February 2016 Moms

Water.. when and how?

Hello ladies! My LO is close to 7 months and I still only have him with breastmilk and puree foods. I'm thinking about giving him water but I'm not sure as to what type of cup and is there any kind of special water? Obviously purified but is it ok to use bottled water like arrowhead or dasani? 
Help olease! 

Re: Water.. when and how?

• We give our little guy a sippy cup with water at mealtimes. He...hasn't really figured out how it works yet, but at least it's good practice. The few times he's actually sucked some water out he was not impressed with the flavor! Mostly he just plays with it.

Also, for the record, since LO puts everything in his mouth these days and is therefore exposed to all the germs anyway, we just use tap water...purified water is still probably a good idea though.
  • My LO uses an open top doidy cup. She needs my help with it, but loves sipping water with her meals! She is 6 months and EBF with some solids now. She didn't mind the taste! I've been told by health visitors that tap water is safe from 6 months 
  • Loading the player...
  • We use a doidy cup too, I help him hold it, he likes the handles, just an oz or two at meal times for practice, little boy is breastfed and three solid meals a day, so the water is just for practice with a cup. 
  • jarob747jarob747 member
    edited September 2016
    About the same as OP here. I EBF with solids at least 2x a day. I give a regular cup of ice water several times a day usually when i take a drink because he wants my glass of water and my DS loves it. I also offer a sippy cup with meals but he hasn't yet figured it out either but enjoys chewing on it. 
    ETA we have well water and I simply give him water from the tap or through the fridge ice and water. 
  • My son never wants to drink from his sippy cup, but if I have a bottle of water in my hand, he always grabs for it. I'll give him a little and he loves it. Must be the cup thing. 
  • Those of you giving water from a regular cup, about how much do you think your LO takes? Just curious. I also give "sips" from my own cups of water, but I don't think he manages to actually swallow much of it. Mostly it ends up dribbling down his chest. :-)
  • We skipped the sippy and went straight for a straw cup at 6 months (flexible silicone straw, definitely not a hard plastic one). I offer it during "meals", and occasionally during the day. I like the straw cup because she can hold/control it herself, but I want to find our old doidy cup to let her practice that, too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jarob747jarob747 member
    edited September 2016
    @=caenis= I probably give him about 4 oz a day total of water. He really likes ice water and when it's hot or he's nibbling on Gerber graduate stars or teething wafers he doesn't necessarily want to nurse but needs a drink so I give him water frequently in a regular small plastic cup :) he does dribble a lot, bit I see him actually drinking and swallowing too so I know he is taking it in. I refresh his cup many times through the day but id say probably a total of at least 4 oz a day.