Postpartum Depression

If you are on medication

What are you on? And did you get it through your OB or did you have to go to see someone else to get a prescription?

I am 8 weeks PP and at my 6 weeks I pretty much broke down to my OB. She sent me to talk to someone. I went twice and my third appointment was yesterday and I canceled it because I wasn't interested and I wasn't crazy about the woman. But things have gotten much worse in the past week and I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should just call my OB and ask for some kind of prescription.

Re: If you are on medication

• I would call your OB and ask for a recommendation for a psychaitrist. Once you get on the right meds you will feel so much better! Don't worry it will be ok!
  • I was on Zoloft 50 mg because I wanted to breastfeed.  I got on it about 2 weeks postpartum (early I know but from what I was told I was suffering from way more then the "baby blues").  It took a good week and half - two weeks to really start seeing a difference, but once I did it was like night and day.  Everything got so much better.  I weaned off it at about 6 months postpartum (1/2 dose for a few weeks, then 1/4 dose for a few weeks and then off).  I was very hesitant about getting on medication, but I am so glad that I did.  PPD/PPA is no joking matter.  Its real and it is horrible.  

• Loading the player...
  • For some, it is such important part of your recovery to find a good therapist. You might not click with the first one you see and that's ok. It took me 3 tries in college to find one I liked. My psychiatrist who's treating me now for the PPD says that taking the medicine is only part of the treatment. Talk therapy is more effective for some people than medicine, just depends on the person. I went almost a month due to various circumstances without an appointment and it's set me back so far in my recovery. PPD isn't just a myth and it can linger (my daughter is 8 months old), so hopefully you start to get better again!
  • 20mg of Prozac. Prescribed for PPD, OCD and anxiety. I haven't been on it long enough yet to see a difference.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Me (26) & DH (31) expecting first baby 1/19/2016!
  • Zoloft 150mg and Wellbutrin 150mg--seem to work well (not as well as my pre-ttc Lexapro Rx, but well enough).
    Hope the OP is feeling better--hugs to all!
  • Lexapro and it has helped tremendously for PPA! 
  • Shortly after this post my mom dragged me to the doctor (thankfully) and I've been on 20 mg of Prozac since. It has worked wonders. I am finally back to myself, for the most part. I went to my primary care and I've been seeing him about every 3 weeks. Good luck everyone! 
  • For those who have come off of meds, how did you know you were ready to wean?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Currently on Zoloft 100mg for postpartum anxiety/OCD. Not noticing enough of a difference yet, but my counselor told me I probably won't feel better til I get to 150-200mg (if it works at all), especially since my symptoms are severe. I'm seeing two different therapists currently and going to try hypnotherapy as well. We shall see.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel much better on Lexapro!