TTC after 35

TWW: Sept 12-18

Tell us how many DPO you are, what you're doing/not doing this month, when/if you'll test, and symptoms that have you wondering if this is THE month! 

If you haven't already made a separate intro, please first do so in a separate discussion thread so we can get to know you! Good luck!

Re: TWW: Sept 12-18

• I'm 13 DPO and kind of going crazy. Feeling a low level of nausea and reminding reminding and re reminding myself how the brain has fooled me before into making symptoms so very believable, yet holding onto a shred of hope and prayer that this month is different and maybe these cramps and bloating these last few days aren't an imminent AF. As I said last week, our BD was good (-5,-3,-2,-1,0,+2). I've completely cut caffeinated coffee and any alcohol, am taking prenatals, trying to slowly drop a little weight through portion control and healthier choices, digital OPK for best 4 days, trying to lower stress, and praying. I don't want to test because I don't want to see a BFN. Too difficult. So I will not unless it gets to be several days past when AF would be due. I think my cycle may be changing because according to a calendar and my usual cycle length, I'd be due on the 20th; but per OPK, I ovulated 8/31 so would be due in the next day or two. Hoping I'm not getting shorter cycle from peri menopause? Only time will tell!
  • I'm about 9 DPO and given that we pretty much missed all our fertile days I have to assume this will not be our lucky cycle.  Clomid (took CD 5-9 for clomid challenge) delayed ovulation so here I am at CD 40 and I feel like this cycle was such a waste.  Next cycle I will take clomid CD 3-7 and we will do an IUI after a positive OPK.  I'm just waiting impatiently for AF so I can start fresh.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Loading the player...
  • @laurad75 I think the wait is just as hard when you're ready to start a new cycle! It's good to hear though, and hopefully a comfort to you, that you've got a plan in place with the Clomid and IUI. FX for you for next cycle!
  • @laurad75 I hear ya. About 7DPO but only BD once during FW due to our shitty schedules. DH doesn't want to ramp things up until after our annual visit to NOLA early Oct. Here's to your next cycle lady, and good luck with your IUI  :)
    Me: 39 DH: 39
    CP 1/25/16 4.5 weeks, developed Graves' disease
  • @laurad75 Hugs to you!  FX you don't have to wait too long, one way or the other!

I'm at 5DPO.  Our timing was decent, but not nearly as good as last month. -5, -4, -1, +1, +2 (is that even a thing?!?).  I just realized, I'm having kind of a craptastic few weeks.  I mean, most things are fine, good even, but I think my appetite has gotten a bit weird now that I'm settling into low carbing (this is my second cycle of it), and when I do eat eat certain carbs I feel lethargic and exhausted.  I'm trying to figure out what messes me up and what doesn't.  Fun!

I am enjoying getting acupuncture, and am taking what seems like every supplement on earth. 

In general, I'm at a place this cycle where I'm just waiting to finish it up and enjoy my next FW, while we're on our leaf peeping tour back east for two weeks!
    Me: 45 OH: 42
    Beloved SS: born 12/2011
    TTC my bio #1/our #2 since January 2016
    **TW** June 2016 had CP **end TW**
    August 2016 - dx with DOR
    Somewhere in here received recommendation to do IVF with donor eggs, elected not to; OH dx with Low T
    May 2017 - began freezing sperm
    June 2017 - OH began treatment for Low T
    July 2017 - began doing 1 IUI via a midwife and 1 at home insemination each cycle
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6259ba
    July 2018 - exhausted frozen sperm, officially NTNP since OH is probably shooting blanks

• @Aurora1973 have a great time leaf peeping! I lived in upstate NY for over a decade before moving to the Midwest last year. It's a beautiful time of year there!
  • @Momifbysea I can't wait!!  We've wanted to head that way in the fall for a very long time.  Plus, two weeks+ away is dreamy!
    Somewhere in here received recommendation to do IVF with donor eggs, elected not to; OH dx with Low T
    July 2017 - began doing 1 IUI via a midwife and 1 at home insemination each cycle
    July 2018 - exhausted frozen sperm, officially NTNP since OH is probably shooting blanks

• Upstate NY native here too....so jealous! Have a great time!!
    Me: 39 DH: 39
    CP 1/25/16 4.5 weeks, developed Graves' disease
  • Lurking.....just had to agree, I went leaf peeping and cidery touring (cider donuts are the best!) my first year living in NYC and it was magical! I'm from the PNW and really didn't think I could be impressed with fall anywhere else, but I was so wrong! Enjoy! And @aurora1973 your timing seems pretty good to me! 

Fx for everyone else in the wait. I will join you soon. 

