June 2016 Moms

Amber Necklaces

Who's planning on getting one?  I'm all for it if it really helps but I know there are a lot of gimmicks too.

Re: Amber Necklaces

• What's the dealio? This is the first I've heard about amber necklaces.
  • I was curious about these too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard they're good for fussiness and pain, especially when teething. Or so claimed a mom friend of mine with a two year old
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Not to start a debate, but I just can't get behind a baby wearing a necklace. My niece is almost 2 and has been wearing one since she was about 3 months old 24hrs/day and my SIL swears by it though.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Not to start a debate, but I just can't get behind a baby wearing a necklace. My niece is almost 2 and has been wearing one since she was about 3 months old 24hrs/day and my SIL swears by it though.
    I am concerned about the baby pulling it and choking  :#
  • My friend has one and swears by it. Her DD is 7 months and had just started teething.  I believe they have ones that go around the ankle.
  • My cousin swears by them I don't like the way they look and worry about the safety. I might try one on the ankle if she's having a real hard time with teething. 
  • So do they actually chew/suck on it???  Or they just wear it?
  • Just wear it, I was thinking of getting the ankle one, I didn't use one for my boys but teething sucks! Anything that's natural and might help I'm all for, once my first was old enough I'd buy mini bagels and freeze them and then he'd chew on them. As they defrosted I'd just toss them, I know it's kind of a waste but it was the least messy thing I found and he loved it! I think I'll make my own mini bagels for this LO. 
  • I got one as a gift at our baby shower - I think it goes around the ankle.  I haven't even thought about it until now.  I guess when he starts teething I could try it out but it's not something I would have purchased on my own...
  • Amber necklaces are total snake oil and present a major choking hazard.  The premise of it working is that the amber contains succinic acid (with purpoted analgesic properties) which is released when exposed to heat.  

First off, the human body doesn't get hot enough to cause things to leech out of the amber.  

Second, the skin is a pretty good barrier and expecting any useful amount of this alleged analgesic to actually get through it, into the blood and to the relevant area of the body in a quantity that would actually dull pain is foolish. 

If you want to get one, it's your money to spend but there is no scientific evidence that they do anything other than present a choking to a young child. 
    ^this. 
    They became popular when my oldest son was a baby, and I'm honestly surprised people still use them. It's a placebo effect for parents, does nothing to help the baby. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I personally won't do it. The choking hazard bothers me for starters, plus I think they are expensive. My girls didn't really have any teething issues so I'm hoping he won't either. In all honesty I think it's really the placebo effect.