November 2015 Moms
Options

What are you feeding baby these days?

My 9-month old has turned into a little tank. He EATS! I'm amazed at the amount of food he puts away these days. He eats 4x a day at 8, 12, 4 and then 6:30/7, and I swear he consumes more calories than I do during the day. He also still nurses around 4x a day. He's only in the 40th percentile for weight, so he's not even a chunky monkey, I don't know where he puts it. Today already he had two eggs, a yogurt, two pieces of bread, a whole piece of haddock, half an avocado, a bowl of pasta, three figs, another yogurt and a pouch of veggies. I feel like he's going to blow up my grocery bill. I read somewhere this will slow down around 10 months, curious what others are going through...

Re: What are you feeding baby these days?

• Options
    kdoak2015kdoak2015 member
    edited September 2016

Wow that seems like a lot of food, they say until a year baby should get most
    of their calories from BM or formula. I would focus more on filling him up on that then foods. My 9m old is in the 90th percentile for weight(21,13) and she eats no where near that much food. Breakfast is 1/4cup of Cheerios or 1/4 cup of eggs(rough estimate) 1/4 of a banana or other fruits. Lunch is chicken bits/some sort of meat, veggie/fruit and cheese and dinner is meat, carb, fruit, veggie and 
    cheese. It's also all smaller portions. 
  • Options
    I have no idea how much my baby would eat because she has never been happy with me that meal time is over. I had to cut back on her solids a little because she was hardly getting enough formula and was/is dealing with constipation. She definitely prefers solids and would likely eat ALL of the food if given the opportunity. I agree with PP that I would cut back if I were you. BM/formula is higher in calories than most food baby eats and should be their primary source of nutrition. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My goober was eating right about as much as you said until he got sick last week. I offer the boob all the time but he's really into foods, and just won't take any more milk than he does already.

Anyway he often gets fruit and cereal for breakfast, yogurt and fruit as lunch and puréed meat and veggies as dinner. I try to mix it up and give him toast with peanut butter or waffles made with formula, etc. but I'm a little short on ideas. I give him fresh fruit and steamed veggies as finger food with every meal and he eats a lot of crackers and cheerios and those snap pea crisps. If he has avocado he usually eats a whole one at once, and he loves shredded coconut with coconut oil rolled into a ball
  • Options
    LO loves food and prefers it over milk.  We're lucky if we can get him to drink 16 to 18oz a day.  We brought it up at his 9 mo check up.  The pediatrician said that as long as he drinks 16 oz a day, he's getting what he needs.
    I make his soups and he has them twice a day.  Each soup has a protein, 3 veggies, and 1 grain.  He also has fruit purees twice a day and 4 oz of yogurt.  As snacks, we will give him formula and he will drink 3 to 6 oz.  
    The pediatrician is not worried and we're not worried either.  LO is doing well and is very healthy.