September 2016 Moms

C Section Recovery

Sean Cohen came a week early and had arrested descendant and we determined it was not worth the pushing face due to potential damage. After much disappointment and tears we had a c section. Now I wish I had paid more attention in the class to c sections. Any tips on recovery? Should I have my Mom come out sooner.  Does ice help the incision? I am on day two and still in a lot of pain when I walk to the bathroom. My husband has to go back to work in a week and am worried about taking care of me and LO. 

Re: C Section Recovery

• Ugggh I am a week in, and it is a long recovery.  If you are nursing your baby then I would recommend having your mom come out early.  Getting everything set up for football style, and getting baby in position on your own can be hard when you are recovering.  Even more so if they are sometimes combative when you are trying to nurse them.  (my little guy starts kickboxing sometimes.) It can also be hard to carry them in a position that is good for burping them while you recover.

A nurse showed me how to a position a thick maxi pad in my underwear in front of the incision, to give it some cushioning, and then how to wear my postnatal recovery support band.  I would recommend being taught how to put one on, and having one.  My pain tends to not be with my incision, but my belly above that, and I have occasionally used ice there.  I don't know what they did for your intestines, but I would recommend gradually increasing your fiber intake to get that part of your body back to normal. 
  • Yes ice can help. I don't have much to add as I didn't have really any issues or pain this time around. Wearing spanks can help as it holds everything in place. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Make sure your taking your pain meds!

I have easy c/s recoveries.  I was released a day and half after mine this time and was driving after 6 days.  I'm 3.5 weeks out now and for the most part the pain is gone.I do have pain inbetween my incision and belly button form them pulling my muscles.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • I second @618mom22boys take your pain medication. Stay on top of the pain... I had DS on 09/07 and have little to no pain but I do still take 1 600mg of motrin every morning, it helps me get through the morning routine.   I did the same with my first and it seemed to work for me.

Also, keep moving, don't go crazy or do more than you can or what Dr said to do  but just walking around the house with DS seemed to help. 

My ob/gyn had me out of bed the night of my C-section and walking the next morning. I think that helped with recovery. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What is the appropriate way to wear the support band? They tried to get me to wear it in the hospital but it was so painful that I've been going without it. I'm sure if I wore it properly it would be super helpful
  • @markitta12 apparently you are supposed to wear it low, with the the bottom part covering your incision.  It provides support for your abdominal muscles so that you do not strain yourself, and your incision.  If you have the maxi pad in front of your incision the band provides the support you need to not strain the incision areas when you get up.  It gets less uncomfortable when your intestines get back to normal. 
  • I'm 1 week 2 days post section and finally now starting to feel more normal. I was doing the Motrin 600mg which really helped. The burning incision pain was the worst and that helped it. Also I had some generalized abdominal pain that at night I propped a squishy pillow up under my belly until I had relief- kinda like I did the last month of pregnancy. Just take it easy and remember you just had major surgery and healing will take time :)
  • The pain doesn't last that long. I was feeling about 90% again after a week.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg