Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Trouble transitioning to sippy cup

my daughter is 16 months. We have been trying since 11-12 months to transition her to a sippy cup. I give it to her and she throws it on the ground. I have tried putting juice, chocolate milk, water, and normal milk in there. We have 20 cups from target just sitting around. She just seems so attached to the bottle. Any suggestions on transitioning? 

Re: Trouble transitioning to sippy cup

• I've heard some people going cold turkey on bottles and making a big show of throwing the bottles away. 
  • I'm not sure I'm much help for this. My son will drink water from his cup, but will only do milk in a bottle.

Expanding off pp, with one of my brothers we "gave" all his bottles to the garbage man. He was super obsessed with him and we made a big show of it and he never looked back. It was very cute. 
  • Loading the player...
  • You've mentioned sippy cups, but have you tried cups with straws? Either the toddler kind or even just a cup with lid and a regular straw (like a fast food cup). My DS did better with straws initially, then sippy cups. I will still let him use a regular cup and straw when we are out to eat, tho I have to hold the cup and straw for him, otherwise he will fling it. 

Also, throwing their cups on the ground is a normal thing for a kid this age, it's a pain in the ass but I just keep getting it and will offer it to him when he wants another drink.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you using a hard spout sippy cup, or one with a silicone type mouthpiece?  We used the silicone mouthpiece ones with my daughter, and it was pretty easy to get her to drink.  I think because it "felt" like a bottle nipple, she was more receptive to it.  We used some from Nuby for her.  They have one called a GripN'Sip with handles if she would like that, and of course they have the ones without handles too.  
    Anniversary

TTC: 3/23/2013, BFP: 2/28/2014, EDD: 11/6/2014, ADD: 11/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC: 2/1/2016, BFP: 3/4/2017, EDD: 11/11/2017, No HB @ 8 weeks, MC: 4/8/2017
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

TTC: 5/24/2017, BFP: 4/14/2018, EDD: 12/22/2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have tried a variety of sippy cups and nipples. She drinks from avent bottles. We got the avent transition sippy cup with the same nipple and she wouldn't take the bait haha I think a lot of it is a comfort thing. I just keep trying 
  • rias5203 said:
    We have tried a variety of sippy cups and nipples. She drinks from avent bottles. We got the avent transition sippy cup with the same nipple and she wouldn't take the bait haha I think a lot of it is a comfort thing. I just keep trying 
    This is us!!! Nothing works for him. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • My son wanted nothing to do with a sippy cup.  So we went straight to plastic cup.  He will use the 360 sippy cups now but does way better with a regular cup.  He is 13 months old 
  • My daughter, now 13 months, was the same way especially with her nighttime bottle.  She drinks her sippy fine at daycare so I know that she can do it.  We just got rid of her bottles per our ped's recommendation.  He said the sooner the better in terms of avoiding a real attachment.  I figure that what's most important is getting the nutrients from food and the milk is bonus, so worst case is that she doesn't drink as much milk for awhile.
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • What kind of sippy cup are you using? I threw out all of my DD's pacifiers and bottles cold turkey. She never liked the hard spout ones, but what really helped us were the ones with the silicone straws. We are now at a stage where she can drink from a regular cup (with some spills, as to be expected). It's a gradual process.
  • Have you tried straws?  My 13 month olds can drink out of sippys, but prefer straws since like 8 months.  I saw a video online on how to do it and it was done in 5 min lol.  Now they can drink out of anything. But to keep the mess down we do straw cups.   Start with the weighted straw ones.   
    TTC since 2013 (loss mentioned)
    IUI #1 and 2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP - miscarried at 7 weeks
    started IVF cycle Feb 2016
    2/19 ER-- 20 Retrieved 12 fertilized 6 tested 
    2/26 -- 3 normal, 2 abnormal, 2 unconfirmed 
    4/3 transfer
    4/29 - Miscarried
    8/25 - transfer
    9/3 - BFP  -- fingers crossed...