September 2016 Moms
Options

Need support

Hey all, I've been MIA lately as I'm about a week over due and have been trying to keep my mind of things instead of going crazy. 

Anyway, I was told that I would be induced next Monday since the doctor wrote my original due date as the 6th and the latest they'll let me go is 42w. In the meantime, I've been trying everything possible to get labor going naturally to avoid induction. With DS it was super easy because my water broke (on time) and that following evening I started having contractions. I was thinking that this babe would be similar or at least show up a little late. I'm also a firm believer that everything happens for a reason...

Well a few days ago, DS was exposed to HFM without me knowing until after the fact. I've been keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't come down with it, but today he is so clingy and developed a fever. I know this has been going around like wildfire and a few of us and our littles have had it. I'm wondering if anyone has been this far pregnant or with a newborn around it and how did you handle it? Now I feel like I'm crossing my legs to keep her in there so she's not exposed to it :( ughhhhh 

Re: Need support

• Options
    Oh no! What awful timing! I got HFM a while ago, and I wasn't pregnant but I did have an infant at home. The only things I did were wash my hands compulsively and nurse him as much as possible so he could get the antibodies from me. DS did end up getting it, but he got it very mild compared with what I dealt with. Hoping for the best for you! Have you tried talking to your pediatrician about it? Maybe he/she can provide some perspective.
  • Options
    @schuberta oh no that sounds awful dealing with it while trying to take care of an infant. They didn't have too much to offer at the pediatrician other than to keep him away from the newborn. I'm confused as to how long it's contagious as I've heard so many different things. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh no!! That sounds rough, no advice on the HFM but I'm sorry you are having to deal with it now on top of everything else. :/

• Options
    Ugh! That sounds terrible! We've never had to deal with it either, but I totally understand you wanting to keep the baby in longer now! Hang in there mama!
  • Options
    Yikes! Sorry to hear about the HFM. It sounds awful! Seems to be going around. :( I hope it clears before the new baby arrives. I don't have any advice but will be thinking of you.
  • Options
    My son had HFM a week before my second arrived. My in laws INSISTED on watching him even though we told them he had it and symptoms may not show in adults and they won't be able to visit the newborn until we know for sure they're clear of it. Well, they decided to come to the hospital anyway. Baby is a week old today and no signs of it so that's good news I guess but I definitely know where you are coming from. There's not much you can do except for be cautious and keep you and your families hands clean. Hopefully everything turns out okay for you. 
  • Options
    Oh that's awful. I don't have experience with it but just wanted to share that ill be thinking of you and hopefully this passes over. So sorry!   

• Options
    Sorry to hear that pesky HFM made its way around. Here's hoping your family doesn't come down with it. 
  • Options
    @bartonolivia thanks for sharing. Did you ever get it? Were you worried about being a carrier for it? I'm so torn and upset right now, crying every other minute. I just want to cuddle both of my babies :(
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are dealing with this on top of a potential induction!! I believe the incubation period for HFM is 3-6, and then is at its peak for about a week, though it can stay in the system longer without showing. Not hugely encouraging, but at least an approximate timeline to work with and wrap your head around? I hope that the fever your DS had was unrelated! Thinking about you! 
    Natural M/C 03.26.2012 at 10w2d
    Charlotte born at 28w3d due to severe IUGR on 12.24.2012 Merry Christmas!
    Missed M/C discovered 12.22.2014 at 8w1d measuring 6w3d
    2015 was a year to test strength of both body and character, but it led us to this... BFP 01.26.2016 EDD 9.30.2016