February 2016 Moms

Ergo back carry?

I don't wear my little guy a ton, mostly walking the dogs, camping and events like the dog show we are going to this weekend.  I've been reading a few places the back carry is so much better than front carry and I'm wondering if anyone here who babywears has an opinion. I'm mostly interested if you think babies can see more in a back carry. I've read they do, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how. My back is fine with him in front for now, but I have a history of back problems and I am older, so I'd be interested to know if you think it's easier on the back as well. Thanks!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Ergo back carry?

• Hmm. I don't wear my LO on my back yet (won't until he can sit up on his own), but I do think ergonomically it has to be better for you. Putting weight in the front makes you kind of hunch/bend over, which is really rough on your back. There's probably a good reason we (or, ehm, you know, humans in general) traditionally carry heavy loads on our backs for longer distances.

As far as whether or not it's better for LO - that I really don't know! I bet by this age they're just happy to be held and don't mind so much if it's front or back. :)
  • I mostly wear in the front with my Ergo- I did a hike a few weeks ago and wore him on my back (I had worn him front that morning blueberry picking and was feeling like I needed to balance myself out lol).  I hated not being able to see him. I kept asking my husband how he was doing (he was always fine). He was content, but he is usually content being work in the front too.  I relaxed after a while and we were very comfortable. 

The big problem came when he fell asleep! He had no head support and his head was lolling around. I felt like his head was just flopping straight back.  I basically walked hunched over so his head would rest on my back for 1/3 of the hike until I could take him off. That was NOT comfortable
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @charliegoldengirl and @=caenis= !  I do enjoy being able to interact with him when we're doing a front carry, though to be honest he mostly looks around and ignores me.  :) The head thing worries me too. Well, maybe I'll stick with front for now while we're both still comfortable with it and revisit it if my back starts giving me problems. 

• I use woven wraps and started back carries a few weeks ago. It's definitely more comfortable for longer walks, especially as he gets heavier. Currently almost 22lbs. He also looks around way more back there and is more stimulated. Doesn't fall asleep as easily. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I tried the back carry in my Tula this week.  My LO loved it and I was able to get chores done much easier.   I also have a Lillebaby which I did a hip carry with (I think you can do that in the Ergo too) and that was a winner.  She passed out and I was able to put up the head support so she didn't bobble around.  We were able to do laundry and dishes.   
  • mamakculbmamakculb member
    edited September 2016
    If your baby is sitting well you are probably fine to do a backcarry in a supportive carrier. I use woven wraps and a Tula for babywearing and my little girl LOVES being on my back. We stay cooler and she gets to watch what's going on more. Try your first couple back carries over a couch or bed and with a spotter to help just in case. There are plenty of youtube videos to help you find the best way for you get baby safely on your back. WrapYouINLove is my favorite babywearing channel! Pictures of back carries from yesterday :blush:

• The big problem came when he fell asleep! He had no head support and his head was lolling around. I felt like his head was just flopping straight back.  I basically walked hunched over so his head would rest on my back for 1/3 of the hike until I could take him off. That was NOT comfortable
    Lurking - if you have the 360 you can use the rain/sun protector in the zipper to support his head when sleeping in the back carry position. Just have it unzipped when you put him in and when he falls asleep put it up and it's breathable enough you don't need to worry. 
  • I appreciate all the advice! I tried the back carry a couple weekends ago. He seemed fine, but to honest I hated it! My husband and mother-in-law were there so they could tell me how he was doing, but I didn't like not being able to see him, snuggle him and give him kisses. I think we'll try again later when we can communicate better so he can tell me he's ok. He felt much lighter in the back carry, so I think it's a great thing. I'm just not ready!