Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&C - Local Anesthesia

weareturtlesweareturtles member
edited September 2016 in Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
I've already been through misoprostol 4 times since August 5th when we learned we lost our twins. After all of this, I still have a small amount ~1cm of retained tissue, so my OB is having me go through a D&C on 9/12.

Questions/Concerns:

1. The D&C will be using local anesthesia and ibuprofen / hydrocodone (vicodin), so I will be awake. Has anyone been through this awake who can comment on it?

2. I've never used any pain medication stronger than ibuprofen and I get panicky when my head doesn't feel like I can think clearly, so I am legitimately scared of taking hydrocodone (vicodin). I know I *should* take it because I don't want to get there and not be able to go through the procedure because it is too painful, but I am scared...

3. DH is taking the morning off work to be with me for the procedure. Should he plan on staying home with me all day afterwards or is it okay for him to go to work afterwards?

4. What's the recovery like? I am supposed to work the rest of the week (I have a very active job).

Thanks in advance for your help!
*TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
BFP#1 - 7.1.16, (mo-di twins + singleton) due 3.15.17
MC singleton - 7.13.16 - 5w
MMC identical twins - 8.5.16 - 8w+2d
Misoprostol 4x
D&C - 9.12.16
Hysteroscopy - 11.21.16 - Retained tissue filling half of uterus removed, blocked left tube, benched for 2 cycles, on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days
HSG - 2.7.17 - Asherman's Syndrome. Both tubes open.
Hysteroscopy 2.13.17 - Incomplete adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days. At least two more surgeries needed...
Hysteroscopy 3.21.17 - Adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days.
TTCAL #1: 4.24.17
Hysteroscopy 5.23.17 - Scars reformed. Adhesiolysis. Unsure what to do next...
Fertility acupuncture - started 6.13.17

Re: D&C - Local Anesthesia

• I had a d & c but was out for my procedure.  It was not under heavy anesthesia and woke up minutes after procedure was complete.  I was given prescription for hydrocodone but I never took it. In fact, I didn't even take any ibuprofen afterwards.   I went to lunch with husband afterwards.  They did tell my husband to stay home with me that day as I couldn't drive after being under anesthesia.  I was told that I could return to work the next day.  I physically felt like I needed a couple days off of work.  I took a week though as emotionally I needed more time.  I was also told I could return to exercising the next day.  I took a week off from that too and when I returned I had a lot of bleeding so Doctor told me to take another week to let body heal.  I did and no issues after that.  I know my situation is not exactly what you will got through but thought it could give you some insight as to what to expect.  I hope all goes well 
  • I've had two D&Cs, though I was under general anesthesia for both. The bleeding and pain was much less than with the natural MCs. I chose to work from home the day following both procedures, but was able to resume normal activity almost immediately with ibuprofen for pain/cramping.

