January 2016 Moms

Clingy baby

My little boy is a stage 5 clinger! 
Honestly almost every time I lay him down on the floor for tummy time or even to lie on his back and maybe roll around he ugly cries, with tears ... the works. He just wants to be carried around all day - I'm cursing my moby and ergo right now.
It's heartbreaking to see him so upset, but he isn't crawling yet so I'm torn. How will he learn to move and crawl if I don't leave him down? 
Anyone have any tips or advice? We just moved and I really need my hands free to unpack right now.

Re: Clingy baby

• Can you back wear him? 7-8 months is when they really attach to one person. My daughter is going through a struggle to get down and then the moment she gets down reach up to be picked up again. I wouldn't worry about wearing preventing him from crawling. Wearing builds up the same muscles that tummy time does.
    (Sometimes my LO is content to be up higher. SHe'll sit in the high chair right next to me as I cook/wash dishes and throw her toys on the floor.)
  • Yes I wore him on my back while we unpacked yesterday. He loved it and it was amazing to have my hands really free, but it's hard for me to get him in there on my own. Thanks for reminding me that he's still building muscle while being worn. I'll probably pop him in the carrier some more today to get some work done, but it's becoming exhausting. He's a big baby. 
    I've heard larger babies can take longer to crawl or walk. But at this point my dh just thinks he's being whiny and should be crawling by now. So if I pick him up I'm spoiling him or making him a mama's boy, but if I let him fuss then he's a whiner - lose/lose. 
    It definitely feels like he is bonding with me over here, so I guess I'll soak it up while I can. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Soooo clingy... I secretly love it though :)
  • Stage 5 clinger here as well!! He's not crawling either and not showing much interest in doing so. I'm soaking it all up and know it will be over too soon and he'll be running away from me!! 
  • I have a very clingy baby but she doesn't like to be held at all.  She just likes me to be near her -- like within a certain specific distance.  And she likes me to move her from one place to another every 15 minutes and switch up her toys because she gets bored. 
  • @Jessdub10
     Here is a really good video on how to "hip scoot" baby onto your back. Practice over your bed. You might have something other than a Tula, but it's essentially the same with all. I've been practicing with my mei tai.
    Also, see if there's a local babywearing group in your area. We have one, and not only do they have a lending library, but you can take in your own stuff and have them help you. I took my ring sling to 4 meetings before I decided it wasn't love. It took me all of 10 minutes borrowing their Babyhawk to know I wanted one.

As far as your DH--it sound like he won't be satisfied no matter what. And he calls the baby a whiner. For heaven's sake. He's a BABY. They're supposed to whine. And being part of this month club, is well within the reasonable amount of time to still not be crawling. Do what is right for your baby and you, because it sounds like DH will bitch about whatever you do.
  • grkgdss00grkgdss00 member
    edited September 2016
    Ok I take it back - I don't secretly love it anymore.  :s DD was a clingy mess this weekend. If she sees me it's all over, just whines and reaches for me constantly. She just wants to be held. Ahhhhhh . She's usually great with daddy but not recently. Hoping this passes soon. I told nanny about it and she texted me saying how happy and great she's been today, no fussing etc. So i'm sure it's just for me - yay!
  • DS woke up last night and DH was trying to soothe him so he could put him back to sleep.  I made the mistake of walking past his door.  So much crying!  He wouldn't calm down until I came in to hold him.
  • grkgdss00 said:
    Ok I take it back - I don't secretly love it anymore.  :s DD was a clingy mess this weekend. If she sees me it's all over, just whines and reaches for me constantly. She just wants to be held. Ahhhhhh . She's usually great with daddy but not recently. Hoping this passes soon. I told nanny about it and she texted me saying how happy and great she's been today, no fussing etc. So i'm sure it's just for me - yay!

Yep, my LO is like this too. I think my DH is starting to think I'm a liar when I say the days are tough because she's such a doll with him, but for me she acts like I'm destroying her life if I'm not holding onto her every second.
  • Haha! Just found some more posts here and had to say that it's still going on here too.  Actually I think it's getting worse - he will only fall asleep if he is snuggled by my face and is starting to object to sharing me with his big sister. He will now reach out his hand and beg for me if anyone else holds him. I'm also pretty sure his first word was "up" as in "momma hold me now"!! He's been making that sound "upupuph" for a while now in context of me carrying him around. He also calls me when he's mad enough and he will do a lot of "ama amama" if he's pissed off that I'm not holding him. 
    I don't remember his sister being this bad... Maybe I blocked it out? Or maybe it just feels worse when you also have a four year old telling you to watch everything she does too. Ugh I wish there was like four of me.