January 2017 Moms
Options

Death in the family

Im wondering if any of you mamas have any tips on how to help a toddler deal with the death of someone they love?

My father in law just passed away last night and he was literally my daughters whole world. He's been sick for a while so the rest of us kind of expected it to happen eventually, but she's almost 3 and doesn't understand. Unfortunately we've been away for the last couple days but we are cutting our trip short to get home for the funeral and I'm not sure how she is going to handle it. I know it is going to break her heart (and mine to see her that way) when she figures out he won't be waking up and won't be at his house anymore. Ahhh can't write anymore, tearing up... 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Death in the family

• Options
    Im wondering if any of you mamas have any tips on how to help a toddler deal with the death of someone they love?

My father in law just passed away last night and he was literally my daughters whole world. He's been sick for a while so the rest of us kind of expected it to happen eventually, but she's almost 3 and doesn't understand. Unfortunately we've been away for the last couple days but we are cutting our trip short to get home for the funeral and I'm not sure how she is going to handle it. I know it is going to break her heart (and mine to see her that way) when she figures out he won't be waking up and won't be at his house anymore. Ahhh can't write anymore, tearing up... 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    I'm so sorry for your loss.  I don't have much experience with death in my own family and definitely not with breaking the news to little ones, but I wanted to offer my condolences at the very least.  One thing I can suggest that might help, even if just a little bit, is to read books with her about coping with the loss of a loved one.  Here are some lists of both recent and tried-and-true titles that might be helpful (my background is in library science and I'm a lifelong bookworm so books tend to be my go-to for topics that are difficult to discuss):

https://imaginationsoup.net/2016/05/06/picture-books-about-death/

https://binkiesandbriefcases.com/books-to-help-young-kids-with-grief/?utm_campaign=books-to-help-young-kids-with-grief&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss

https://www.icanteachmychild.com/5-childrens-books-that-deal-with-death-loss-and-grief/

Some of these may not be relevant to your situation (I definitely saw some that are specifically about pets) and some might reflect certain religious beliefs that I don't know if you hold.  I'd definitely recommend pre-reading any that you pick out before reading them to your daughter, because it is a very sensitive subject and you won't want to confuse her. But some of these could be very helpful to you.  Your local librarian should be able to recommend some good titles to you.  Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have no advice but I'm so sorry for your loss! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I'm mobile bumping at the moment so I can't access those links but I'll definitely go on the computer in the morning and check them out. We had seen one at the library a few weeks ago that I had mentioned would be good for when the time comes but the time came too fast and we weren't prepared. I've tried talking to her about it and asked if she understood my words and she told me she doesn't want to understand my words. Broke me heart. I'm going to send H to the library to grab some books before we get home so that we are ready. 
    Again thanks a bunch
  • Options
    I don't have any advice or experience, but I just wanted to let you know that you and your family are all in my thoughts! I hope that you find a good way to talk with her about it. We're here if you need us! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss and sorry that your little girl has lost someone so close to her. That's so hard. We just lost my grandma last week but my daughter is not quite two and doesn't understand. I hope you are able to find a way to help your daughter understand. There's some good advice here. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'm sure you'll find a way to help your little one through this.  I love the idea of books - that would be the way I would go.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Thank you everyone!

My friend also suggested a bear or pillow made from one of his shirts or getting a little angel figure and telling her he's with her all the time just in a different way or something like that. I have a few days before we get back so I'll be scouring the Internet for more ideas as well. 

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your and your SO's loss; my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I would second the pillow made from a t-shirt. I know it's not a toddler related thing, but when my granddad passed away, having an old sweater and hat he used to wear really helped. That was 10 years ago and I still display his hat.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Options
    emy730emy730 member
    edited September 2016
    I am so sorry for your loss. I think the pillow made of his shirt is a great idea, and it's something she can keep for a very long time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Count me in as "no advice" but so sorry for you and your family's loss!
  • Options
    So so sorry for your loss. I lost my mom in May, so I can definitely understand how you and your family must be feeling! Big hugs!!!

I don't have a toddler but my great grandfather, who I looovveddd, passed away when I was four and I know my mom always made a huge effort to talk about him and share memories to make it feel like he was still part of the family. I don't have many memories of him left, but I remember my moms stories about him. I also plan on doing this with my baby, who will never have had the pleasure of meeting my mom. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.  We haven't experienced this yet with DS, but I definitely would try to use books to help your DD understand.  I love the idea of a teddy made with his clothes for her to have.  Etsy has a lot of shops that will make memory bears from clothing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My condolences... sending kind thoughts your way.  I like the bear idea too.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any advice either, but I, too, am sorry for your loss.  :(

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss and for the impact it is having on your daughter. I agree the books are a good idea as well as just talking to her openly about her feelings. You are in my thoughts.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. No personal advice but I've seen some similar questions on other groups I follow and the books was a frequent suggestion for helping to understand. I really like the idea of something of his being made in to a pillow or stuffed animal for her to keep.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Really sorry for what you and your family are going through! 
  • Options
    I'm so so sorry for your loss.  That is terrible.  My mil is fighting small cell lung cancer and we have only told DS that she has a bad cough.  When my grandfather and dh's grandmother passed away we told the boys that they went to heaven.  They knew them well but did not have the kind of relationship you are describing.  My heart break for you.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My FIL died in July. My son had just turned 3, and they were extremely close. I was worried how he would handle it.

We didn't say anything to him in the first few days as the adults were still dealing with the loss and all the emotions that came with it.

He he is a very active little boy, so in the hustle with all the new people around he really didn't ask about him. It was kind of out sight out of mind for him. If he said anything, it was just where's grandpa, or he'd say grandpa will be here in a minute. We would just say grandpa isn't here. Then, he would be off playing again. 

After things started to settle down about a week after his death, he started asking a little more about calling him on the phone or going to see him. When his grandmother showed up without him, he'd ask where grandpa was. 

At that point my husband sat down to talk to him in very simple terms about it, but he just wanted down to play and really didn't seem to grasp anything he said. Our son was really just to young to understand any of it. 

My mother was nice enough to make a scrap book for us of pictures of my son and his grandpa. We sit down and look at it together. We'll continue to do so and talk more about it as he's ready in the future. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. We got back to town yesterday and went straight to moms house. She ran upstairs to look for him but didn't find him, wasn't too upset just thought maybe he was out. She eventually crawled up on grandma lap and in a sad voice asked where he was. She told him in heaven with the Angels. Don't think she gets it but there were enough things happening to distract her. Then we were heading to the viewing last night and she thought we were going to his house so the whole drive she sang WERE GOING TO PAPAS HOUSE. When we got there she saw his truck and got super pumped "yay maybe papas here!" We didn't let her in the room to see him though, for fear she would try to climb in to be with him. Funeral is today then we are going to hit up a library to find some books. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with and these extra pregnancy emotions are just not helping.