@Momifbysea have you tested yet? I have this crazy-good feeling for you! 

@laurad75 it only takes one time! Fx this was that time, but at least you have IUI next time. 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque no I haven't tested but time is passing sooooo slowly. I'm realizing when I said it was my O day per OPK, it was the first day I got a peak fertility (solid smiley) reading. But I realize now as I'm learning more that O is 12-36 hrs after that so perhaps I was off a day. Timing of BD still would've been good though so we'll see. Based on my only prev cycle with OPK back in April, I had a long LP so could start AF as late as Sunday. Gonna be a long weekend!
  • @Momifbysea eep! Hang in there! Sunday seems so far!! I have also don't a poor job of timing post-positive OPK. We've always BD either the day of or day after a +, but then usually just stop trying, which means we could be missing O day. But then you hear all those stories of women having sex once, three-five days before O and getting pregnant, so it's probably totally fine. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • PoeMasque said:
    @Momifbysea eep! Hang in there! Sunday seems so far!! I have also don't a poor job of timing post-positive OPK. We've always BD either the day of or day after a +, but then usually just stop trying, which means we could be missing O day. But then you hear all those stories of women having sex once, three-five days before O and getting pregnant, so it's probably totally fine. 
    yeah we usually stop trying after my + opk as well.  this month I want to continue all month long.  Can't hurt right?  last month we tried on my smile face day and the day after with no pregnancy so who knows.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @PoeMasque and @vlagrl29 You're not charting, correct?  So if you're going solely off OPKs, remember that you likely O 12-36 hours after your positive, so to make sure you're not missing O day, you want to make sure to keep going at least that long, probably more like 48 hours after your positive.  Also, it's possible to have multiple LH surges, which is what OPKs catch, in a cycle.  So since you're not confirming O with temps, it's a good idea to test with OPKs again to make sure you caught the right surge.  That's just something I learned over at the TTGP board :) 

Anyway, temping is going to give you the most info, if you feel comfortable trying it.  I was resistant at first myself because I thought it would stress me out, but what I've found is that I'm glad to know I am in fact Oing, and why my cycle lengths might be changing.  It's much less stressful, for me, to have that information.

Happy HIO ;)

• @aurora1973 due to working 12 hour swing shifts 3 days per week it's impossible for me to temp, I never wake up at the same time :( I used to participate in birth control studies (up until 3 years ago) and I had to have O confirmed via US and bloodwork, so I know I grow follicles and ovulate right around CD 14, exactly when OPK says my surge is. I could literally see the ruptured follicle get smaller during the week! 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lurking...I'm on hiatus but thought I'd mention that my RE's instructions every month has been that the day I get my positive OPK we should "have intercourse today and for the next three days".  That is when using the clearblue easy digital regular one, not the advanced. 
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • @Aurora1973 - That gives me a little hope for this cycle.  I had my smile face today.  Unfortunately DH is out of town coming home tomorrow.  He will most likely be too tired to BD so we will on Monday.  Luckily we did yesterday so hopefully I'm not totally out of luck this cycle.  Last month we only BD on the positive day and the day after.  I had a 29 day cycle last month and I'm on CD 15.  last month I started using them on CD 5 with negatives until CD 14.
  • Hey ladies, 17 (or 16) DPO and I'm out. Glad I didn't waste the test even though I was tempted. Having a rough morning. Here's to next time! I'm going to call for RE referral Monday morning.

• Momifbysea said:
    Hey ladies, 17 (or 16) DPO and I'm out. Glad I didn't waste the test even though I was tempted. Having a rough morning. Here's to next time! I'm going to call for RE referral Monday morning.
    I'm sorry I know it sucks. Good luck for next cycle and finding at RE
  • @Momifbysea boo!! I had such a good feeling for you this month too :( 

good luck with the RE! We have two more cycles until we head to the RE too. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque I know, so did I! But it's good to know we will have a plan with the RE soon. Maybe knowing there is a plan will take stress off in some way? I'm over my pity party now and ready for next cycle.
  • @Momifbysea Sorry you're out but I'm glad you are moving on to an RE.  I love my RE and feel like the clinic is really dedicated to helping us.  Hugs to you.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @Momifbysea I'm so sorry you're out!  But very glad that you're feeling better about it.  It really is a roller coaster, isn't it?  FX you get a great plan from your RE!!

@PoeMasque That is so challenging!  But it sounds like you have a handle on when you are likely to O.  It can be frustrating because after being pretty regular for months, I've had times where I O significantly earlier or later than normal.  Sounds like OPKs really are your friends.  FX you stay nice and steady :)