too long. We just put a changing pad on top of the dresser and that worked just fine.
    Totally agree with this. I have a cheap glider I got secondhand and I'm so glad I have it but if I could do it all over I'd get a way more comfortable chair. My back hurt so much from nursing in the glider because the armrails pushed into my back and shoulders so much. Changing table definitely unnecessary - just get the pad and put it on top of whatever dresser or shelving you have. Then when it's not needed, you just pop it off and have a functional piece of furniture. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Robi1 said:
    We do simple Montessori bedrooms. We will transition #2 to share with her sister this winter and the new baby will move into her room, which is set up already. All I have to do is switch out clothes. :) We've had the same setup for all the kids so far, no real changes. Floor bed, shelf with baskets for clothes and changing pad on top, small shelf for a few books and toys, infant sized chair, glider. Very minimal, so really no prep to do. We will hang the first mobile at some point around baby's due date. 
    Do you have pictures as an example? I'm having a hard time understanding your changing area set up.
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • We find out the sex on October 1rst but I am hoping for a boy mostly because I have a plan to do a Star Wars themed nursery! We have 3 girls so DH will not support redecorating for another lady since we have so much already but I am hoping I can convince him to create a man cave for a little guy. So far, DH is against the geekiness of Star Wars but I am hoping I can convince him lol. Otherwise, our mostly gender neutral nursery will stay as is.