For the first several hours, the bleeding was moderate to heavy, but tapered off in a few days. The hardest thing with d&c vs natural mc (other than the obvious fact that both are shitty) for me was that it took much longer for af to come back after the d&c. I recommend getting the overnight (extra long) maxi pads and a a pack of personal wipes to clean up when you get home. 
    “Be present in all things and thankful for all things.”  ~Maya Angelou

~~~~ TW ~~~~~~

Me: 40    DH: 39
    Married 12.19.13
    BFP #1 1/14, MC 2/14 (6wks)
    BFP #2 1/15, MMC/D&C 3/15 (12wks)
    BFP #3 6/15, MC 8/15 (9wks)
    BFP #4 4/16, MC 4/16 (5wks)
    BFP #5 7/16, MMC 8/16 (10 wks)
    BFP #6 3/4 , EDD 11/9/17
  • Loading the player...
  • I would consider having your husband be with you the rest of the day so you can have the emotional support you need and just for anything else you may need.
    I have a fairly active job as well and I ended up taking a few days off. The pain wasn't too bad, it was enough to make me uncomfortable. I bled for about two weeks after my d&c. I agree with pp about AF with a d&c vs natural mc. 
  • I would definitely have him home with you the rest of the day. Physically you might be ok but emotionally you will likely want him with you. 
  • Thanks for the input everyone!

I had the D&C this morning with just oral pain meds and a local block. The hydrocodone (vicodin) I was prescribed (10mg) + 800mg Ibuprofen did very little if anything for me as far as pain goes. I actually couldn't tell that anything was different. I could very much feel pain. A lot of pain.

For anyone thinking of doing the D&C without going under general anesthesia, I will warn you - I was given a local block into my cervix (multiple places) and that hurt a lot! They first had to clamp my cervix to hold it in place (not comfortable) and then put a needle into my cervix about 4 times to inject lidocaine (local anesthetic). The doctor was honest and said the injection was going to hurt. Well, she was right.

Interestingly, I actually passed out from a vasovagal reflex. Basically my blood pressure (which is already quite low) got even lower while she was injecting, causing me to pass out. I came to after she was done injecting and the clamp was removed and it was a very scary feeling - I couldn't move my arms/legs, my vision was completely blurry, I couldn't form sentences/speak, my hearing was gone/fuzzy (I could tell the Dr. was speaking to me but couldn't tell what she was saying). She had DH come in to be with me at that point and he said it was very scary seeing me like that - completely out of it, eyes glazed over, unresponsive. Eeek. Over 5-10 minutes, I came to and went back to normal. Very scary experience.

The actual D&C that followed that experience was fine - the last dilator that was inserted hurt quite a bit, and then when she was scraping my uterus at a few different points it definitely hurt a whole lot. I just had to focus on breathing, but I definitely think a few expletives came out. (Oops!)

I also had my HCG levels checked. I'm still at ~200 and that's almost 6 weeks post miscarriage. My levels only went down ~450 in the last 2 weeks. Dr. says it will be up to 6 weeks before I am back to normal because the last 6 weeks don't count as far as recovery from miscarriage since I had the tiniest amount of tissue still inside me. She obliged my request to follow my HCG levels down to zero so that I know where I'm at.

While that was not the most miserable experience of my life, I don't think I would want to do it again. As much as I am afraid of general anesthesia (for no good reason, honestly!), I think I would probably want to go under if there was a next time. (Fingers crossed there never is a next time for any of us!)
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
    Hysteroscopy - 11.21.16 - Retained tissue filling half of uterus removed, blocked left tube, benched for 2 cycles, on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days
    Hysteroscopy 2.13.17 - Incomplete adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days. At least two more surgeries needed...
    Hysteroscopy 3.21.17 - Adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days.
  • Ugh that sounds pain full.  I'm glad you are "somewhat" back to normal.  Hopefully you can start to heal now.  I wish you well 
  • I am so sorry you experienced that!!!  Did you have the option of general anesthesia? For my D&C I was so panicked that I couldn't wait for something to calm me down. 
  • I wasn't given the option. It was a lot cheaper ($30 vs. $500) to do it as an office visit with local anesthesia, but man, it was hard. 

The doctor asked me if I had taken any meds because I was very lucid. She was right. I was, despite all the meds. She said they should have given me valium, but that doesn't do anything for pain, just anxiety. I wasn't anxious, just in pain.
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
  • My heart is sad for you! No one should have to do that! 
  • @Redpuma119 I agree.  No should experience that 
  • I am so sorry you had that experience - I can only imagine how painful that must have been.
    “Be present in all things and thankful for all things.”  ~Maya Angelou

~~~~ TW ~~~~~~

Me: 40    DH: 39
    Married 12.19.13
    BFP #1 1/14, MC 2/14 (6wks)
    BFP #2 1/15, MMC/D&C 3/15 (12wks)
    BFP #3 6/15, MC 8/15 (9wks)
    BFP #4 4/16, MC 4/16 (5wks)
    BFP #5 7/16, MMC 8/16 (10 wks)
    BFP #6 3/4 , EDD 11/9/17
  • Um that is absolutely horrible! !!! I am so sorry you experienced all that pain AND did misoprostol 4 TIMES? ??? I would seriously question your doctor, I'm sorry. That is inhumane to put you through that procedure like that and that time frame.

I'm so sorry you are still going through this. It should have been over and done with ASAP with anesthesia if the first two misoprostol didn't work. You are in my thoughts as you deal with the memories of that! I pray you never have to experience that again. But if you do, please don't allow your doctor to do that to you again! <3

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs: