August 2016 Moms
Options

Breast milk supply still hasn't come in

jackiesue110jackiesue110 member
edited August 2016 in August 2016 Moms
I had a c section a week ago now and supply still hasn't come in. I can average maybe half an ounce total during pumping from both breasts total if I'm lucky. The LO lost a pound in two days so we have been having to supplement formula. I start out by having him feed from each breast and then giving him the bottle. Problem is he won't feed very long from the breast and will fall asleep after a few minutes even though I try to keep him simulated (skin to skin, rub head, feet, hands, arms) and then when he unlatches and wakes up he will refuse to latch again and just wants the bottle. I'm thinking it is easier to get fed from the bottle and he knows this so he won't really try on the breasts. I'm discouraged because my milk supply still hasn't come in and the way he doesn't want to feed from me. I'm trying power pumping (5 on 5 off), breastfeeding 8 to 12 times a day and then pumping, lactation tea/cookies but I still don't have a big enough supply to feed LO. I also have a thyroid disease which the LC and nurses always ask about. Any one else experience this? Any advice?

Re: Breast milk supply still hasn't come in

• Options
    Hi, you might have more responses if you ask this over in the breast feeding thread. You can also join the c-section support thread. Lots of us have had challenges with supply and having to supplement so reading through both might help you. 

Sounds like LO is having some nipple confusion which might be contributing to your supply difficulties.  You might try alternatives to bottle feeding like using a syringe, a supplement tube while breast feeding, spon or cup feeding.  A lactation consultant can help with all of these. 

• Options
    It sounds like your milk has come in and this is more of a supply and demand issue. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How is his latch?  Has your LO been checked for tongue tie?  (Often done by pediatric dentistry.)  Also hand expression might be more efficient than a hospital grade pump.  Fenugreek with blessed thistle is a commonly used regime - avoid if you have asthma.   Also make sure you are eating and drinking well.  I aim for 70 grams of protein a day (this helped my supply a lot - but I still have poor supply) and plenty of fluids.  Some advise Gatorade and oatmeal.  Try to see an LC as soon as possible.  Some also advocate for craniosacral therapy. 
  • Options
    Are you working with an LC? I have chronic low supply so I'll never be able to exclusively breastfeed but I'm working on increasing my supply. I'm using a supplemental nursing system, which is a tube that runs along my nipple so my baby gets formula at the same time he's breastfeeding. Because he's getting more, he sucks harder and stays more interested. This provides more stimulation to my nipple, which helps to increase supply. This might help you as well.
    Married 6/20/2015
    Mirena removed 7/6/2015
    TTC#1 July 2015
    BFP 12/4/2015
    Sam born 8/4/2016

• Options
    (Lurking from the April 2016 board). I had this problem after a c-section as well. My advice to you is to KEEP PUMPING. I was given the advice from a nurse that you need to stimulate your breasts at least 8 times a day to establish milk supply. So if the baby doesn't stay on long enough, you need to pump for at least 20 mins to keep the milk supply going. I now pump roughly every three hours and it's more than enough to feed my baby. Because it took so long for my supply to come in, I now have to EP bc she wouldn't feed on the breast, but at least she is getting the breastmilk. I actually have enough for an extra bottle everyday which I normally freeze to keep as a back up.
  • Options
    See a lactation consultant ASAP. I had the same issues with my two kids and found taking three Fenugreek pills three times a day (yup, nine pills a day) is the only thing that helped my milk come in. I also eat oatmeal once a day in conjunction with the Fenugreek. It is sold at GNC or online. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker