November 2016 Moms

Dumb Questions - September Edition

Re: Dumb Questions - September Edition

• During the winter months, my babies pretty much live in footie pjs.  Pants seem less comfortable on a newborn, and the pj's just seem comfortable and cozy.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• I second the jammies - warm and fleecy - though not so great when the poop leaks out.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the plain long sleeve onsies under the short sleeves. My son was born in September and we did that with him often for the first few months. I do also buy sweaters or zip up sweatshirts because I think they are adorable and just another added layer that can be easily taken off if you go somewhere that keeps the heat a little higher.
  • Mamas who BF.. Are nursing tops a necessity or can you make do? And how many do I need? 
  • kristah2 said:
    Mamas who BF.. Are nursing tops a necessity or can you make do? And how many do I need? 
    Not a necessity. Nursing bras are, however. I found what was best in the beginning was to wear a normal (usually more flowy) top with a stretchy tank underneath. When I needed to nurse, I'd pull up the top shirt and down the tank with my bra and that way I was able to nurse without exposing my belly and back. I never tried the actual shirts that are made for nursing, but I never felt like I was missing out. 

You can buy the nursing tanks that attach to your bra so that they pull down easily when you unclip the bra, and there are also tutorials on how to DIY those, but again, I just used a regular tank top that had some stretch and it was fine. 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't/don't plan to use nursing tops, but I did buy one for bed because our house is cold and that way I can stay warmer.   I just made sure that my shirt went up or down and used a cover if I was out.  Dresses were harder but I have a couple that work.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • @kristah2 I didn't use nursing tops but I wore a nursing bra and nursing tank under my normal tops. The bra and tank unsnapped and pulled down, I'd lift my shirt, and then only my breast was exposed. I liked the tanks too because they kept everything in place and smooth after giving birth. 

But to each their own. My sister nursed a very long time and she didn't use nursing bras or anything. She just lifted her shirt and pulled her bra to the side. But I didn't like my stomach exposed like that. 
    Awesome Kid #1: Born September 2013!
    Awesome Kid #2: Due November 2016!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kvruns
    I saw this on pinterest , it may or may not help. I am always scared of overdressing and underdressing! 
    How to dress baby for a great night sleep
  • Bad10Wolf said:
    @kvruns
    I saw this on pinterest , it may or may not help. I am always scared of overdressing and underdressing! 
    How to dress baby for a great night sleep
    This is AWESOME! 
  • squish143squish143 member
    edited September 2016
    @kristah2 I used a nursing tank top for the first few weeks home with ds but after that just wore a regular tank top that I wear under all of my clothes everyday anyway and then whatever normal shirt I wanted. I did not wear a bra #noshame I just put my nursing pads right in the tank top and then I would lift my shirt up and my tank down on whichever side I was feeding on. My belly would be covered, and you couldn't really see anything else because baby's head was in the way. If people were over I would cover just because I knew it would make some people uncomfortable. Also if he unlatched quickly I wouldn't give random people a show. Edit because autocorrect stinks
  • Dumb question ------ Does anybody else hips hurt especially at night? Sleeping on my side is almost unbearable and I cant sleep on my back or belly (obviously) so sleeping has become a thing of the past. I meant to ask my doctor about it at my last appointment, but they run me off so fast that I forget to ask questions! 
    If you have this problem, what have you done to fix it? I have a pregnancy pillow, but that just seems to prop up my belly which ends up putting even more pressure on my hips. 
    My hips and surrounding muscles have been hurting a lot more with this pregnancy (#3) than with my first two. I am carrying her lower than the boys so I think that has something to do with it. I use a body pillow for sleeping and sometimes it works well and I get okay sleep and other times, no. 
    I have tried moving my legs into different positions using the pillow (ie., fetal position, somewhat on my back with hip more in a side position). 
  • @MrsBigTime @aquasocks Do you have a style/brand that you really like?
  • hoosiermama-2hoosiermama-2 member
    edited September 2016
    Did you BF mamas use nipple cream/balm/butter? If yes, how much did you go through? :#

Someone bought the 1.8 oz jar on our BBB registry. I have a jar on the Amazon registry, wondering if I should remove it?
  • @MrsBigTime @aquasocks Do you have a style/brand that you really like?
    Do you mean bras/nursing tanks?
    I loved the gap maternity camis. They aren't nursing, but they are stretchy and comfortable for my ginormous I cups. 

I wore the tanks exclusively in the beginning and went to Nordstrom a few weeks in to get fitted. I had great luck with some Anita bras - very comfortable, supportive and not too spendy. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The post about birth control while breastfeeding got me thinking about the fact that we're going to start trying for #2 in May or June (I know, I'm certifiably insane - my husband wanted to start trying again in February so at least I'm not as crazy as him). But I've always heard that it's difficult to get pregnant while breastfeeding. Is this just an old wives tale? Who has experience with this?
  • The post about birth control while breastfeeding got me thinking about the fact that we're going to start trying for #2 in May or June (I know, I'm certifiably insane - my husband wanted to start trying again in February so at least I'm not as crazy as him). But I've always heard that it's difficult to get pregnant while breastfeeding. Is this just an old wives tale? Who has experience with this?
    I wouldn't say it's difficult but I know 2 people that miscarried while BF and I do know BF puts you at a higher mc rate... I was told it's because BF causes your uterus to contract more. I would talk to your ob about it...
  • RE: getting pregnant while BF'ing... it can be harder. For me my period didn't come back until I had stopped breastfeeding. I stopped taking BC when DD was 7 months old and stoppd BF'ing around 10 months and that's when I finally got my cycle back. Not everyone will react the same however, some women get their periods while BF'ing it just depends. I'm sure there are women on this board who were still BF'ing when they found out they were pregnant and might still be BF'ing. Age might also be a factor for me since I was 36 at the time and am currently 38, so maybe my cycle doesn't bounce back as quickly anymore.

If I were you Id buy a bunch of the Wondfo Ovulation predictors off Amazon when you were ready to start trying again (they are super cheap) to get a better idea of when you were actually ovulating. It might help eliminate some frustration.
  • @MrsMaryK2016 I didn't get my period back with either kid until I was 14-15 months post partum. But based on my previous birth month boards, that's somewhat unusual. They recommend that BFing mothers definitely start using some additional form of BC by about 6 months post partum, or sooner, so I think a lot of women have fertility return around then. In that case, you might be all set! Also, many women have their periods return shortly after they night wean, so that's something you can try down the road to help you get pregnant faster. The Wondfos are probably a good idea too since post partum cycles can be wonky for a while.
  • @MrsMaryK2016 I got my period back 5 months postpartum with DS. He was exclusively breastfed and I got pregnant again when he was 8 months old, but I miscarried. We were in the middle of the weaning process (down to 2 feedings a day) when I got pregnant with this LO.
  • Dumb question and I'll ask at my next appointment in three weeks, but shouldn't my Dr. be collecting a urine sample at every appointment? With my first I was checked every visit and the OB nurses were very paranoid that I leave one every time. This time I've moved states and I'm seeing my regular practitioner. I was checked the first visit to confirm that I was indeed pregnant and once around 25 weeks because I had weird spotting so she checked for a UTI, which there was none. I was just there last week at 32 weeks and didn't think to ask, until now. Is it weird or not a big deal?
  • My OBs office stopped doing urine samples recently. With my first they did them but with this one no one has ever collected one from me. I asked why and they said that their studies showed it was mostly unnecessary since the reason they did them ( to diagnose things like uti's and such) had other warning signs and could be identified without the sample taken at every appointment. I thought it was weird too but then was just glad I didn't have to pee into a cup.
  • For the second pregnancy now, I have to come with an early morning urine sample every time. I actually forgot the cup for the next go-around, so I guess we'll see if they care that I'm unprepared. Maybe it's just subjective to the practice and/or state?
  • With my last pregnancy, they stopped collecting samples partway through pregnancy.  They said that it was no longer recommended based on the research, like @rspalding001 said.  It was a university hospital/doctor so it made sense they were up on the new recommendations.  We'very since changed insurance, and I have a new doctor, and they still do it every appointment.  I'm surprised that 2 years later the new recommendations haven't trickled down, but I figure it's not worth a fight.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• I havery a friend who had trouble getting pregnant (9 months I think) while she was BFing her first.  She weaned and then it happened quickly.  They expected the same thing to happen after her 2nd, but it happened no problem while still BFing.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Okay, I have one. 

My my husband and I are talking about the epidural and whether or not I should get one, he wants to avoid it if possible, but I don't handle pain well at all. I want one, but I don't want to discredit what he thinks or has to say about his child, so any STM out there that didn't have the epidural, or that did, any advice you can give to help me convince him it's not as bad, or to tell me more about it? 
  • eribeau said:
    Okay, I have one. 

My my husband and I are talking about the epidural and whether or not I should get one, he wants to avoid it if possible, but I don't handle pain well at all. I want one, but I don't want to discredit what he thinks or has to say about his child, so any STM out there that didn't have the epidural, or that did, any advice you can give to help me convince him it's not as bad, or to tell me more about it? 
    What are his reasons for not wanting you to get one? Honestly I feel like this one is not at all his call to make. 

With my first, my goal was to go without an epidural, but after 18ish hours of hard painful labor, and 36 hours of no sleep, my body was exhausted. I needed that couple hours of a break before having to push out my son. And even then, my body was still so exhausted I fainted just after delivery. I never felt like a failure for having to "give in" and get the epidural. it wasn't a big deal at all like I had built it up in my head beforehand. 

I think your husband may change change his mind after seeing you in intense pain. Mine was begging me to get it for hours. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • eribeau said:
    Okay, I have one. 

I did not have an epidural and can say that in my experience it hurts as you're pushing but as soon as the baby is out, the pain stops. That being said **and maybe a TW** I could literally feel myself tear as she came out. So if that's something that might freak you out, then listen to your needs and go for the epidural. Respecting his opinion is all well and good, but it's also not his body that's about to do this work.

Good luck!
  • Thanks for the reassurance on the urine samples.  

@eribeau I had an epidural because if I have the option not to feel pain I take it. I'm glad I did because the hospital also started me on pitocin since my water broke and my contractions hadn't started. The pitocin makes your contractions hurt more. When I was on the epidural my husband looked at me and asked how I was, I replied great, because he could see I was having my biggest contraction yet. Thankfully I was able to not feel it and was able to relax a bit before the pushing. You can push for a long time and the classes I took didn't prepare me for that part. Plus, when the baby was crowning they had me stop pushing so the Dr. could come in for the final delivery. It happens fast but the nurses have to prepare for the Dr. too. I've heard it's called the ring of fire as the head comes out. Many women don't have the epidural and it's your choice not his, I just don't like pain. Why is he against it? Does the needle in your back to insert it freak him out? It didn't hurt any worse than a regular shot in the arm. You do have to sit very still if you experience a contraction while it's being inserted, but it wasn't too hard to do. 

• eribeau said:
    Okay, I have one. 

I have had 3 vaginal deliveries 2 with an epidural and 1 without. I'm one of those lucky people who doesn't have long labors at all and my first 2 labors were wonderful I got the epidural about an hour after getting to the hospital both times and I was already 5-6cm by then active labor for me only lasted 8.5hr and 7.5 only at the hospital 4-5hrs before delivery best experiences I could have ever asked for! As for my 3rd I was in labor less then 2hrs I didn't have time for an epidural and it was the most painful thing I have ever gone through I didn't want anymore kids after having her because it hurt so bad. It tramatized me I have anxiety about going into labor this pregnancy because of my last delivery. Everyone is different but if you can't handle pain very well get an epidural you want to enjoy giving birth not be tramatized by the pain or being to tired to push. And as another person mentioned your DH might change his mind once he sees you in such intense pain. I would definitely express to him that you will try to go as long as possible without it (if your comfortable) but that once it becomes to much that you will be getting one. 
  • do you wash the pump parts every time you use it? I think I saw something about putting things in the fridge? I'm leaning toward EPing and now I'm afraid I'll be doing dishes 24/7 if I do that
  • kvruns said:
    do you wash the pump parts every time you use it? I think I saw something about putting things in the fridge? I'm leaning toward EPing and now I'm afraid I'll be doing dishes 24/7 if I do that
    I did because the milk gets in other places and you don't wanted dried milk left in any parts. But I didn't pump unless I had too it was much easier just to BF then to pump for me. 
  • shevaCCshevaCC member
    edited September 2016
    kvruns said:
    do you wash the pump parts every time you use it? I think I saw something about putting things in the fridge? I'm leaning toward EPing and now I'm afraid I'll be doing dishes 24/7 if I do that
    @kvruns Nope, I washed mine once a day. It was enough of a pain to pump 3x a day at work. Didn't want to add any more steps. Just like you put the breastmilk in the fridge after pumping, you can put the pump parts in too.

Where I worked before, there was a mini fridge in the new mother's room, and you'd see several cooler bags w/milk plus gallon Ziplocs with pump parts by the end of the day.

ETA - not sure why you're considering EPing, but if you're open to trying BFing, it's harder at first but gets way better by 6-8 weeks. EPing is really tough, with none of the snuggles.
  • shevaCC said:
    kvruns said:
    @kvruns Nope, I washed mine once a day. It was enough of a pain to pump 3x a day at work. Didn't want to add any more steps. Just like you put the breastmilk in the fridge after pumping, you can put the pump parts in too.

Where I worked before, there was a mini fridge in the new mother's room, and you'd see several cooler bags w/milk plus gallon Ziplocs with pump parts by the end of the day.

ETA - not sure why you're considering EPing, but if you're open to trying BFing, it's harder at first but gets way better by 6-8 weeks. EPing is really tough, with none of the snuggles.
    I just dont really have a desire to BF. It isn't off the table, I may consider it but when I talked to an LC at an event months ago she actually suggested it to me so I've kept it in mind as an alternative to still getting some benefits vs just doing formula. 
  • There are wipes for the pumps that you can get at babies r us. I washed/sanitized once a day and used wipes between pumping. You can also put the parts in a sterilizing bag with some water and pop it in the microwave for a minute. I also put the parts in the dishwasher (top rack, or they warp) at night when I ran it. So you have options on several ways to clean the parts while saving your sanity on washing. 
  • eribeau said:
    Okay, I have one. 

I am a FTM but also curious about your husband's reasons. I'm hoping for a med-free birth, but everything I've heard and read includes the fact that you need to be mentally all-in (and practice!) if it's going to work. Maybe remind your husband that your stress during delivery can affect the baby, and that the delivery will be healthier all around if you're able to relax — and in this case, that includes pain relief. 
  • Thanks for all the input so far. 
    His reasoning is that his research and his family (who are all very traditional mess free birth) have told him it is basically drugging the baby, and they aren't their selves right after birth. He has said that ultimately it's my body, and he understands if I need it, then he will be the first person to tell them to do it. He says he is also nervous because at my hospital to get the epidural you're only allowed to have the mom and the anesthesiologist in the room, no family whatsoever. And that makes him nervous because he won't be able to be there for everything. 
  • Okay really dumb question coming...
    if I have a c section will I still need depends etc or does my list of needs change? 
  • If you have a c-section, you will still bleed. It's your choice if you want to use pads (the hospital provides them and mesh underwear) or you can use depends. I don't know how the depends sit on incision area though, so maybe someone else can answer that. 
  • It's very important to check urine through out pregnancy. How else would they know if a pregnant patient develops preeclampsia
  • @sarahh781 they only check for me if bp very high and or you have other symptoms like pain in specific areas